Celebrity Passages NEVER Again!!!

adamtennis

Wow!!! I just got off the phone with a Celebrity agent and I am both frustrated and amazed! To be fair, I had absolutely no idea how the Celebrity Passages account worked before I bought it. I should have done more research! And, I definitely was not FULLY informed by the Celebrity agent who sold me on the idea during a previous cruise (again, my bad for not knowing). If I knew then what I know now, I never would have given Celebrity a $100 deposit towards a future cruise. I honestly feel as if I threw $100 in the garbage!

In an effort to understand my dilemma, it may be helpful to know that I live in the south Florida area and I have the ability to be somewhat flexible in my vacation plans. Consequently, I have the ability to choose cruises based on getting a special deal, promotion, rate, etc. As I have recently found out the hard way, I cannot use my passages account with any special rate or promotion.

At this point, I don't even care if I don't get the OBC. I even asked the agent if I could simply use my $100 deposit that I've already paid for. He said NO! Really??? I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable. I already paid Celebrity $100 - so I'm not asking for anything I didn't pay for (Celebrity can keep the OBC that is typically assigned to the passages account). But alas, it is not to be!

So, for all of you who may be considering booking a Celebrity Passages during your next cruise, please read ALL of the fine print and ask the agents LOTS of questions before giving them any money. Don't make the same mistake that I made!

Please pardon my frustration - but I'm incredibly pissed off (and before you flame this response - please know that I am pissed off at myself more than anyone else). While it may not help me get my $100 back, if my experience can keep someone else from making the same mistake - that may be worth something :)

Adam

The only thing I can say is "Misery loves company." There are lots of us out there who have run into the same situation with benefits not being combinable. The one good thing is that you actually haven't thrown out your $100. Eventually (I hope) you'll come across an X cruise that you want to go on that doesn't have a promo attached to it and you'll be able to use your certificate.

Not all promos block combining your Passages with other deals, but many do. I haven't used them because I believe you cant combine it with the RCL stockholders OBC which is usually better than the Passages. I get them all mixed up, but I think that is correct.

As soon as the onboard rep starts telling me about a deal, I tell them I'm a stockholder and you can see their face drop.

There are a lot of restrictions to the various sales/benefits and so on....dont even ask the Brits about 1-2-3 unless you want another 100+ post thread!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sitting with potential deposits on some Princess cruise that may go to waste just because there are better deals than what the prepaid desposit type deal is.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Misunderstanding do happen

We book a future cruise for RCL and we believed we could use it also on Celebrity ( book it before we ever did a cruise on Celebrity)

Cannot use on Celebrity and really do not want to do RCL :(

One thing we are Canadians, so we can transfer them to someone else

Our maybe take the grand kids on a RCL

Not all promos block combining your Passages with other deals, but many do. I haven't used them because I believe you cant combine it with the RCL stockholders OBC which is usually better than the Passages. I get them all mixed up, but I think that is correct.

As soon as the onboard rep starts telling me about a deal, I tell them I'm a stockholder and you can see their face drop.

There are a lot of restrictions to the various sales/benefits and so on....dont even ask the Brits about 1-2-3 unless you want another 100+ post thread!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sitting with potential deposits on some Princess cruise that may go to waste just because there are better deals than what the prepaid desposit type deal is.

Den

Re: stockholders benefit vs Passages, you got that reversed. For 14 night or longer, passages gives $300 SBC vs $250 with Shareholders Credit.

on RCl, Future bookings and stockholders SBC is the same @ $250 for 14 nts or more.

Edited by kwokpot

Sorry you're not finding your certificate of value.

I find them to be great, and try never to sail without using one. As far as combining them with other promotions, sometimes it's permitted, sometimes not. I'm about to sail on 3 b2b cruises, all of which came with an OBC credit from Celebrity which could be combined with the OBC from Passages certificates. Sadly, I only had one Passages certificate in my pocket at the time. So I don't get as much OBC on two of the cruises.

Passages certificates never expire. So hang on to the one you have and something is bound to turn up. In the meantime, why not take advantage of whatever else they're offering if you really want to go on a cruise.

One thing to be aware of: if you book a cruise using a Passages certificate, do NOT cancel the cruise. If you do, you lose your $100. Rather, if you find yourself unable to take the booked cruise, move the booking to another cruise, keeping the same booking number (which is the Passages certificate number). You can do this indefinitely until you're able to book a cruise you can take.

