Thomson Majesty Disaster

Heres a comment you can believe ...

:)

I hope you get to relax and if you can, you and your hubby enjoy what is left of your holiday .

Best wishes

Kalos :):)

Best wishes from me too Shirley :) I hope you can enjoy what is left of the holiday. I hope it is sunny there, coz it's snowing here :(

Hi again Shirley, pleased all ok now as far as it can be and your in the hotel. Its supposed to be a really lovely one so hope you can relax until your flight home.

Must have been so stressful and upsetting.

Thanks for taking time to send me a message too, take care x

Sent from my Galaxy S111 using Tapatalk! !

Hello Shirley, tried to send you a message on here or FB the other day but it seems to have got lost. So glad you are safe & being looked after, this last week must have been awful for you & everyone onboard - I so felt for you particularly after your holiday was much needed and you needed a stress-free break. Can't imagine what it must have been like for all the passengers & crew, so sad & the atmosphere after the accident must have been so difficult. Hope you can at least relax the rest of today & tomorrow before you fly back to the UK xx

When i went on the Majesty for xmas and new year cruise we flew from Doncaster to Tenerife. Our flight was the last to join the ship and we arrived after the lifeboat drill. We just had a letter pushed under our stateroom door stating that they were aware we did not attend the drill and to just make ourselves familiar with were out lifebost station was and the route from our cabin to the station. Even though there was a drill next day for those boarding in Gran Canaria we were not asked to attend and were not asked to attend the drill the 2nd week of our cruise even though they knew we hadn't attended the first week. Having cruised many times before this wasn't a problem to my husband and i as we know the procedure but there were many first time cruisers on the flight. The Doncaster flight is also the latest flight every week so this is a regular occurance. Upon speaking to other passangers they were under the impression that our flight was in late but it wasn't it is the scheduled time

I think this is unacceptable. I am aware that the drill now has to take place before the ship sails but you should at least have had the opportunity to attend the drill next day. Even passengers who have changed cabins would be required to attend the drill if they were on board for a second week.

I agree with Linda here - Shirley didn't have to come on here to let us know of any of the news but she has been good enough to do so. There has been quite a lot of unpleasantness on here & the Facebook page over the last few days about what has happened which I personally feel is incredibly insensitive and un-necessary considering what has happened and what some people on the cruise have had to go through and of course not forgetting the very sad loss of the 5 lives and 3 others who were injured.

It's not the first time Sodafountain's remarks have been a bit caustic.

Hi Everyone,

With regards to future cruises on Thomson Majesty, at this time we have no reason to believe they will be impacted. The safety of customers on board is of paramount importance to us and investigations are still being conducted by the authorities and of course Thomson Cruises.

If the situation with future cruises was to change then we will contact any customers who will be affected.

Regards,

Dan.

Why are the passengers that have witnessed the poor safety standards of Thomson and then been sat waiting on dockside for 3 days been asked to pay for flights. Flights that were bought as a package but ended up using 4 different airports to sit in a dock

Dreamgirl do not let it upset you, I for one appreciate the info you have passed on, but guessed anyway what you told us, but did not releiase that you could go independent to join Thomson curises.

I ALWAYS book the full package, that way there are no problems when unforseen circumstances arise.

Try not to get too upset, I used to be a Mod on another site, and things that got slung at me, I could write a book, but learnt over time, to ignore and just carry on as normal. Take care.

As to the drills I am a little confused here, cause when we went on the Celebration last year, we HAD to turn up for the drill and names were called out and notes made on the people that did not turn up and those that did not, I actually saw them being given a tour, ok the second week we did not have to go, but checked first and was told no we did not have to go. So a bit confused as they have to by law go through the drill with EVERY passenger on board, and if they did not they are breaking the law.

It's not the first time Sodafountain's remarks have been a bit caustic.

Just saying what Thomson were liable for, as have others, so not sure why my posts alone are being picked on, schoolyard bullying it's starting to feel like now, as others who seem to have said the same are beng told not to worry, you understand, yet mine are frowned upon?

I never said anything nasty, vindictive, I never pointed any fingers or called anyone names, just pointed out why booking a cruise as a package was an advantage for situations like this, so why the nastiness towards me?

