specialty dinning

lois1112

I have cruise alone (solo) many times, and have also cruised with friends. When I go with friends I love to do the specailty restuants (princess cruises)

I am doing a solo cruise in May and thinking about doing the specialty resturant solo and wonder if anyone has done this....how was it?

I just sailed on the Allure of the Seas last week - solo - and I had an amazing time.

I ate in the Specialty Restaurants every single night - and it was never a problem. In fact, sometimes, other cruisers at tables around me would initiate conversation - so I never felt truly "alone".

I hope you enjoy your cruise - and don't be nervous about eating alone! :)

I'm a solo diner on land also so I enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants whenever I cruise.

The food is always much better and it's a much quieter dining experience.

I once made a comment to one of the officers on a cruise about how solos are gouged regarding single supplements and the next day I found a letter in my mailbox from that officer providing me with a no surcharge dinner and a bottle of wine in one of their specialty restaurants.

It's your vacation so enjoy it to the max.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

I just sailed on the Allure of the Seas last week - solo - and I had an amazing time.

I ate in the Specialty Restaurants every single night - and it was never a problem. In fact, sometimes, other cruisers at tables around me would initiate conversation - so I never felt truly "alone".

I am entertaining the thought of sailing solo on the Allure in May or June and visiting my brother and his wife in Ft. Lauderdale before or after the cruise. I would like to do the Eastern Caribbean and not the Western Caribbean. My other consideration is to try NCL's Breakaway out of NY in May and June but I have never sailed solo on NCL

I have sailed solo many times but never on this big a ship (sailed solo on Explorer of the Seas-first solo cruise). I would like to try speciality restaurants on some of the nights but would like to join a table in the main dining room for late dining hour on most of the nights.

Did you meet any other solos on this cruise? I enjoy meeting couples, families and other solos on cruises but just was wondering on how many solos cruise on the larger ships.

Thank you for any comments you can provide.

Bernadette

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten solo in the specialty restaurants. It initially felt strange but a funny thing happened. My sense of taste was heightened because all of my attention was on the food, not my tablemate. The food tasted better, the wine more intense.

Try it. You may like it.

I'm pretty sure I read your review of the Allure the other day! Very entertaining read. The Allure and Oasis were final contenders in my decision, but I couldn't justify the extra $1,000 at this point. They are on my list of possible cruises in the future!

I always travel solo and I enjoy the specialty restaurants and have not felt uncomfortable in any of the them, and I have sailed on most of the mass market lines. If anything, I have found the service to be very good as they do a good job of taking care of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived