Stay off the Triumph

zeddy777

Well, they won't. Toilets are working, water restored. So a few showers were missed, not earth shattering.

I have to agree with you. I think happening on the last day of the cruise, they were very lucky. Especially when you consider what Carnival is doing for them. This cruise is free and anything on your sign and sail card is free, future cruise credit for the amount spent for this cruise, and any charges for air travel. I'm sorry this happened to them, but that's life things sometime happen. Carnival is acting responsible as far as I can see.

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

zeddy777, how right you were stating it "This ship should be docked now"...

As far as I know the Destiny was the only "Destiny class" ship in the fleet. Splendor and Concordia were the only two of their class as well. Granted all of them are just variations on the Conquest class. All built in Ficantieri yards... Maybe its the shipyard that should be under more scrutiny for the ships is building, and not as much Carnival who is the customer. Maybe Fincantieri is using sub-standard materials and passing them off as genuine. Either way it seems the Fantasy and Spirit class are the only ones that (mostly) escape disaster.

I think if these ships systems are running longer and harder than airplanes- maybe the dry-dock schedule needs increased.

Well, they won't. Toilets are working, water restored. So a few showers were missed, not earth shattering.

No they are not. Only half of them are. Everyone had to sleep elsewhere from their cabins. They are only now being allowed to return after a day and a half.

Pretty cheery, eh?

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

Wow, this warning was so right on the money!!! That ship really should have been docked.

I am just glad it happened on the last day. And I hope the impact to the next batch of cruisers is not too severe.

What an awful way to spend a vacation.

As far as I know the Destiny was the only "Destiny class" ship in the fleet. Splendor and Concordia were the only two of their class as well. Granted all of them are just variations on the Conquest class. All built in Ficantieri yards... Maybe its the shipyard that should be under more scrutiny for the ships is building, and not as much Carnival who is the customer. Maybe Fincantieri is using sub-standard materials and passing them off as genuine. Either way it seems the Fantasy and Spirit class are the only ones that (mostly) escape disaster.

I think if these ships systems are running longer and harder than airplanes- maybe the dry-dock schedule needs increased.

How can you say that? I believe the Captain was to blame for the Concordia accident, not the ship builder. This ship has weathered a lot of storms from the time it was built to now to blame the ship yard, that's just crazy. I was on the Triumph and loved it. I would cruise again on her in a heartbeat. If I'm not mistaken the Triumph was dry-docked prior to moving to Galveston. Accidents just happen for no reason at all.

I think Carnival is handling this situation very well.

Wow, this warning was so right on the money!!! That ship really should have been docked.

I am just glad it happened on the last day. And I hope the impact to the next batch of cruisers is not too severe.

What an awful way to spend a vacation.

If they thought my review was severe, wait till Thursday when they start posting "their" reviews. Mines gonna look like Dr. Suess.

exactly. I just got off the Destiny, was assured it would be fine even though the cruise before us didn't make their ports due to propulsion problems. We missed our ports and were very disappointed. Seems like they don't really keep up iwth the mechanical issues on Carnival ships.

I know I am not crazy but it does seem like there are allot of major issues with their ships. Didn't know about the Destiny having the problem too. Seems like Carnival is not fixing or checking their ships. I can understand problems with one but it is beginning to be a continous cycle.

How can you say that? I believe the Captain was to blame for the Concordia accident, not the ship builder. This ship has weathered a lot of storms from the time it was built to now to blame the ship yard, that's just crazy. I was on the Triumph and loved it. I would cruise again on her in a heartbeat. If I'm not mistaken the Triumph was dry-docked prior to moving to Galveston. Accidents just happen for no reason at all.

I think Carnival is handling this situation very well.

Ummmm.... I wasn't insulting Carnival's handling of the situation with Triumph. And someone else mentioned Concordia, i was just classifying the ships as all variants of the Conquest series of ships. And speculating that in the fire incidents such as Spendor and Triumph that MAYBE something is amiss in the manufacturing of these ships engines. Typically everyone is quick to blame carnival for these things- I was simply positing that maybe its NOT Carnival's fault and that the issue goes deeper? One could start looking at the shipyard. The Titanic may have sunk after an impact with an iceberg, but its been proven that Harland and Wolfe used sub-standard steel rivets that became brittle in the frigid atlantic waters which allowed the berg to sheer the rivets right off which also made for easier penetration of water into the ship. I'm usually a cheerleader for Carnival. My bottom line was simply that the drydock schedule for these over-worked ships needs increased to prevent future problems. THATS how I can say this!

I have to agree with you. I think happening on the last day of the cruise, they were very lucky. Especially when you consider what Carnival is doing for them.

I'd re-word that to say when you consider what Carnival is doing TO them.

Sleeping in deck chairs and crapping in buckets and bags is not something to cheer about. This is an unadulterated mess and Carnival should be ashamed of themselves. There were complaints well before this cruise about propulsion issues (i.e. this very thread) and Carnival rolled the dice on people's vacation. Now we should pat them on the back for coughing up a few pennies after leaving people in the lurch like that? That's like having a drunk driver run into your car then acting all nice and apologizing and then offering to fix it for you. Thanks pal but maybe you shouldn't be on the road. What do ya think?

