leaving our kids for the first time....

icandothis

Help! I need tips/suggestions on how to make sure things go as smoothly as possible! My parents will be watching our 2.5 yr old and 7 yr old for 8 days. My biggest question is what is the best way to keep in touch with them? I know it is expensive, I need to at least hear "things are fine" every few days. I will be letting school, dr and dentist know we will be gone. Anything else I need to think about doing? We live 1/2 block away from my parents and they take care of the kids often, so I know they will be okay. This is the longest both parents have been away from them. Thanks!

You might want to consider a medical power of attorney for your parents in case one of the kids gets hurt or sick and they need emergency medical attention.

We're in the same boat with leaving the kids for a week and not being able to stay in close contact.

Compare which will be cheaper...

* calling from your cabin on ship to shore

* having your parents call ship to shore at designated times

* using the internet on board to check e-mails

(these 3 fees should be explained in the FAQs section of the cruise line's web site)

+ calling or texting from the ship using your mobile phone

+ calling or texting from port using using your mobile phone

+ checking emails via your mobile phone while in port at a wifi hot spot

(these 3 may require calls to to your mobile carrier's technical assistance representative & CellularAtSea to know the charges)

look at it as your parents and kids are going to have a fabulous bonding time.

the parents raised their kids-- and did a good job at it.

but grand children are different for the kids-- they will have a good time.

enjoy your trip.

(one day your kids will be grown and gone and will not care if you are ok)

I agree....don't worry so much! Your parents raised you...and they will be doubly as careful of the grandkids as they were with you....that's just the way it is!

E-mail on the ship is probably the cheapest option....or, as another said, your phone ashore for a short period won't break the bank.

Just know that it's HEALTHY for kids and parents to be separated....it gives them the knowledge that you WILL be back, and that they are independant creatures! They will have great memories of the time spent with the grandparents! So...stop worrying and plan to enjoy your "adult" time....every parent needs to NOT be a parent for short periods and reconnect with their partner as friends and lovers!!

Hubby and I took our first cruise last March and left our then 12 year old son with his grandparents (during spring break so no issues with school etc.). As far as communicating, assuming your parents use cell phones and texting, that's how we communicated with our son once a day (usually in the evening before going to eat), just to let them know we were okay and make sure no problems on their end, and chit chat a little bit. Call your carrier (AT&T, etc.) and they can help you choose the lease expensive way to text or call. Our bill only increased by $11.00 for the texting we did while cruising.

I agree that the medical power of attorney is a very good idea. We had one for the grandparents and/or my sister. Just gives the grandparents something in-hand to have full authority to get any possible medical treatment the children might need before you could return. Be sure to leave originals or copies of your insurance cards, pharmacy cards, etc. they might need.

We also made copies of our passports, drivers license, all cruise information and hotel reservation info just in the event of an emergency and we needed to be contacted.

Best advice??? Just relax and have a great time on your trip. You know your kids are going to be well taken care of and will likely have a blast being spoiled for an entire week !!! :)

yikes. i dont know if thats a good idea to call.

you are in the middle of the ocean and get a call..nothing you can do about it and the only thing that call will do is set a panic happening.

please dont have them call you

We went on our 1st cruise & only so far when the kids were 7 & 9. We left them with DH's parents. They also spent time with his sis & her girls. We talked to the parents before we left and decided that we would not call & they would only call if it was necessary for us to fly back from the next port.

Needless to say that we did not call or get a call the whole time. Kids had a blast. They got to do all sorts of things & since we did not live near any of these family members it was great fun to do things with them.

I honestly do not know who had more fun of the whole lot of us. After the 1st day I was able to put it in God's hands & the grandparents & have fun with just DH & I.

The kids are 11 & 13 now and we are finally planning a 2nd cruise but this time we are taking the kids. And my parents, my brother, his gf & her daughter. It will be crazy but it will be fun. He daugther is 12 or 13 so hopefully the kids all get along.

Skype is probably the best cost effective option for voice to voice.

Then all you're paying for is the internet access on the ship whilst you're using it, which shouldn't break the bank.

Just ensure they have the computer on with skype on at home at agreed times; or use the "skype to phone" option, which is still very cheap.

Skype is usually blocked on cruise ship's internet because it is a bandwidth hog. Ships use a satellite internet connection and programs that hog bandwidth are almost always blocked.

My advice, purchase an internet package on the ship and email each other once or twice a day if you really need to.

Help! I need tips/suggestions on how to make sure things go as smoothly as possible! My parents will be watching our 2.5 yr old and 7 yr old for 8 days. My biggest question is what is the best way to keep in touch with them? I know it is expensive, I need to at least hear "things are fine" every few days. I will be letting school, dr and dentist know we will be gone. Anything else I need to think about doing? We live 1/2 block away from my parents and they take care of the kids often, so I know they will be okay. This is the longest both parents have been away from them. Thanks!
For more suggestions/advice from other parents with children the ages of yours, you may wish to post this over on the Family cruise board.

