If You are Flying From Logan for Your Cruise........

sail7seas

IIRC didn't you say that you prefer snow to rain a couple of months ago? I remember it was someone from Ontario so I hope I'm not mistaken.

Good memory...yes, I think I did say that! But it was before my mother died in Ottawa on Dec 21 and we made 5 600 km drives in 4 weeks over Christmas, New Years and all in very bad weather. One took over 8 hours.

So I am over it all this year. I commute 170 km each day and I think I will take Friday off. No need to tempt fate any more than I already do on a daily basis. I am just bone tired from it all.

The 5:00 AM news this morning said Environment Canada has issued a special weather advisory for all of Southern Ontario. This storm will dump more snow in a 24 hour period than we have seen in the last 5 years. Hopefully everyone just slows down on the roads.

Yuk - keep safe everyone. I've been through some storms like that. The winter of '67 (I sound like some old-timer, don't I ?) Lansing, Michigan had a storm - 24 inches in 24 hours with big drifts. Shut the city down for about 24 hours. Somewhere I have a photo of my Dad's VW beetle - a VW shaped mound of snow with an antenna sticking out of it. :eek:

Down here in El Paso 2 or 3 inches of snow shuts everything down. People have no idea of how to drive in it. They even shut down some of the overpasses to cut down on the number of accidents. We had a few inches of snow in January and the police reported something like 120 fender benders.

Good memory...yes, I think I did say that! But it was before my mother died in Ottawa on Dec 21 and we made 5 600 km drives in 4 weeks over Christmas, New Years and all in very bad weather. One took over 8 hours.

So I am over it all this year. I commute 170 km each day and I think I will take Friday off. No need to tempt fate any more than I already do on a daily basis. I am just bone tired from it all.

The 5:00 AM news this morning said Environment Canada has issued a special weather advisory for all of Southern Ontario. This storm will dump more snow in a 24 hour period than we have seen in the last 5 years. Hopefully everyone just slows down on the roads.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I am very close to my mom so I know it's going to hurt when that day comes for me.

I remember your comment because for me I hate snow and winter. I'd take a rainy day any day. We've had a fair amount of snow this year and it's tiresome. Good luck!

I remember your comment because for me I hate snow and winter. I'd take a rainy day any day. We've had a fair amount of snow this year and it's tiresome. Good luck!

Thanks for your kind words about mum. There is no way to sugar coat loosing a parent it is pure H-E- double hockey sticks. The time of year, I am told, made it worse.

As for my comment...it sounds pretty dumb to me too! :o I don't remember the context so I can only imagine I had just driven in near-hurricane force winds in rain coming down so hard the windscreen wipers couldn't clear it fast enough to see. I have had plenty of those drives from Toronto trying to get home as we live in Ontario's hurricane alley. That is a scary drive, especially with the splash off the truck wheels so a drive in lightly falling snow does seem easier in compairson. But not major dumps of the stuff like we are due today and Friday.

All in all, considering the broad audience of these posts, it was a dumb comment!

It looks like we may get 12"-16".

Thats what I heard on the news this morning . Hopefully the weatherman will be wrong again this time :)

Off to the store to fight for the last drop of milk and the last crumb of bread. :)

Yikes, you folks up there on the east coast are facing a double whammy this year? Hope the best for you. The worst I have to face Friday morning is the boring drive across Alligator Alley:D

But the winters are why we moved down here to Florida and it really paid off this year!

Drive carefully.

Driving will be impossible for us once the storm gets going.

From all they are warning us, there truly is nothing funny about this storm.

Don't guess so. Today is the anniversary of the Blizzard of '78, when we had 27" of snow where I am. The State was closed down for a week.

Early preditions for this storm are for up to 20" in my area. Fortunately, I am back from my cruise, went shopping today, and have enough bread, milk, eggs, meat, and chocolate to last for the duration.

*LOL*

You sound just like my mom. Although lucky for her she is in Florida right now.

It think it was the storm KK posted about . By noon on the day the storm was to start, the milk, bread and egg aisle were TOTALLY bare. NOTHING!!!!!

*LOL*

It think it was the storm KK posted about . By noon on the day the storm was to start, the milk, bread and egg aisle were TOTALLY bare. NOTHING!!!!!

Cause making french toast during a snow storm is the key to survival:D:D

*LOL*

The bread, milk, egg aisle ALWAYS go totally bare before these major storms. If people waited until now to buy supplies, unless the store restocked, they are going to be out of luck.

The bread, milk, egg aisle ALWAYS go totally bare before these major storms. If people waited until now to buy supplies, unless the store restocked, they are going to be out of luck.

No Sail this was EVERY drop of milk. Even the soy, almond, lactose free stuff.

And in the bread ailse , every crumb , even the 12 grain , honey wheat , high fiber, glutton free.

