What to do in Victoria???

We are on the Star Princess and arrive at Victoria at 7.00pm and leave at 12.00 midnight.

What are the must do things in Victoria?

It seems a strange time to be on port because of dinner on the ship.

What do people do during this time? Stay on the ship?!

I am really hoping for some responses with ideas and opinions. :)

I'm doing a Carnival line but with this same stop. I don't particulary care about Tea at a old house or walking around a garden which are the two tours that my line offers.

I'm thinking I'm going to grab the nearest taxi and hit a pub for some booze and grub (hoping for maybe a scotch egg (my one egg indulgence on the trip probably or maybe some vinegar chips)....maybe walk around and take a few snaps just to prove I was in Canada.

I've seen that there are some kinda authentic pub type establisments and that there is a shuttle to some park areas. I actually haven't reseached this port very much yet because I know I"m just going to wander around.

We arrived at 6pm on HAL. If you like walking, we just walked off the ship and started walking along the Inner Harbour path with our cameras. It was sunset and we got some great photos. We both enjoyed it a lot. We sailed the 1st week of September, so sunset was a little earlier. In June and July its after 9 pm and August, after 8 pm so you should be able to catch it. If you click on my Alaska Trip report in my signature, Victoria starts on page 5, post #88.

We just stayed on the ship due to it being the last night and the late arrival.

However, we did appear to be in a minority, a lot of people did get off, and the dining room was pretty empty. Personally, I wish they would make the stop at the beginning of the cruise, not at the end, give time for people to see Victoria. Unfortunately, this isn't a stop they can skip.

We took the shuttle bus from the pier to downtown, did some shopping and walked along the harbor to Spinnakers Pub for a great dinner (helps to reserve online). Then, walked back through the park along the water for great views and caught the shuttle from downtown again.

We arrived at 6pm on HAL. If you like walking, we just walked off the ship and started walking along the Inner Harbour path with our cameras. It was sunset and we got some great photos. We both enjoyed it a lot. We sailed the 1st week of September, so sunset was a little earlier. In June and July its after 9 pm and August, after 8 pm so you should be able to catch it. If you click on my Alaska Trip report in my signature, Victoria starts on page 5, post #88.

Well, I went to Page 5, and the first thing I read is that you have had a spinal fusion and are trying to put off your 2nd! Well, that got me very interested in what tours you did on your cruise. I have had 2 spinal fusions, one lumbar one and a 2 level neck fusion 3 months ago. I searched to see if you had done the helicopter/dog sledging, but it doesn't look like it.

I haven't read your review yet, just skimmed it, but I will return and read it in more detail. I love all the photos and all the information that you give.

Were there any of the tours that particularly stressed your back?

I am hoping to get the ok from my surgeon at the end of March to do the dog sledging in June.

Jasperdo is right only a short walk to the Inner Harbour where the Empress is located. Our Parliment Building (Provincial Goverment) is right around the corner from the Empress and a nice photo spot for tourists. the horse drawn rides are next door as well right on the street. The stop in Victoria is a requirement as it has to do with a long standing mariners act (Jones Act). Some cruise lines only visit the minimum to meet the requirement. Victoria does have several attractions for visitors.

Jasperdo is right only a short walk to the Inner Harbour where the Empress is located. Our Parliment Building (Provincial Goverment) is right around the corner from the Empress and a nice photo spot for tourists. the horse drawn rides are next door as well right on the street. The stop in Victoria is a requirement as it has to do with a long standing mariners act (Jones Act). Some cruise lines only visit the minimum to meet the requirement. Victoria does have several attractions for visitors.

Thank you Jasperado and Colfireman for this information.

Colfireman, it sounds like you live there in Victoria. What would your recommendation be for a 7.00-12.00midnight stop, bearing in mind that we have to eat at some point. (I guess we could do that early, before we get off the ship if there was lots to do :))

What would your recommendation be for a 7.00-12.00midnight stop, bearing in mind that we have to eat at some point. (I guess we could do that early, before we get off the ship if there was lots to do :))
I would recommend eating on the ship before it docks at Ogden Point. But I know from experience that everyone else will have this same idea, and all the dining venues on the ship will be busy.

As for what to do in a short time in Victoria, I would suggest you just go to the Inner Harbour and wander around. The Empress Hotel and Parliament Building are there. It's a very pleasant place to be. You can stroll up Government Street if you like. That's where all the shops and restaurants will be. There is a small Chinatown section at Government and Fisgard, but it might be too far to walk in your limited time in the city.

Jasperdo has nailed the highlights for an evening in Victoria. The three things that I would add would be a horse drawn carriage ride, a walk along the causeway in front of the Inner Harbour across from the Empress where there are a number of buskers that preform nightly and a self conducted pub crawl....there are a number of UK styled pubs in the downtown core that can be easily walked to.

I like the idea of strolling around the Inner Harbour and taking a horse drawn carriage ride. Can you pick one up in that area?

I've never actually taken the horse drawn carriage ride, but I have seen where they load. It's at the corner of Belleville and Menzies, which would be along the Inner Harbour, just to the right of the Parliament building as you're looking at it from the Harbour. The company is called Tally-Ho Carriage Tours, and they have a number of different tours you can take.

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

There are two horse drawn carriage operators, here is a link to the second. Both do pretty much the same thing and leave from about the same location. I am also providing a link to the buskers site and while the information is a bit out of date the first photo kind of tells the whole story....enjoy.

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/

As earlier posts have stated, the inner harbor and parliament buildings is very nice at night. An option is to take a taxi from Ogden point where the ship docks, to the downtown area. It is only a 5-10 minute ride. From there you can hit the Empress for a nice drink in the Bengal Lounge bar, or on Saturday evenings they serve a nice curry buffet if your into that cuisine. government street is just outside of the Empress and is our shopping district for tourists. The causeway as we call it is across the street from the Empress and is where the small boats dock and is also a nice place for a stroll. Since your only here for a short time anything farther may be a stretch. If your looking for a restaurant other than the ship, let me know what you are looking for and I can suggest some options. We have hundreds of restaurants with a wide range of cuisine.

How long would it take to walk from the ship to the Inner Harbour?

I have taken a look at the information about horse drawn carriages and the area in front of the Empress. That certainly looks to be the place to head for :D

I would estimate approx 15-25 minutes depending on how fast or slow you walk.

Colfireman= Colwood Firefighter (Colwood is a suburb just outside of Victoria)

aka Greg

From the Ogden Point cruise terminal the walk is about 15 to 20 mins in either direction. It is level, well marked and a pleasant walk. If you don't care to walk it, a cab fare will run $10 each way and there is a shuttle which costs $8 pp round trip.

• 2 weeks later...

There were quite a few horses and carriages lined up at the ship when I was there. Do you know if those were for cruise ship excursions or open for rental? I was thinking that a horse and carriage ride for a quick tour of the waterfront and historic area would be nice, a Pub lunch and then the bus transportation to the gardens would be a nice day. We are lucky in that we are in port from 8 AM - 6 PM this time.

There were quite a few horses and carriages lined up at the ship when I was there. Do you know if those were for cruise ship excursions or open for rental? I was thinking that a horse and carriage ride for a quick tour of the waterfront and historic area would be nice, a Pub lunch and then the bus transportation to the gardens would be a nice day. We are lucky in that we are in port from 8 AM - 6 PM this time.

Last time we were there, they were peppered throughout the city and open for rental. It wasn't until recently that I saw that they tied them in as an excursion. I wonder if booking it the day you're there in the city is cheaper? I suppose you could split the cost with however many people are in the carriage with you.

Archived