Golden v. Star Princess

Working 2 Cruise

We just may be able to go on our 5th cruise to Hawaii in April! :D I have done this cruise four times, one on the Sapphire and three times on the Golden so I know about Elua. They are wonderful!

The reason I am looking at the Star is that it goes to Kona.... We have never been there. My concern is that I have read reviews about the Star that were not so glowing, particularly where the food is concerned. One of the reviews was from someone I cruised with to Mexico and I think he was fair in his assessment. He definitely is not the type to complain about small things...

So, what is everyone's opinion of the Star? 14 days with bad food would be such a disappointment... My co-cruiser's cruise on the Star was a few months ago and hope that it was just a "one off."

Thanks everyone!

I was startled to see Kona was back on the itinerary so I took a look see. Sure enough' date=' one sailing does have Kona instead of Hilo. I wonder how that came about.[/quote']

The only reason I would not pick this one is that my son and a friend may be able, through friends, to go with us at a greatly discounted fare... Not sure which cruise that would be.

It should be interesting to see Kona since we have been to Hilo so many times.

So, folks, what are the main differences between the Golden and the Star?

So, folks, what are the main differences between the Golden and the Star?

They are twins in almost every way.

Was on the Star in 16 days last year and 27 days the year before. Would not hesitate to cruise on the Star again.

In my opinion, there isn't as much to do in Kona as there is in Hilo (my favorite city of all). And you do have to tender into Kona. That being said, you will need to rent a car and there are several national parks or national monuments in Kona. It is very different from Hilo (or any of the other ports).

Do your homework, rent a car, and visit a coffee plantation, a vanilla bean farm, and I think there are lots of small produce farms around.

Renee (displaced local girl)

In my opinion, there isn't as much to do in Kona as there is in Hilo (my favorite city of all). And you do have to tender into Kona. That being said, you will need to rent a car and there are several national parks or national monuments in Kona. It is very different from Hilo (or any of the other ports).

Do your homework, rent a car, and visit a coffee plantation, a vanilla bean farm, and I think there are lots of small produce farms around.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Thanks, that was very helpful!

Can't help with the ships, but there is a seahorse farm in Kona, which is very interesting. I think there are only 5 in the world.

Kona is a big draw for me too. DH likes Hilo better, but for our next (4th) Hawaii cruise I'm hoping to get that itin. I would book the Star for that. :)

Pat

We just may be able to go on our 5th cruise to Hawaii in April! :D I have done this cruise four times, one on the Sapphire and three times on the Golden so I know about Elua. They are wonderful!

The reason I am looking at the Star is that it goes to Kona.... We have never been there. My concern is that I have read reviews about the Star that were not so glowing, particularly where the food is concerned. One of the reviews was from someone I cruised with to Mexico and I think he was fair in his assessment. He definitely is not the type to complain about small things...

So, what is everyone's opinion of the Star? 14 days with bad food would be such a disappointment... My co-cruiser's cruise on the Star was a few months ago and hope that it was just a "one off."

Thanks everyone!

I take the reviews with a grain of salt, food is subjective.

We have never had an issue on the Star.

Can't help with the ships, but there is a seahorse farm in Kona, which is very interesting. I think there are only 5 in the world.

Kona is a big draw for me too. DH likes Hilo better, but for our next (4th) Hawaii cruise I'm hoping to get that itin. I would book the Star for that. :)

Pat

That seahorse farm would be great to visit!

We were very happy with the food on the Star in Nov/Dec 2012. I thought the pizza was great, after trying it on other ships and being disappointed. Pub lunch was good too - and we had been disappointed with that on another ship.

We were just on Star to Mexico last October. She's in excellent shape. We really enjoyed the crew, food etc. We thought the food was even better than what we had on Royal Caribbean last January. We'd get back on Star tomorrow if we could!

Archived