I never saw the cases THAT empty.

Cause making french toast during a snow storm is the key to survival:D:D

*LOL* Ahhhhhhhhh that must be it :)

I'll be off tomorrow , but of course I have to go in Saturday :(

I'll just make a big pot of soup . and I always get a bunch of snack foods to keep the tribe happy.

Why is it I can be home all day on a perfectly nice day and never even think about having a snack or raiding the fridge or cabinets

But if we are cooped up in the house ina snow storm we go through a ton of junk food *LOL*

I just made a ton of vegetable soup.

Don't forget you have to have food that doesn't require refrigeration or cooking in case you lose power.

I'm hoping we won't need to use the new generator we purchased after Sandy.

The NYC airports already have delays because of the storm in Chicago.

It's times like this that make me want to move to FLorida, but then I'd have to endure the terrible summers and hurricanes.

Thanks for your kind words about mum. There is no way to sugar coat loosing a parent it is pure H-E- double hockey sticks. The time of year, I am told, made it worse.

As for my comment...it sounds pretty dumb to me too! :o I don't remember the context so I can only imagine I had just driven in near-hurricane force winds in rain coming down so hard the windscreen wipers couldn't clear it fast enough to see. I have had plenty of those drives from Toronto trying to get home as we live in Ontario's hurricane alley. That is a scary drive, especially with the splash off the truck wheels so a drive in lightly falling snow does seem easier in compairson. But not major dumps of the stuff like we are due today and Friday.

All in all, considering the broad audience of these posts, it was a dumb comment!

No, it was fine. I just couldn't understand it. Rain sucks but snow is brutal IMO.

*LOL* Ahhhhhhhhh that must be it :)

I'll be off tomorrow , but of course I have to go in Saturday :(

I'll just make a big pot of soup . and I always get a bunch of snack foods to keep the tribe happy.

Why is it I can be home all day on a perfectly nice day and never even think about having a snack or raiding the fridge or cabinets

But if we are cooped up in the house ina snow storm we go through a ton of junk food *LOL*

There is something about bad weather that makes a person want to eat. Maybe it's to stay warm.

Wishing all my family...in the Boston area..and all CC members in the path of the storm...safety and warmth....hope everyone gets to the store for their milk, bread and junk food!!

My 80+ plus year old aunt pooh poohed the storm when I called last night..but her daughter assured me she had been to the store and stocked up!!

I can remember 1967...the year my son was born and we lived up there....walking to my aunts...only one car in those days with snow that seemed 6 feet high:eek:

Stay safe everyone!!

Don't forget you have to have food that doesn't require refrigeration or cooking in case you lose power.

Refrigeration is easy---just clear a spot and set the stuff outside.

Cooking is a bit trickier. If you have a gas stove, or even a gas grill, that works. Now, standing outside over the grill isn't much fun, but it does work.

Refrigeration is easy---just clear a spot and set the stuff outside.

Cooking is a bit trickier. If you have a gas stove, or even a gas grill, that works. Now, standing outside over the grill isn't much fun, but it does work.

Funny, we just talked about grilling outside. First, you have to clear the snow off the grill and then you're good to go in a down jacket, gloves and a hat.

There is something about bad weather that makes a person want to eat. Maybe it's to stay warm.

Got my groceries this morning in -23 weather plus who knows what wind chill, and to use a time honoured Maritime expression--"I like ta froze"!

I always feel terrible for people when I hear this. It drives me crazy when posters come on from Florida or California to say it's nice there. Really! Thanks so much for that. You have my complete sympathy and I hope you will do better then they think.

Gosh I would never rub it in about our weather. We are in for a real storm Friday night and Saturday morning. They are predicting up to 1/2" inch of rain and temps dipping into the low 50's. I do remember the days when I lived in Montreal and I do sympathize .... honest I do.

I just got home from the market. It's silly as I really didn't need much but thought I needed to do 'something' to be sure we're ready for the blizzard. :) DH is in charge of a few bottles of wine.

Ruth is right about storing food outside. I have done that before and without outside temps of 25 it works fine. I also made sure our propane tanks for gas grill are full. Hope we won't need to use them. But thanks for the reminder to move the grill to an easily accessible spot.

I HOPE WE KEEP OUR POWER........

We have new roof on the house. Roof on garage was reinforced two winters ago when we had feet of snow piled on it. Spoke with our snow plow guy and he is set to go. As long as DH comes home with some nice wine...... we'll be fine.

Food :)

Gas for Grill :)

Wood for fire :)

Generator :)

Wine :)

Snow plow guy ready:)

Only question: How do we walk the dog ? She doesn't like rain or snow?

How many inches are they predicting for your area, Carol?

Latest forecast for us is now 16 - 24"

That is A LOT of snow

Archived