Thomson Majesty Disaster

Jakanne1. The distance from S. C. de La Palma to Santa Cruz de Tenerife is 165nm by sea. At a speed of 18 knots it should take just a little over 9 hours.

Is a nautical mile longer or shorter than a land mile? And how fast is a knot?

Hi Everyone,

Thomson Cruises can confirm the Thomson Majesty Colourful Coasts itinerary will sail as planned tomorrow (15th February, 2013), from Santa Cruz, Tenerife and Gran Canaria on Saturday (16th February, 2013).

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan for confirming this. I just want to praise your team for their updates on the forum over the past few days, letting everyone know what is going on. :)

Hi Everyone,

Thomson Cruises can confirm the Thomson Majesty Colourful Coasts itinerary will sail as planned tomorrow (15th February, 2013), from Santa Cruz, Tenerife and Gran Canaria on Saturday (16th February, 2013).

Regards,

Dan.

Fantastic news, thank you Dan.

They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.

there wouldnt be a fall left if they tried putting that weight on, probably 15ton (about 3 x max needed working load) ample if a single fall or 1/2 that if a double fall, doubt if the winches would lift more that anyway

there wouldnt be a fall left if they tried putting that weight on, probably 15ton (about 3 x max needed working load) ample if a single fall or 1/2 that if a double fall, doubt if the winches would lift more that anyway

Of course you are right. It was just that those bags were BIG and all the lifeboats had labels near the winch with cable replacement dates and minimum weights which in the case of boat 9 were over 180 somethings for each cable. I presumed they were tons.

Well, i offered an apology if my comments were misunderstood, and none of those that jumped on me can even be bothered to reply, even though they are supposed to be the "friendlier" forum users, so that's it, i have removed my future sailings from my signature, and i won't be bothering any of you again.

Lets hope you can all treat future forum members with more courtesy that i have been shown, for only telling the truth, otherwise this will be a quiet place.

Sodafountain, please do not leave the forum. I have felt the same at times on here but am pleased I didn't give up because I have made some lovely friends on here that I would be happy to have a drink with on a future cruise.

Of course you are right. It was just that those bags were BIG and all the lifeboats had labels near the winch with cable replacement dates and minimum weights which in the case of boat 9 were over 180 somethings for each cable. I presumed they were tons.

hmmm cant think what the 180 would be ,maybe something funny like newtons sq mm ,certainly not tons, not sure of the lifeboat capacities on Majesty but for an 80 person one (open type) id reckon deadweight of about 4 ton for the boat and around 6-7 ton of bodies (+1 ton if near end of cruise) so that only puts around 5-6 ton load on each end of the falls.

Still a mystery why that cable broke,the picture of it shows a very clean break, more what i would associate with the cable being dragged over a sharp edge if it had slipped out of a sheave,degraded cables usually break over a longer staggered length (had plenty of both types of break - the joys of fishing).

Sounds like you would have had an enjoyable holiday if it wasnt for the tragic turn of events, look forward to you reports on this in due course ,will be nice to hear it from someone sensible after seeing some of the moronic recent reviews.

Crusin Linda. It looks like the ais report times out and isn't being refreshed frequently at the moment. The transponder should be OK for the whole area of the canaries. If not try sailwx.info and use ship's radio call sign 9HA2188 to see its' reported tracking spots.

Sounds like you would have had an enjoyable holiday if it wasnt for the tragic turn of events, look forward to you reports on this in due course ,will be nice to hear it from someone sensible after seeing some of the moronic recent reviews.

I hope you are not calling me a moron :D:D:D

I have just re-submitted my review and realized why it never went on before! I hadn't checked the box to say it was all my own work - doh:o:o

I promise to do a port review soon, but reading Kruzseeka's review has made me feel inadequate :rolleyes:

hmmm cant think what the 180 would be ,maybe something funny like newtons sq mm ,certainly not tons, not sure of the lifeboat capacities on Majesty but for an 80 person one (open type) id reckon deadweight of about 4 ton for the boat and around 6-7 ton of bodies (+1 ton if near end of cruise) so that only puts around 5-6 ton load on each end of the falls.

Still a mystery why that cable broke,the picture of it shows a very clean break, more what i would associate with the cable being dragged over a sharp edge if it had slipped out of a sheave,degraded cables usually break over a longer staggered length (had plenty of both types of break - the joys of fishing).

boat 9 was a catamaran type so more passengers?. i should have taken a picture of the labels.

Glad to see Majesty does not have far to go now. She's doing 16 knots at 06:50 and is just NE of Santa Cruz De Tenerife. My bags are packed and I'm off to the airport in an hour from now. Looking forward to a great week's R&R on board. :-)

Fab to see Marine Traffic showing Majesty at Tenerife :D

Linda, I enjoy your reviews! Like Kruzseeka, Dave and other regulars I know that when I read your posts I am going to get a sensible balanced review that is going to really help a novice cruiser like me :)

They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.

yes...a few years ago I watched them doing this on the 'then' Island star

i have a pic...the bags are empty here but you can just how big they are:eek:

the bags are huge! they fill them with sea water to stress test the falls/davits...I dont know how much they hold but must be a lot!

I'm guessing that this must have part of regular drill/exercise/maintenance?

davits.jpg

Glad to see Majesty does not have far to go now. She's doing 16 knots at 06:50 and is just NE of Santa Cruz De Tenerife. My bags are packed and I'm off to the airport in an hour from now. Looking forward to a great week's R&R on board. :-)
I expect you have already left home, but anyway, have a good holiday:)

Fab to see Marine Traffic showing Majesty at Tenerife :D

Linda, I enjoy your reviews! Like Kruzseeka, Dave and other regulars I know that when I read your posts I am going to get a sensible balanced review that is going to really help a novice cruiser like me :)

Thanks Deb. Hope all who go this week have a good holiday after all the sadness and uncertainty. I'm sure, as Dave says, the crew will be as wonderful as ever and smiling, even though they must feel so sad.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are at airport and looking forward to having a much needed rest. As a piece of trivia re the fall testing bags 1 gallon of water weighs 10 pounds or a little over 4.5 kilos. How many gallons per tonne? ;)

I have just re-submitted my review and realized why it never went on before! I hadn't checked the box to say it was all my own work - doh:o:o

I promise to do a port review soon, but reading Kruzseeka's review has made me feel inadequate :rolleyes:

Hi Cruising Linda, can't find your review been waiting to read it where is it :)

Thanks for the good wishes. We are at airport and looking forward to having a much needed rest. As a piece of trivia re the fall testing bags 1 gallon of water weighs 10 pounds or a little over 4.5 kilos. How many gallons per tonne? ;)

easier to think and picture in metric ,1 litre = 1kg ,1 cubic metre = 1000 litres = 1 tonne

It depends on the units! For pure water

In the US:

1 (short) ton = 2000 lb = 240 US gallons

1 (metric) tonne = 1 m^3 = 264 US gallons

In the UK:

1 (long) ton = 2240 lb = 224 Imperial gallons = 288 US gallons

1 (metric) ton = 220 Imperial gallons

So, plenty of room for confusion there! AND, of course, it will be slightly different for sea water!

Trivial calculations aside, it's very good to hear that all passengers are safely home, and that the ship is to sail again as planned. It was a truly tragic event, but there will be an element of positive outcome if the publicity ensures greater safety.

Archived