Sunshine announcement

Kcjarvis

I doubt they will bring 2 of them to NJ since it would give them too much capacity and the prices would drop.

Also doubt they will do a 2 week cruise since it is unlikely they'd be able to get the same price they can get for two one week cruises. The itinerary doesn't matter on holiday cruises since you have an audience who wants to cruise that week.

Speaking of prices, does anyone think that having Breakaway in NY will affect RCI's business, leading to lower prices on Explorer? I do not like NCL, but even I would consider going on Breakaway. I think that alone is reason why one of these new ships MUST be in NJ.

While I do doubt they would bring both ships to Bayonne, I disagree that it would be overcapacity. The regions of New England, Mid Atlantic, East North Central and Eastern Canada (with Ont and Quebec) represent a poplulation of over 140 Million. If Florida can support the number of ships it does, our region can certainly support the current ones plus a few more. I would be happy if RCI would replace Explorer and Summit with new ships - Quantum plus a newer Solstice class ship would be perfect!

I personal belief is that Quantom may do a sailing or 2 out of Miami or FLL. I think ultimatly Quantom will wind up north of FL or overseas and one of the older RCCL ships will come back over to FL. If RCCL builds another Oasis Class, I do belive that will land in FLL and the older Oasis will land in Port Canaveral as they have time to upgrade Terminal 10 and use it on Saturday's (Freedom - Sun, Monarch/Enchantment - Mon @ Fri) will be available

I think it is interesting how vehemently some folks are in arguing that the new ships must, or are very likely to, end up in their home, or at least favorite port. I can't make that argument in good conscience -- it would take a lot of dredging or huge [about 1000 feet] sea level rise to get a ship to my area which is about as far from the coast as you can get in the lower 48. The fact is, as I have heard [or at least read] Richard Fain say, the cruise industry is somewhat unique in that it can move its capital assets from place to place around the world to meet market demands. We can speculate, but, at the end of the day [for you cliche buffs out there], even RCI's current plans are likely only tentative and may change if the market changes, which can happen in an instant.

I've read through each and every post on this LONG thread. It's fun to read how everyone wants a new ship -even if they hate the name - in their closest port!

For my 2-cents, I would love to see the Pacific Northwest as an option. Especially if these ships are going to be designed with larger, covered Solariums and lots of glass. (sunshine?)

We ended up on this "unplanned" itinerary a few years ago on Mariner because of the swine flu scare. Even though we had great weather, it was definitely not a "lay by the pool" kind of cruise. We really didn't have high hopes for the cruise, but in the end, it turned out to be one of our favorites. It was a nice change from the tired Caribbean ports.

And no - California is not a driving distance port for me :rolleyes:.

Ann

. . .

For my 2-cents, I would love to see the Pacific Northwest as an option. Especially if these ships are going to be designed with larger, covered Solariums and lots of glass. (sunshine?)

. . .

I concur. We have cruised once from Seattle and once to Vancouver. Really like that area.

I'm guessing QUANTUM will almost certainly go to NY/Bayonne. Whether it will be year round or seasonal initially is anyones guess. No way Royal Caribbean is going to let NCL eat up all that market share with NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY. I expect at least QUANTUM or ANTHEM will sail out of Florida on a seasonal basis, and some older tonnage moved to more exotic markets.

Europe cruising is not doing so well right now, so in the short term I would imagine Royal Caribbean shrinking capacity, but by the time ANTHEM comes out who knows? Perhaps she will end up sailing in Europe year round. Anyway they still have time to make those decisions.

Australia is a hot market and I'm amazed with all the lines sending ships (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Holland America) plus P&O Australia that the market still seems underserved. Keep in mind the entire population of Australia is less than California so a large percentage must really love cruising. Asia (China/Japan) is the other hot market but it's still in its infancy and a lot of educating by the cruise lines still needs to be done. Brazil and South America is another hot, emerging year round market. I personally don't see either Quantum Class ship going to Asia, Australia, or South America ... but they could possibly make room for some additional older tonnage to be sent East and South.