Hope you find this information useful.

@ Deidre - thanks for the empathy. I agree - misery does love company :)

@Denny01 - since misery does love company (and I'm miserable right now), I'd definitely be interested in hearing what they Brits think about the 123 promo :)

@ Airbalancer & A Sixth - I was considering going on a cruise this spring and use the 123go promotion. However, I just found out that the 123go promotion is not combinable with anything! However, prior to this, I was not able to combine it with a special rate of some kind (honestly, I can't remember if it was a Happy Hour special or a resident rate that we used). And prior to that, I'm not sure what it was not combinable with ... but it was something LOL

As I stated in my original post, I don't even care about the OBC that comes with the passages account. Celebrity doesn't have to give me the onboard credit for giving them my $100. I just want to use my deposit! I simply want to be able to apply my original $100 deposit to my next cruise.

I do appreciate the replies :)

Adam

@Denny01 - since misery does love company (and I'm miserable right now), I'd definitely be interested in hearing what they Brits think about the 123 promo :)

@ Airbalancer & A Sixth - I was considering going on a cruise this spring and use the 123go promotion. However, I just found out that the 123go promotion is not combinable with anything! However, prior to this, I was not able to combine it with a special rate of some kind (honestly, I can't remember if it was a Happy Hour special or a resident rate that we used). And prior to that, I'm not sure what it was not combinable with ... but it was something LOL

As I stated in my original post, I don't even care about the OBC that comes with the passages account. Celebrity doesn't have to give me the onboard credit for giving them my $100. I just want to use my deposit! I simply want to be able to apply my original $100 deposit to my next cruise.

Adam

Why don't you just book the trip the old fashion way and put a deposit down, using a TA you'll get the 123 thingy, and in my case free Grats and OBC

FWIW I never buy Celebrity Certificates but always buy Princess ones which have zero restriction.

Adam

Hi Adam:

I think you should try to call Celebrity again.

I recently booked a cruise with a Passages Certificate (I had three) but because I wanted the 123-GO promotion, which was not combinable with the Passages certificate, I knew that I would not get the on board credit associated with the Passages certificate. I also had to bring the deposit up to the standard 50% deposit allowed under the 123-Go promotion. So I used my Passages certificate, worth $200, and added $250 to my Visa, to bring my deposit up to the $450 deposit (which was 50% of the $900 that the deposit would have been without the 123-GO Promotion).

Under normal circumstances, I save my Celebrity Passages certificates for cruises that are not offering other promotions, particularly if it is a cruise of 14 days or longer, where the Passages OBC is $300. It's insurance that I will always be able to get some kind of benefit on a Celebrity cruise.

Also, there ARE some offers that ARE combinable with Passages Certificates...I received one in the Spring of 2012.

I have always found Celebrity to be very fair. If you can't get the help you need from a front-line agent at Celebrity, ask to speak to someone at the Resolutions Desk.

Misunderstanding do happen

We book a future cruise for RCL and we believed we could use it also on Celebrity ( book it before we ever did a cruise on Celebrity)

Cannot use on Celebrity and really do not want to do RCL :(

One thing we are Canadians, so we can transfer them to someone else

Our maybe take the grand kids on a RCL

Oh, take the grandkids on RCI, they will love it and you will have introduced them to cruising = Grandparents of the year! I suggest Oasis or Allure!:D

@ A Sixth - I may end up doing just that. I'm not at all against that idea - my frustration stems from having purchased this passages account two years ago and I've yet to be able to use this it. It's very frustrating!

By the way ... if you know of any TA that offers the 123 thingy with free grats and OBC - I'd love to get that information :)

Adam

If you book a European cruise in June, July or August 2013, you will get the beverage package, the complimentary gratuities and $300 on board credit. You can get this by calling Celebrity direct, or if you find an online TA, they may offer even more OBC, in addition to the three benefits Celebrity is offering with the 123-GO promotion.

This is a great time to do a Baltic cruise, as they are only offered in the summer, and they often don't have any promotions associated with them, as demand for Baltic cruises has been high in the past few years.

