Houston - Which Airport?

marvholly

Since the search function is currently uaavailable: I am considering a family cruise for this x-mas on the NCL Sea. Houston has 2 airports; IAH and HOU. Which is better for the port? What are transportation options/costs from either? We are a group of at least 6 in at least 3 cabins.

Holly

M/S Boheme 11/69

Rhapsody 2/77?

Azure Sea 3/89

Panama Canal 11/90

Mexican Riviera 3/98

Carnival Triumph 12/99

Carnival Spirit 12/01

NCL Dream 11/17/02

Celebrity Mercury 6/1/03

carnival Victory 3/28/04

This link is cruise info for port of Houston.

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo/cruiseterminal.html

Hobby (hou) is closer according to the Ports website. I am cruising out of Galveston this Sept. and the best non-stop air was from Southwest Airlines and they fly into Hobby. All the other carriers go into Bush National or connect into Hobby.

Countdown to sailing away on the Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

• 2 weeks later...

American Eagle, Delta and Air Tran also fly in to Houston Hobby. Particularly Air Tran is comparable to SWA prices. On another thread I read where someone was renting a car from Enterprise at George Bush Intercontinental Aiport, returning it at Galveston and then the car rental company took them to the port. They said if you told the car rental company you were here for a cruise they would waive the one way drop fee? Not positive about this, but for a larger group this would be worth looking in to.

Good luck!

I think you''ll have to get in touch with Enterprise directly. Deals are constantly changing, and you need to be sure that this one will still be in effect when you arrive in Houston.

But in case it wasn't explained clearly enough, Hobby (HOU) is closer to the cruise terminal, but travel time from both airports is not trivial. Bush (IAH) is about 45 miles away and takes just over an hour to travel from; Hobby is about 18 miles away, but it takes 30-45 minutes to get there. (The most direct route from Hobby, the one that you will see on Yahoo!, has you take all city streets. The faster route has you travel north first and later south, to stay on highways as mch as possible.)

If you do decide to go, get your directions from the CRUISE company, or your travel agent in advance. The NCL pier has only just started up again, and many people don't know how to get there. (If you rent with one of the major car rental companies, it shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't take a chance with Enterprise.)

We cruised out of Houston last spring....Although I purchased my own air I bought the land transfer from NCL...and at the time, they only transported from HOBBY...you may wnat to check that out! I did alot of leg work in trying to get from AIRPORT/PORT, and Enterprise had not waved the drop off fee, there for it turned out that I was not by booking my own rental! I really loved the SEA. She is a wonderful size and the staff was most accomodating!

Does anyone know which airport is easier to get around in? I'm thinking of booking a flight home at about 1:00 p.m, and not sure if that gives us enough time to pick up a car at the pier, drive to the airport, drop off a car, go through security, etc...

Also, is there an Enterprise location at both Hobby and Bush?

IAH is approx 1 hr (depending on day of week and time of day). For a 1:00 flight you'd need to be there by noon and therefore need to leave the terminal around 10:45 which is workable. If you're concerned about the amount of time you'll need, when they call the first luggage tag color go ahead and get off the ship. They don't check tags as you are getting off so go ahead and leave if you feel crunched for time.

Hope this helps!

On our last cruise, they let people with the earliest flights leave the ship first.

Trixee - you might want to ask the cruise line how early a flight they recommend you to take. The day you get back should not be a big traffic day, but there's lots of opportunities for slow-ups on 60 miles of freeway, especially in a larger city.

We were on the Sea May 8, 2004. We flew into Hobby (HOU) and took a cab. Fifty bucks, no hassle with driving, renting etc. I didn't see any place where you could rent or drop a car at the port. The port is located in a less that scenic industrial area.

For the return, NCL offered a transfer from the port to HOU. Twenty bucks per person so forty for the two of us. Again no hassle and drops you right at the terminal.

If I were going again I would do the same.

• 1 month later...

My wife is cruising Carnival out of Galveston with one of her girl friends and they wanted transfers to the cruiseport. Carnival's transfers come out of IAH, not HOU. So we will be investigating air fares/car rentals for IAH and Hou for comparisons.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone used Galveston Limo Service ?? We're a party of 6, so with all our luggage (especially the extras on way home ! ) we're going to need more than a taxi. They quote $60.00 per person return...sounds okay ?

$360????? Couldn't you rent a mini-van for a lot less?

We're taking a 12-day cruise....if we rent a mini-van, would either have to pay storage while we're cruising or a drop-off fee and then arrange for a second one to be available for the return trip.

This way, we get picked-up at airport...driven to our hotel..and on the return, we're met at the cruise terminal and delivered to the airport. And none of us has to be able to read a map !!

Just thought it sounded fairly reasonable....lee

Archived