Now wouldn't everyone be shocked if one of the Quantum Class ships were to take over the 3-4 day market out of Miami for MAJESTY OF THE SEAS? I swear I would get a good chuckle out of that one, but it's not going to happen. Back in 1990 both Carnival and Royal Caribbean placed their newest tonnage in the Miami short cruise market. FANTASY and NORDIC EMPRESS. It was unheard of at the time, and hasn't been repeated since.

Anyway it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. The names were the first steps. Next we should see information on cabin types and itineraries so bookings can open up and Royal Caribbean can start making interest on all those deposits!

Ernie

I have a feeling Quantum will be headed to Bayonne to compete with Breakaway. I can see Anthem however replacing Independence in Southampton so she can move to warmer climates.

Makes sense given the likelihood that the Quantum class seem to be designed for cooler climates - the run from Southampton down to the Mediterranean or up to Norway or the Baltic can certainly be classed as a cooler climate!

Exactly what I was thinking!

This was posted on the Quantum FB page:

"Through a wide variety of different sources the page administrator (not affiliated with Royal Caribbean) can confirm that Quantum Of The Seas will sail from Bayonne, New Jersey"

So Bayonne it is!!

"Through a wide variety of different sources the page administrator (not affiliated with Royal Caribbean) can confirm that Quantum Of The Seas will sail from Bayonne, New Jersey"

So Bayonne it is!!

The Bermuda Gazette (I believe that was the name of the paper who wrote the article) already confirmed they are doing pier work to fit the Breakaway AND Sunshine class (now named Quantum class) in the current port. They wouldn't invest tax dollars into a project that they would not be gaining any future profit from. So I'm not sure what all the debate is about. I would only question if they intend to sail both the Quantum and Ex out of NJ. I could also see them moving Ex, after drydock, to Black Falcon in Boston to do 7 night Bermuda cruises to compete with NCL. NCL has ships in NY and Boston at the moment.

The Bermuda Gazette (I believe that was the name of the paper who wrote the article) already confirmed they are doing pier work to fit the Breakaway AND Sunshine class (now named Quantum class) in the current port. They wouldn't invest tax dollars into a project that they would not be gaining any future profit from. So I'm not sure what all the debate is about. I would only question if they intend to sail both the Quantum and Ex out of NJ. I could also see them moving Ex, after drydock, to Black Falcon in Boston to do 7 night Bermuda cruises to compete with NCL. NCL has ships in NY and Boston at the moment.

Here is the article (http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20121205/NEWS04/712059963) mentioning the Sunshine class coming to Bermuda in 2014. That makes it look like at least one of the new ships (probably Quantum) would have to leave from a port that includes Bermuda in it's itinerary. This makes it appear that most likely Bayonne could be the place (wishful thinking)! I don't know if RCCL would bring the ship to Baltimore since they just brought Grandeur there, and I have no idea what size ships the port in Boston can handle.

We were on Allure last week and Captain Johnny said they will probably open up bookings sometime in May.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. This might come in handy for planning a 10 year wedding anniversary.;)

I would hope some sort of water slide ... am afraid there won't be b/c Royal doesn 't like to "follow", but those slides on Breakaway and DCL look amazing!

I haven't been on the NCL ones yet, but the one on the Disney ships is awesome. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Rode it several times in off-peak hours (the kids hit it HARD during the heat of the day) and had a blast.

I'm guessing QUANTUM will almost certainly go to NY/Bayonne. Whether it will be year round or seasonal initially is anyones guess. No way Royal Caribbean is going to let NCL eat up all that market share with NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY. I expect at least QUANTUM or ANTHEM will sail out of Florida on a seasonal basis, and some older tonnage moved to more exotic markets.

Europe cruising is not doing so well right now, so in the short term I would imagine Royal Caribbean shrinking capacity, but by the time ANTHEM comes out who knows? Perhaps she will end up sailing in Europe year round. Anyway they still have time to make those decisions.