Thank you little nell sodafountain i didn't say you called me a freeloader you just made me feel like one end of conversation as far as i am concerned

You're was the first post to mention being a non package traveller, so that's why I responded, no offence was meant, was just trying to let others know what to expect, having been there when booking own flights (Easyjet) and hotels direct, when problems occur there was no package to fall back on.

Apologies I've offeneded you, my comments were meant as a warning to others before arranging their own travel, not a post directed at you.

Hope you get home safe and sound, and can enjoy your next holiday.

Just saying what Thomson were liable for, as have others, so not sure why my posts alone are being picked on, schoolyard bullying it's starting to feel like now, as others who seem to have said the same are beng told not to worry, you understand, yet mine are frowned upon?

I never said anything nasty, vindictive, I never pointed any fingers or called anyone names, just pointed out why booking a cruise as a package was an advantage for situations like this, so why the nastiness towards me?

Hi sodafountain, I didn't think you meant to cause any offence and I hope you don't feel you've been singled out. I mentioned independent travellers too, I think it's just all a bit raw at the minute.

Sent from my Galaxy S111 using Tapatalk! !

Sodafountain you were correct in an early post, emotions are running high! I never thought for a second that your posts were directly aimed at infoqueen or any other individual. I do also feel that some of the comments that were specifically directed at you were nothing more than sarcasm oh yes the lowest form of wit! I realise that you are only trying to make a valid point for the consideration of people thinking of booking a cruise.

This sort of heated and argumentative situation is just another problem of forum, fb or text chat, tone doesn't always come across as intended. Come on guys this tragic accident is bad enough without starting a fight on here, we are all sympathetic and concerned. :confused:

Well I am back home and everything is so sad really. They had a short service aboard for the crew yesterday and some passengers did attend although it was really for the crew. To be honest I don't think i had the guts to go, just too emotional.

They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.

Getting everyone home was well handled with only a couple of glitches. The majority flew home yesterday and the last 650 today. After we left at 1pm I was told that most of the crew will be stood down and can do whatever they want.

I found it humbling that, even after all that had happened the crew went on doing their jobs with the normal efficiency and even managed to smile.

The damaged number 9 lifeboat remains on the dock at La Palma and the twin number 10 on the port side is also out of service. Passengers allocated to those boats were reassigned to others, and had to attend another lifeboat drill.

I would not speculate on the ultimate cause of the accident as it will be a long business to determine if anyone was to blame or if there was a fault in the cable etc etc. Sadly, the only ones to profit out of this may well be the lawyers.

Well I am back home and everything is so sad really. They had a short service aboard for the crew yesterday and some passengers did attend although it was really for the crew. To be honest I don't think i had the guts to go, just too emotional.

They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.

Getting everyone home was well handled with only a couple of glitches. The majority flew home yesterday and the last 650 today. After we left at 1pm I was told that most of the crew will be stood down and can do whatever they want.

I found it humbling that, even after all that had happened the crew went on doing their jobs with the normal efficiency and even managed to smile.

The damaged number 9 lifeboat remains on the dock at La Palma and the twin number 10 on the port side is also out of service. Passengers allocated to those boats were reassigned to others, and had to attend another lifeboat drill.

I would not speculate on the ultimate cause of the accident as it will be a long business to determine if anyone was to blame or if there was a fault in the cable etc etc. Sadly, the only ones to profit out of this may well be the lawyers.

Welcome back Dave! Glad to hear you're back safely. Must have been a horrible few days. :( Good to see Thomson handling the situation well though with getting everyone home.

Hope you're well. I know many on here are feeling quite upset about the recent events, so it must have been awful being onboard with it all happening. :(

Why are the passengers that have witnessed the poor safety standards of Thomson and then been sat waiting on dockside for 3 days been asked to pay for flights. Flights that were bought as a package but ended up using 4 different airports to sit in a dock

Hi HM,

Customers on a package holiday with us are being given a full refund of their holiday cost, including their flights.

For those who are on a cruise and stay holiday, they're being given a 50% refund of their total holiday cost to cover the cruise element of their holiday. They've also been taken to Tenerife to continue the stay.

All customer's who've been affected by the curtailment of the cruise will be contacted by our After Travel Customer Support Team within 28 days to confirm their refund.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks for your update Davecttr.

"

"

It's good to know that the lifeboat cables are being tested. I'm sure a lot of people will be relieved to hear that. Wonder why Thomson can't share the news that this is being done to reassure future pax?

Archived