Sleeping in deck chairs and crapping in buckets and bags is not something to cheer about. This is an unadulterated mess and Carnival should be ashamed of themselves. There were complaints well before this cruise about propulsion issues (i.e. this very thread) and Carnival rolled the dice on people's vacation. Now we should pat them on the back for coughing up a few pennies after leaving people in the lurch like that? That's like having a drunk driver run into your car then acting all nice and apologizing and then offering to fix it for you. Thanks pal but maybe you shouldn't be on the road. What do ya think?

Exactly. Carnival knew about the propulsion issues, gambled on the condition of the ship holding out, and lost in a big way. Now they're going to have to shell out a lot of extra money and suffer the bad publicity because they lost their bet. Their motives are hardly altruistic... they're doing what they have to do.

I'm sure 5 CCL Cheerleaders will respond with all sorts of nonsense along the lines of "They didn't have to excuse their Sail & Sign balances! They didn't have to give them a free cruise!" Well consider what would have happened if they did none of that... Imagine how much worse the press would be. It's called damage control, not altruism.

I have to agree with you. I think happening on the last day of the cruise, they were very lucky. Especially when you consider what Carnival is doing for them. This cruise is free and anything on your sign and sail card is free, future cruise credit for the amount spent for this cruise, and any charges for air travel. I'm sorry this happened to them, but that's life things sometime happen. Carnival is acting responsible as far as I can see.

I agree that these guys are so luck for this to happen on their last day of the cruise.

I disagree that Carnival is acting responsibly. If so, they would have docked this ship, tried to locate and fix the problem, and not put any passengers in this situation in the first place.

Very well written, thankfully this happened in calm seas at a cool time of year. It would be even worse in summer and could be huge diaster during strom season. Anyone who takes this lightly has no idea of the potential problems when the ship is dead in the water.

"I know I am not crazy but it does seem like there are allot of major issues with their ships. Didn't know about the Destiny having the problem too. Seems like Carnival is not fixing or checking their ships. I can understand problems with one but it is beginning to be a continous cycle"

This is what happens when you buy and build bigger ships without putting in the extra capacity to help run the Electrics etc! only a matter of time before more ships become involved in the same issues.

Carnival is doing good with their offerings to make up for this.

Refund for the cruise, refund for dollars spent on sail and sign, refunds for transportation and a future cruise credit.

I think whether people feel it is for damage control or not, it is being done and that is good.

The question I have is... this ship was to return to port today. People could be back to their jobs tomorrow. Now they are saying they may not get back until Thursday or Friday. So, what about loss of pay for three or four days? I am sure they won't reimburse that, not even sure if trip insurance would. But that would be a big cut in anyone's paycheck... does anyone know if trip insurance would cover this? This could be helpful information for those onboard...

Wow great call!

Lucky? Are you serious? Maybe they are, but not in the absurd way you've described.

THEIR SHIP CAUGHT ON FIRE!

Have you any idea how easily something like that can become a major disaster? They tell you how dangerous fire is aboard a ship during their own muster drills. Apparently we have more to fear from shoddy maintenance than from errant cigarettes.

Thankfully the fire suppression system wasn't as faulty as the engines! This is the second such fire in less than three years. How many other cruise lines have had two engine room fires in that period of time? I can't think of any. Something is very wrong with CCL's maintenance program. All the cost cutting in the passenger areas is probably even worse down below.

I swear, if the bloody ship would have sank some folks around here would be posting about how much they've always wanted to ride in a lifeboat!

Lucky? Are you serious? Maybe they are, but not in the absurd way you've described.

THEIR SHIP CAUGHT ON FIRE!

Have you any idea how easily something like that can become a major disaster? They tell you how dangerous fire is aboard a ship during their own muster drills. Apparently we have more to fear from shoddy maintenance than from errant cigarettes.

Thankfully the fire suppression system wasn't as faulty as the engines! This is the second such fire in less than three years. How many other cruise lines have had two engine room fires in that period of time? I can't think of any. Something is very wrong with CCL's maintenance program. All the cost cutting in the passenger areas is probably even worse down below.

I swear, if the bloody ship would have sank some folks around here would be posting about how much they've always wanted to ride in a lifeboat!

Been on this board for 10 years or so. Never seen a post that I have agreed with more.

When you have over 4200 passengers and crew that are uninjured and will be back on land in 48 hours, I'd call that under control.

What would you call it??

I'd call a ship drifting in the Gulf of Mexico out of control. Unless one wants to say the currents are in control.

If the people on this boat were "lucky", the boat would have broke down 5 minutes after they left, so they could easily be tugged back to port and sent home.

I'd rather spend 3 days on a ship riding 35 foot swells than 1 day on a ship dead in the water on glass seas.

Archived