Need to cancel my cruise. Help! Insurance ?s

tonijmccann

I am supposed to set sail on Sunday and I've become extremely sick. I bought the Carnival insurance policy. Is there a way for me to just transfer it to another cruise? Like a week or two later or something? I've been looking forward to this cruise for months and we still want to take one.. Or do I have to get a refund? If I have to get a refund, do I get the entire thing? If I have to go get a doctor's note to get 'approved' for insurance, do they send me a specific form for him to fill out or can I just have him write a note?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm kinda panicking. I definitely didn't expect this. I almost didn't buy insurance.. so I now have learned and will ALWAYS buy it!

IF you are not going to be able to sail, I would just call Carnival directly and file your claim.

Insurance is one of those issues that can be very complicated, so you run the risk of getting incorrect information here ( not on purpose).....

hope you get to feeling better and good job buying insurance!!!

IF you are not going to be able to sail, I would just call Carnival directly and file your claim.

Insurance is one of those issues that can be very complicated, so you run the risk of getting incorrect information here ( not on purpose).....

hope you get to feeling better and good job buying insurance!!!

Good advice.

I agree. Call Carnival (or the number provided for the insurance company) with your questions. Each policy is different.

Normally, you will need to cancel your current cruise and then file a claim directly with the insurance company. A refund won't be issued for a few weeks.

Carnival will not just transfer the amount to another sailing. In their eyes, you're not changing dates. You're canceling your cruise and booking a new one. Remember that even if you purchased the insurance through Carnival, the insurance is a 3rd party vendor. You will need to deal with them directly.

The one time we needed to file a claim, we first had to call Carnival to cancel the cruise, THEN we had to contact the insurance company. They emailed us all of the forms that we needed to fill out, along with a list of supporting documentation required to file the claim (proof of payment, copy of Carnival's cancellation policy, proof of reason to file the claim, etc, etc).

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!! The insurance company WILL try to find a loophole to deny your claim! They kept requesting different documentation (beyond the original list) but after a few weeks (and realizing that I had more than enough supporting documentation), they finally approved the claim and we received a check in the mail for the full amount. :)

In our case, we canceled our original September cruise, waited for the insurance refund, then booked a new cruise for December.

I agree. Call Carnival (or the number provided for the insurance company) with your questions. Each policy is different.

Normally, you will need to cancel your current cruise and then file a claim directly with the insurance company. A refund won't be issued for a few weeks.

Carnival will not just transfer the amount to another sailing. In their eyes, you're not changing dates. You're canceling your cruise and booking a new one. Remember that even if you purchased the insurance through Carnival, the insurance is a 3rd party vendor. You will need to deal with them directly.

The one time we needed to file a claim, we first had to call Carnival to cancel the cruise, THEN we had to contact the insurance company. They emailed us all of the forms that we needed to fill out, along with a list of supporting documentation required to file the claim (proof of payment, copy of Carnival's cancellation policy, proof of reason to file the claim, etc, etc).

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!! The insurance company WILL try to find a loophole to deny your claim! They kept requesting different documentation (beyond the original list) but after a few weeks (and realizing that I had more than enough supporting documentation), they finally approved the claim and we received a check in the mail for the full amount. :)

In our case, we canceled our original September cruise, waited for the insurance refund, then booked a new cruise for December.

This was really helpful. Thank you so much.

Archived