Australia is a hot market and I'm amazed with all the lines sending ships (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Holland America) plus P&O Australia that the market still seems underserved. Keep in mind the entire population of Australia is less than California so a large percentage must really love cruising. Asia (China/Japan) is the other hot market but it's still in its infancy and a lot of educating by the cruise lines still needs to be done. Brazil and South America is another hot, emerging year round market. I personally don't see either Quantum Class ship going to Asia, Australia, or South America ... but they could possibly make room for some additional older tonnage to be sent East and South.

Now wouldn't everyone be shocked if one of the Quantum Class ships were to take over the 3-4 day market out of Miami for MAJESTY OF THE SEAS? I swear I would get a good chuckle out of that one, but it's not going to happen. Back in 1990 both Carnival and Royal Caribbean placed their newest tonnage in the Miami short cruise market. FANTASY and NORDIC EMPRESS. It was unheard of at the time, and hasn't been repeated since.

Anyway it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. The names were the first steps. Next we should see information on cabin types and itineraries so bookings can open up and Royal Caribbean can start making interest on all those deposits!

Ernie

Re. the new ships to short itineraries, it happened much more recently with the Disney Dream (which wasn't surprising since they did the same with the Wonder).

Still, I agree that it would be an extremely unlikely move for one of the bigger lines.

Just got off a conference call with Adam Goldstein and the RCCL Execs. Interestingly enough, the next RCCL TA Advisory Board Meeting is in New York on April 16th...my guess is that this date will also serve as the Quantum reveal date, and due to it's location in NYC rather than MIA, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the Quantum to be based in Bayonne. Stay tuned....

Re. the new ships to short itineraries, it happened much more recently with the Disney Dream (which wasn't surprising since they did the same with the Wonder).

Still, I agree that it would be an extremely unlikely move for one of the bigger lines.

I think Disney offers the shorter itineraries, for people who want to sail their line but cannot afford their premium for 7 days, like me :D. But I really would not see one of RCCL's new ships doing shorter itineraries, my guess is that one of them will be set to compete again Breakaway in NY. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

So Bayonne it is!!

i saw this post too! this is not an official rccl facebook page is it?

i saw this post too! this is not an official rccl facebook page is it?

. . . the page administrator (not affiliated with Royal Caribbean) . . .

Ultimately this may turn out to be correct, there are logical reasons for it to be so. But without knowing who "the wide variety of different sources" actually are, and unless one of them is named Goldstein or Fain, I don't think it adds a thing to our current information.

. . . the page administrator (not affiliated with Royal Caribbean) . . .

Ultimately this may turn out to be correct, there are logical reasons for it to be so. But without knowing who "the wide variety of different sources" actually are, and unless one of them is named Goldstein or Fain, I don't think it adds a thing to our current information.

thank you for the clarification!

Absolutely and I stand corrected. I should have remembered this since I've sailed on DISNEY DREAM twice and on the WONDER. Excellent experiences BTW.

I just recall all the hype surrounding the FANTASY and NORDIC EMPRESS back in 1990. It was pretty much unheard of putting a brand new ship in the short cruise market. Still is except for Disney of course.

Ernie

So many CCers are always saying they miss the old days of cruising. So maybe, just maybe... there will be no special innovations on the ships, just very plain ships, lik ein the good olden days. :D

I was wrong about CELEBRITY REFLECTION having the largest dimensions so far. It appears the Disney ships are currently the largest by dimension to make the passage down the River Ems. I don't know the dimensions of Breakaway Plus.

Here are the top three:

DISNEY FANTASY

Length: 1115 ft Beam: 137 ft

NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY

Length: 1062 ft Beam: 130 ft

CELEBRITY REFLECTION

Length: 1047 ft Beam: 123 ft

I guess we can count on QUANTUM being at least the size of DISNEY FANTASY, perhaps even slightly longer and wider but not sure about that.

Ernie

IIRC, the DCL ship caused a bigger part of Europe to be without power for a while, as it hit some electricity cables when passing on the Ems.

Archived