Oh, take the grandkids on RCI, they will love it and you will have introduced them to cruising = Grandparents of the year! I suggest Oasis or Allure!:D

I totally second this suggestion, even if you don't have grandchildren :).

I thought I would NEVER want to go on a ship the size of Oasis or Allure, as I think the Celebrity ships are just perfect for us, but I was given an offer I couldn't refuse to go on the Oasis and I just loved the whole experience. We weren't big fans of our cruise on the Serenade of the Seas, but I would sail on the Oasis or Allure again in a heartbeat. It's a different kind of cruising experience, but it is a lot of fun, and supremely well-organized. Crowding was never an issue anywhere.

CELEBRITY PROMOTION RULES 101

Always read the fine print, qualifications and restrictions!

There always is a " promotion" , they aren't combinable!

If you don't like an answer a hone rep gives, hang up and call back, you will often get a different answer !

I was able to use my passages OBC with the senior discount on my upcoming TA, so go figure.

I'm still sitting with a 2012 year end $ 500 deposit with matching discount offer coupon. I never saw that it had to be booked by 12/31, so I lost the match. I called to complain, because I was never told of the deadline when I purchased the coupons ( I bought two thinking I could use them anytime ). They agreed to give me $300 OBC for the unused one.

At this point, I don't even care if I don't get the OBC. I even asked the agent if I could simply use my $100 deposit that I've already paid for. He said NO! Really??? I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable. I already paid Celebrity $100 - so I'm not asking for anything I didn't pay for (Celebrity can keep the OBC that is typically assigned to the passages account). But alas, it is not to be!

Adam

Find another agent.

This has happened to us twice and we just used the Passage $100.00 deposit without the OBC. We did it once for Xpedition and the only bonus is the low deposit when booking this cruise 2 years in advance.

We just did it for another cruise on Solstice for next year with the 123 Go promo, again using the $100.00 deposit and paying $100.00 to name the second person. We can even pay the full deposit if we wish and get into our agents group with additional OBC, again the only bonus is not loosing the original $100.00. We can also wait until the deadline date for the group, assuming group space is still available. So right now we have only put down $200.00 and cabin is booked.

Edited by Jade13

Hi Adam:

I recently booked a cruise with a Passages Certificate (I had three) but because I wanted the 123-GO promotion, which was not combinable with the Passages certificate, I knew that I would not get the on board credit associated with the Passages certificate. I also had to bring the deposit up to the standard 50% deposit allowed under the 123-Go promotion. So I used my Passages certificate, worth $200, and added $250 to my Visa, to bring my deposit up to the $450 deposit (which was 50% of the $900 that the deposit would have been without the 123-GO Promotion).

I was able to use the Passage $100.00 per person deposit with the 123 Go promo. For some reason outside agents can do this, but if booking directly through Celebrity people have not been able to do this.

Edited by Jade13

Hi Adam,

The comments from member Elena7seas (Post #11) are the way I understand the usage of the passages certficiate and 123 GO. I've read all the posts, and I'm unsure if that's what the primary issue is. In your first post, you didnt even mention 123 GO. If this is the issue... you must be willing to pay the difference between the amount of the passages certificate, and the standard deposit, to be eligible for 123 GO. Also, you would lose any OBC's associated with the passages certificate. As long as you are willing to go that route, it should work for you.

Are you booking direct with Celebrity, or using a TA ? Lastly, per our Guidelines : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines , we cannot specific discuss TA's on here, or ask members for TA recommendations.

If there's additional information you can share, it would be helpful. Thanks !

Edited by Host Andy

Host Andy's got it. I booked under the 1-2-3 promo and gave up our $100 Passages OBC but the deposit still counted. Got the original $100 payment for the Passages Certificate back towards the deposit. Broke even and likely won't buy a Passages Certificate again given the restrictions with almost all the good deals.

I can't thank you all enough --- I truly appreciate all the information.

I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. The issue with the cruise that I am currently looking at is with the 123go promotion on an upcoming Caribbean cruise sometime this March. Again, we can be a bit flexible on the specific dates, so we typically choose cruises based on special prices, discounted rates, etc.