Here is a link to it:

-Family Cruises

My girlfriend and I went on a 7 day last summer and I used the free wifi at the village bar in Grand Turk (First port) and the wifi calling app through t-mobile to let her call and check in on her son and I called my daughters. The rest of the cruise we forgot we were parents and it was so relaxing.

Of course we got the "why didn't you take us?" questions when we called and before we left. Well, because it's our vacation, away from being parents as much as away from work, home, and everything else and we want to actually relax and have fun. ;)

I strongly recommend that you fill out a temporary guardianship form and have it notarized. You can find an example at http://singleparents.about.com/od/legalissues/ht/temporary_guard.htm

This will allow the grandparents to handle not only a medical emergency, but anything else that might come up.

Mine had to use it last year - for the child who was less than a week shy of her 18th b-day! Better safe than sorry!

I'm in the same boat (not literally haha). Leaving the kids (12, 10 & 8) with my MIL in April. I know they will all be fine but it sure makes me feel guilty going without them. I assumed we would just use email to communicate, though I will sure miss their voices!

My advise, which worked for my girlfriend and I but certainly not for everyone. Check in once, maybe twice during the cruise but keep it short. The rest of the time forget you're parents and enjoy the cruise for what it is, time for you away from the kids with no responsibility. Leave everything on the pier, stress of work, home, bills, and kids. For most of your cruise leave the rest of life at the pier, it will be there when you get back so no sense in wasting this opportunity by feeling guilty or worry about them, or work, or anything else. For 8 days you are free.

Forgetting about my life outside of that ship for 7 days was the most relaxing experience I ever had, I can't even begin to describe the bliss. No work, no bills, no house, no kids = no stress. Waiting for June to do it again is nothing short of torture.

I know the first time is the hardest- we have been to a few out of state Nascar Races and Shows- I always tried to call around supper time to find out how school and such went. My mom always said they would have been better if I didn't call. (But had to hear them talk). Now they will be 18 and 9 and they are going on our first cruise with us. Keep in mind the time change and most important ENJOY your cruise!!

I'm in the same boat (not literally haha). Leaving the kids (12, 10 & 8) with my MIL in April. I know they will all be fine but it sure makes me feel guilty going without them. I assumed we would just use email to communicate, though I will sure miss their voices!

Is your MIL a MILF? Or should that be MILILF?

I strongly recommend that you fill out a temporary guardianship form and have it notarized. You can find an example at http://singleparents.about.com/od/legalissues/ht/temporary_guard.htm

This will allow the grandparents to handle not only a medical emergency, but anything else that might come up.

Mine had to use it last year - for the child who was less than a week shy of her 18th b-day! Better safe than sorry!

Check with the kids Dr office. They often have a form you can use. Just make sure the grands have a copy & you can leave one with Dr. The copies of insurance/RX etc cards is good too with of course the names of the Dr, pharmacy you use & their phone numbers.

Compare which will be cheaper...

* calling from your cabin on ship to shore

* having your parents call ship to shore at designated times

* using the internet on board to check e-mails

(these 3 fees should be explained in the FAQs section of the cruise line's web site)

+ calling or texting from the ship using your mobile phone

+ calling or texting from port using using your mobile phone

+ checking emails via your mobile phone while in port at a wifi hot spot

(these 3 may require calls to to your mobile carrier's technical assistance representative & CellularAtSea to know the charges)

I check in at home with the internet on board. Although my kids are grown & married, I still sent e-mails when I'm away from home.

Thank you everyone! I only worry how our 2.5 yr old will do because how do you explain that you will be gone and back in 8 days to someone her age. I know she will be just fine and maybe even better not hearing our voices. I am very much looking forward to sometime with just my husband.

My kids are older, but I still worry when gone for an extended period of time, about them and about our pets. We had Verizon as a cell carrier at the time of our first cruise, and I contacted them and told them where I was going and made sure I could make and receive calls from those places. They sent me very complete and specific info about rates, etc., and I honestly do not remember our cell bill being very much higher for the month that we cruised. I called from St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands, which helps keep rates low!), and sent text messages from there and also from St. Maarten. I did not turn my phone on while on the ship at all.

The very cheapest way of staying in touch is probably to go to a place in port with free wifi and use that on your smart phone, iPad, or whatever, to send emails or chat, I would think.

Have fun on your cruise, and know that any postcards you send your kids will likely end up arriving long after you are home. lol

Hi! My dh and I are also taking our first "big" vacation away from our kids in May on a cruise to Bermuda. They are 5 and 9;) we have no family local so my inlaws and parents are splitting coming in from out of town to stay with our girls as they will still be in school here.

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary!! It's 12 for us, but we've been "meaning" to go for the last several years lol but ended up at Disney world three times ha ha

This thread has been very helpful for me as we were just discussing this same thing last night.

Archived