Independence 6-day Review (1/27-2/2) with photos that WORK!

Did you go to both? Is there one you would recommend over the other? We will probably only do 1.

Thanks for the great review and the warning about Labadee. So upsetting that it was not taken seriously.

I would say that the first formal night felt more festive and was more fun. It was early in the cruise and the vibe was more exciting.

In the past, we have enjoyed formal nights. Now, I think of them as a bit of a nuisance- so much more to pack, etc. (Especially having kids with us and having to pack their formal wear too.) I think in the future we'll do only one of the formal nights, and maybe do a specialty restaurant on the other night.

We did not have the lobster in the MDR on the second formal night, so I can't comment on that!

Thanks for the pictures and the review. We'll be in the Indy in 3 weeks!

Also, good for you to still say you had a great time on your cruise despite the issue at Labadee. Many people would have written off the entire week.

Have a great time...you will love the ship!

Despite what happened in Labadee, we were able to keep things in perspective- it was a wonderful, relaxing trip, everyone stayed healthy, the weather was wonderful and the seas were calm. We enjoyed the food and the service. I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10! :)

Have a great time!

What a great review! We are going to be on the Freedom and after seeing the photos of your room we checked and it is still available for our sailing. Before we switch I had a question for you. Where you are right under the Windjammer was there any noise from above? Could people look down from deck 11 to your balcony? We are light sleepers and are nervous about noise from the Windjammer above. Thank you again for your great review. :)

What a great review! We are going to be on the Freedom and after seeing the photos of your room we checked and it is still available for our sailing. Before we switch I had a question for you. Where you are right under the Windjammer was there any noise from above? Could people look down from deck 11 to your balcony? We are light sleepers and are nervous about noise from the Windjammer above. Thank you again for your great review. :)

Yes, we were right under the Windjammer but didn't hear a thing. I mean, all week- no one in the hallway (the room door is off to the side, in a nook, sort of like a private vestibule), no one from the balconies- it was SILENT. We loved it.

No one could look down on to our balcony, cause the windjammer is glassed in. It was a wonderful cabin- and what a bargain, the same price as a D1!

Oh, some people have complained about the balcony being sooty from the engines- nope, that didn't happen to us, either.

Book it and enjoy it!!!!

You cannot look down onto the balconies from deck 11. If your cabin is on deck 10 you will be under the Windjammer. I cannot comment on the noise issue. However, the Windjammer is carpeted in that area which I would think would keep the noise down if tables and chairs are dragged around.

Edit: I see that your questions were just answered before I posted. :)

When were in port at Falmouth, I bought something with a $20 and my $2 US change was given to me as $15 Jamaican dollars. So bring exact change! I just used the $15 to tip the guitar player outside...but it does make sense to have exact change so you don't wind up with useless money...or with a fake exchange rate! :)

Live and learn!

Hm, I was in Falmouth a few weeks before you. I paid at several stores and one artist in US dollars and got US dollars change back! It's strange that you didn't!

Great review! I loved reliving the Indy experience :)

You cannot look down onto the balconies from deck 11. If your cabin is on deck 10 you will be under the Windjammer. I cannot comment on the noise issue. However, the Windjammer is carpeted in that area which I would think would keep the noise down if tables and chairs are dragged around.

Edit: I see that your questions were just answered before I posted. :)

The floor between Windjammer and the 10th floor staterooms is about 4 feet thick. No noise whatsoever gets through. taje3ema.jpg

Thanks for your review! Sorry to hear about your phone going missing. We are researching Independence of Seas for a January 2014 cruise. I wish we could afford Allure/Oasis. But Independence is good enough for me and our first time with Royal Caribbean.

Thanks for your review! Sorry to hear about your phone going missing. We are researching Independence of Seas for a January 2014 cruise. I wish we could afford Allure/Oasis. But Independence is good enough for me and our first time with Royal Caribbean.

Indy is an awesome ship. You don't have to feel like you are "settling" for less because you are not booking Oasis or Allure.

Couldn't post in your thread about your phone in Labadee, but wanted you to know: my friend Rebecca, dark curly hair, met you shortly after you discovered your phone was missing. She was REALLY HAPPY to hear you got your phone back!

Laura,

Sorry- I just saw this post now. Your friend Rebecca was SO nice! She helped me look for it...please tell her I said thank you. I was so frazzled when it happened I don't think I ever properly thanked her. I hope they had a great trip, as well!

Ice show tickets were distributed free on the Promenade at 8:30am on the first sea day. I got there at 8:15 and the line stretched two-thirds of the way down the Promenade. They started distribution a little early at 8:20 and the line moved very fast (I had my tickets by 8:25). Only one person per party needs to get in line, and they don't need your SeaPass.

We got to the promenade for ice skating tickets at about 11am. No line at all! However, only 5:00pm tickets were available.

So I would say, don't bother with the line if you don't want to see the earlier show.

Also, the show is repeated on the last sea day, so there's no big rush! In hindsight, I might have "saved" the ice show performance for the last sea day, since on the first sea day, there is so much more to explore. Just my two cents!

Oh Missy!! The story of your phone breaks my heart.... even more so that you considered pic of portofino's something to worry about.

I'm so happy you got it back. You raised a stink and it worked, and GOOD FOR YOU!!

It actually reminds me of something that happened to me many years ago. I was in college and took my girlfriend on Monarch for a getaway.

We got to Ocho Rios, and she insisted of having authentic jerk chicken from this local restaurant.

I was a bit paranoid about the cleanliness of the restaurant she chose.

I had nothing... she had her chicken lunch and loved it.

Well, the bill came, two bucks jamaican...

I not thinking and lost in my own world pulls out a $50US and hands it to the waiter.

Well, he was gone FOREVER.

We waited and waited, finally he shows back up.

He said, your change is on the way from the office.

Waited more.

Finally a man shows up, hands me a $10, a few singles, and a bunch of pennies and dimes.

I looked at him like ***.

He said "exchange rate"

I replied, "oh ok"

took my rum filled veins back on board the ship, ate at windjammer, and then jumped into bed for a nap.

Then it dawned on me.

The bill was only $2 Jamaican and the exchange rate is in my favor!

I shot up and ran to the window just to see the ship begin to slide away from the pier.

I was like, hey, he cheated me!

Of course I was the fool who handed him a $50.

Went back to Ocho the next year and as a matter of principle went to that same restaurant, and told my story. They looked at me like the lune I was.

Sad, but funny....I always carry singles and fives to the islands.

Great review. We are doing the transatlantic on Indy at the beginning of April. I have always stayed away from the top aft balconies as I felt they would be dull due to the overhang. You photographs don't look dull, so I expect I have wrong about that. Any thoughts?

Great review. We are doing the transatlantic on Indy at the beginning of April. I have always stayed away from the top aft balconies as I felt they would be dull due to the overhang. You photographs don't look dull, so I expect I have wrong about that. Any thoughts?

No, it was very bright at all times. There was quite a bit of sun on the balcony, depending on time of day and which way we were going, but the cabin and balcony were very bright and cheerful!

And the overhang did not cover the entire balcony- we were able to lay out and catch quite a bit of sun out there, but if you wanted shade, the corner area was perfect for that.

I think this would be a great cabin to take on a transatlantic due to the extra space both in the cabin and on the balcony. Although if you get seasick, I guess it wouldn't be the best place to be, as it is high up and on the aft. We felt very little movement, being in the smooth caribbean!

missy, great review. i appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. we will be going on the 10th of march and was looking forward to Labadee....not sure if i'm so enthusiastic after learning what can happen. do they sell the pouch in the ship gift shop?

Archived