Epic for honeymooners???

FoxyBride14

My fiancé and I wanted to do a Mediterranean cruise for part of our honeymoon. I noticed that we can get a mini-suite for a pretty good deal on the epic. How is that ship? We have only traveled on royal caribbean and celebrity so how do they compare?

Thanks!!!

The Epic is a very nice and big ship with lot of things to do and see and with a lot of restaurants. And The Haven (in case you consider this) is also big. However, the Epic does not have a lot of outside space and the rooms are rather small. Also the suites are remarkably smaller then on other NCL ships. Even in The Haven there is not much personal attention, simply because there are so many other guests. It would not be my first choice if I was planning a honeymoon... The Jade (in the Med in 2013) is more suitable, IMHO. Compared to similar RCCL ships it think the Epic is a bit of a let down.

The Epic is a very nice and big ship with lot of things to do and see and with a lot of restaurants. And The Haven is also big. However, the Epic does not have a lot of outside space and the rooms are rather small. Also the suites are remarkably smaller then on other NCL ships. Even in The Haven there is not much personal attention, simply because there are so many other guests. It would not be my first choice if I was planning a honeymoon... The Jade (in the Med in 2013) is more suitable, IMHO.

Thanks for your post. We are getting married in 2014, and we wanted to do a cruise out of Barcelona so that was only option on Norwegian. I'll look into other ones then.

Thanks for your post. We are getting married in 2014, and we wanted to do a cruise out of Barcelona so that was only option on Norwegian. I'll look into other ones then.

I think you'll do fne on the EPIC - remember the cruise will be very port intensive but Epic has different restaurants for you to choose to dine in each night.

As for mini-suite - we were in cat MA in 2011 and in MD in 2012, and we prefer the MB/MD design better - bed closer to the front door but large shower (big enough for 3) and larger space by the balcony door. The other deisgn (MA/MC) has bed closer to balcony door but has bathtub (that you can stand in to shower) that is a short one - not a soaking tub.

We had a mini, 44044, on Epic for an Eastern sailing in Dec 2012. We loved the extra space in the mini and the location was fantastic, one floor below and right around the corner to both the main pool and buffet. It is also right around the corner from the elevators and Recess, but we heard no noise from either. Another great choice would be one of the spa minis, which we have decided we will do next time (if we can go without kids). Epic is a wonderful ship and we never felt overcrowded. You can get a table for 2 by a window for dinner and there is a pool/lounge area just for adults. We loved the ship, and although we weren't honeymooning, I would still recommend it...unless you truly want to be on a small ship. Blue Man Group was fantastic as well.

If you do choose this ship, I don't beleve you will be disappointed, but whatever you do, have a wonderful time!

Best wishes!

Robin

We had a mini, 44044, on Epic for an Eastern sailing in Dec 2012. We loved the extra space in the mini and the location was fantastic, one floor below and right around the corner to both the main pool and buffet. It is also right around the corner from the elevators and Recess, but we heard no noise from either. Another great choice would be one of the spa minis, which we have decided we will do next time (if we can go without kids). Epic is a wonderful ship and we never felt overcrowded. You can get a table for 2 by a window for dinner and there is a pool/lounge area just for adults. We loved the ship, and although we weren't honeymooning, I would still recommend it...unless you truly want to be on a small ship. Blue Man Group was fantastic as well.

If you do choose this ship, I don't beleve you will be disappointed, but whatever you do, have a wonderful time!

Best wishes!

Robin

14044 has the bed by the door like MB/MC. It's for families due to the 4th berth.

By the way, please be aware that the Spa MINI-suites (M9) do NOT have a spa IN the room - but it comes with ACCESS to the Spa to use the facilities.

Whilst we were not honeymooners as such ( 22 years married! ) it WAS our first Summer holiday without our DD. :eek:

We did the Epic sailing from Barcelona and loved every minute of it!

As a previous poster said, it IS a very port-intensive trip, but a great way, we felt, to get a taste for places to which we may hopefully return to for longer.

The Epic is a great ship, lots of good restaurants and the entertainment is second to none! If you give it a try, be sure and let us know how you get on! Happy cruising.......and planning! :)

I think the Epic would be a great ship for a honeymooning couple. We have quite a few on our roll call. Wonderful entertainment. The Freestyle approach is really nice on a port intensive itinerary such as the Med. We had a MA mini #11090 with a tub and the bed near the balcony. My tub was huge.

14044 has the bed by the door like MB/MC. It's for families due to the 4th berth.

By the way, please be aware that the Spa MINI-suites (M9) do NOT have a spa IN the room - but it comes with ACCESS to the Spa to use the facilities.

Sorry, I went crazy with the 4's, yes 14044. It does have the bed near the shower and a pull down for a 4th, but considering the cabin is only 246 sq ft inclusive, nothing is far away. The large shower is wonderful as well.

I didn't intend and don't believe I was implying the spa mini's have a spa in the room, but the thermal spa is quite impressive and looks to be a wonderful place to relax, hence the reason we would choose that type of room in the future.

My humble apologies if you felt I was misleading in any way. I was just relaying, from my single experience, what a wonderful ship Epic is and some of the offerings.

Blessings to FoxyBride14 and her intended on their life together.

I think you'll do fne on the EPIC - remember the cruise will be very port intensive but Epic has different restaurants for you to choose to dine in each night.

As for mini-suite - we were in cat MA in 2011 and in MD in 2012, and we prefer the MB/MD design better - bed closer to the front door but large shower (big enough for 3) and larger space by the balcony door. The other deisgn (MA/MC) has bed closer to balcony door but has bathtub (that you can stand in to shower) that is a short one - not a soaking tub.

I'm a little new to this, what is cat ma and md? What's the difference?

Thank for all the help. I am interested to try a new cruise line and I've heard different things about Norwegian. But for the money, we might give it a try. I like the idea of the spa rooms. I'll have to see the prices on that. I noticed there's another thread on the the different rooms on the epic, so I'm going to check it out.

I'm a little new to this, what is cat ma and md? What's the difference?

Category MA and MD are mini-suites the A and D just designate the level of mini and the prices will be different. Be sure to research the rooms, as some suggest the bump out on the plan by the balcony is the more desirable location as opposed to being by the door. The bump out will show where the bed is set up.

I would have to concur with Aladdin 68.

While I realize that ship impressions are very subjective, we just returned from the Epic (BB Balcony) and were underwhelmed with the ship. Specifically, for a honeymoon cruise, the ship did seem crowded compared to Princess Grand Class and Celebrity X. For my honeymoon (I have only had one and it was many years ago) I would want something more relaxed and elegant. This is not a knock on NCL as we are looking forward to a suite on the Jade this fall in Med. It is not really a knock on the Epic either since we felt the food and entertainment were very good. Just wouldn't be my cup of tea for a honeymoon. Best wishes and good luck.

Archived