However, this is not the first time that I was told I couldn't use the passages certificate. As I stated previously, I purchased this certificate over 2 years ago. We are Elite members on Celebrity and have cruised quite a bit ... so this has been an ongoing issue. Despite all of our cruising, I had never been tempted to purchase a Passages certificate in the past. But 2 years ago, the Celebrity agent on-board the Solstice was quite convincing as to the benefits of this program (and I was quite naive as to the limits of the certificate). Again, my bad for not knowing more about the program - I've since learned my lesson!

With regards to today's phone call to book a cruise, had the Celebrity agent informed me this afternoon that I could simply pay the difference in the deposit, lose the OBC and be able to apply my $100 towards this cruise, this would have been a non-issue! However, the agent was fairly adamant that I could not use my $100 deposit at all with the 123go promotion. I clearly offered to lose the OBC, and given that the cruise is next month, we would have to make full payment immediately. I would've been happy with those arrangements - at this point, just being able to use my original $100 payment would be awesome :)

While I typically book all my cruises directly with Celebrity, it sounds like others have gotten better deals with outside travel agents. I will try to go that route tomorrow. I greatly apologize if my request for travel agent information broke the rules ... that was not my intention - I'm very sorry Andy :)

Again, thank you to everyone for your time, input and suggestions. Having this type of forum that enables everyone to share this type of information is GREAT!

Adam

Call Celebrity back. Speak to someone else. Keep calling until you get someone who tells you what other posters have said...you CAN use your certificate as $100 towards the cruise you want...understanding you will lose the OBC associated with it.

Keep in mind that the people you are speaking to often don't understand the rules as well as the cruisers do.

Thanks for the heads up.

Den

Perhaps OT but the Princess ones are good for 4 years and if you don't plan to use it you can get them refunded. The Princess future cruise credit program seems to be one of the best out there because I have never seen a rate restriction that does not allow you to use it and get your OBC.

In regards to the OP - If you're willing to forgo the benefit of the passages account OBC, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't allow you to just apply your $100 towards the deposit. Seems like they're holding that money hostage.

The marketing on a lot of these specials can be really tricky. Sometimes the cheapest price doesn't get you the best overall deal. I know savvy travelers understand that there is a lot to look at to see what works best for us, and especially read the fine print and question reservations agents extensively. I feel bad for those who are newer to traveling and see what appears to be a great deal and it turns out not to be.

I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. The issue with the cruise that I am currently looking at is with the 123go promotion on an upcoming Caribbean cruise sometime this March. Again, we can be a bit flexible on the specific dates, so we typically choose cruises based on special prices, discounted rates, etc.

However, this is not the first time that I was told I couldn't use the passages certificate. As I stated previously, I purchased this certificate over 2 years ago. We are Elite members on Celebrity and have cruised quite a bit ... so this has been an ongoing issue. Despite all of our cruising, I had never been tempted to purchase a Passages certificate in the past. But 2 years ago, the Celebrity agent on-board the Solstice was quite convincing as to the benefits of this program (and I was quite naive as to the limits of the certificate). Again, my bad for not knowing more about the program - I've since learned my lesson!

With regards to today's phone call to book a cruise, had the Celebrity agent informed me this afternoon that I could simply pay the difference in the deposit, lose the OBC and be able to apply my $100 towards this cruise, this would have been a non-issue! However, the agent was fairly adamant that I could not use my $100 deposit at all with the 123go promotion. I clearly offered to lose the OBC, and given that the cruise is next month, we would have to make full payment immediately. I would've been happy with those arrangements - at this point, just being able to use my original $100 payment would be awesome :)

While I typically book all my cruises directly with Celebrity, it sounds like others have gotten better deals with outside travel agents. I will try to go that route tomorrow. I greatly apologize if my request for travel agent information broke the rules ... that was not my intention - I'm very sorry Andy :)

Again, thank you to everyone for your time, input and suggestions. Having this type of forum that enables everyone to share this type of information is GREAT!

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the additional information, and no worries about the TA item. I highly recommend calling Celebrity tomorrow, and use the suggestion I offered in my earlier post. If they say no, ask to speak with a supervisor. From all accounts by our members whom have used Passages, as long everyone is on the same page, it should work out in your favor.

Please come back, and let us know what happens. Good Luck !

Edited by Host Andy

Adam

Was unable to use passages cetificate because I could not transfer to my TA, was beynd 60 days so I simply asked for my money back which Celebrity cheerfully did. No passages certs for me too restrictive