San Diego - Transportation from Pier to Airport

dodo bird

• 2 months later...
Since the airport is so close, do you think it is somewhat safe to book a Noon flight out of San Diego or is that making it too tight?

YMMV, but on both cruises into San Diego I would have missed a noon flight. In my case I took the train so it was no big deal. Do a search on this board and there are posts and comments on your question. Short version- San Diego gets very delayed if there is more than 1 ship in port...also nobody disembarks until everyone is cleared by Immigration on board and there are inevitably a few non-citizens who delay things for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
YMMV, but on both cruises into San Diego I would have missed a noon flight. In my case I took the train so it was no big deal. Do a search on this board and there are posts and comments on your question. Short version- San Diego gets very delayed if there is more than 1 ship in port...also nobody disembarks until everyone is cleared by Immigration on board and there are inevitably a few non-citizens who delay things for everyone.

Both times that our cruises have ended in San Diego we also experienced delays. Same thing people don't show up for customs. They called and called the names over and over. The first cruise no one left the ship until about noon. The second time is was about 11 - 11:30. Luckily for us we were traveling with people who had done this before and they told us to spend the night and book a flight for the following morning. It worked out very well as on the last two cruises we would have been soooo stressed out. Good luck.

Thank you for the warnings. We've had delays on most all our cruises into various ports but always seem to end up sitting for hours waiting for our flight. Probably best that way rather than being late.

We have to decide if we chance a 1:30 flight which is just about the last to leave and still arrive the same day or wait until later and take the red eye.

I had a noon flight in April and ended up doing self debarkation--the tag they gave me would not have gotten off until 11:15. We did have a large percentage of non-citizens on our ship which held things up. Once off the ship, we walked straight out of the terminal handing someone our customs form. If there were not road construction going on, you could easily take the bus to the airport. Unfortunately, the stop was moved a block east so it is less convenient. The airport is extremely convenient to the port, probably the most convenient of any port I know.

Archived