Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

There have been several cruise ship fires over the past ten years or so but it seems to me that Carnival has had more then their share. (And they also own Costa ??)[/quote]

Yes - unfortunately you can add Concordia to the list.

Why?

Concordia is operated by Costa Cruises. Might as well blame all the shareholders for the fire.

A dispassionate review of cruise ship fires over the last 10 years will show that most cruise lines have experienced fires aboard ships. Some fires, like those experienced by NCL have had very serious consequences. Most fires are more like those experienced aboard Allure last year and caused minimal inconvenience. The Triumph and Splendor fires while not terribly serious in terms of damage or injury did result in many days of press coverage owning to the loss of propulsion and resultant discomfort of passengers.

I read that Carnival is chartering planes to fly from Progreso to Houston (not sure which airport). I wonder if passengers without passports, but just their birth certificates and driver's license, can fly home on a charter? This is one reason most of us say cruise passengers should have passports.

I bet they can.

Secondary note - from a legal standpoint.

IF (and it is a big IF) it is determined that the cause of this incident is functionally similar to the Splendor fire and (Another big) IF it is shown Carnival was aware of a defect contributing to it, Carnival can be in a big pile of legal jeopardy by failing to resolve a known hazard. The same could be true if the propulsion issues are related to this issue (not a given) and that this outcome was foreseeable (hard bar to hit).

IF (yet another big IF) this was a new problem that could not be foreseen or the result of an undiagnosed systemic fault, Carnival may be in better shape.

The basic legal issues in play are 'Could this incident have been reasonably foreseen, and/or did Carnival policies or cost reduction programs promote the occurrance of the incident'.

We won't know any of this for a long time, perhaps years (I haven't looked hard, but I have yet to see a final defined cause on the Splendor fire). The legal issues will be complex, made more so by multiple jurisdictions and the onerous terms of the cruise contract.

Well thought out post. We may in fact never know the root cause of the engine fire, and it may not be in CCL's interest to disclose the results of their investigation into the matter.

If there are no injuries - please heaven may there be none - then my prediction is that CCL gets all the pax home, their offer of compensation makes most pax happy, a few more get additional money behind the scenes, and nobody ever knows what really happened.

I can tell you that wouldn't fly with me. There's no reason that people with outside cabins couldn't go to their cabin last night if they had a flashlight with them (many people pack those, it's pretty common sense. Keeping people hostage on the top deck overnight when there is no good reason for it is a terrible violation of basic human rights. They should have allowed people to go to their cabins where they'd have some privacy, comfort, and far more hygienic facilities.

Let's say passengers took flashlights with them on the trip. How many of them would have had them with them while waiting on deck?

Since we are all speculating, I will speculate there would be valid safety concerns for not allowing passengers to go back to their cabins, including the lack of lighting and power.

As one of the original posters on this thread, I thought it was going to be a place where people with family members on board would be able to update each other. Wow, I was completely wrong.

This thread is so out of control it's unbelievable. The fact that some people believe that people who have received texts from family members aboard are lying is insane! Why, would we lie? We have no reason, we were just trying to keep each other updated.

I've read stuff about the auto industry, the Titanic, passports, speculation, compensation, medications, drinking kool-aid, camping, job security, discounts, tents, the blizzard in the north, post saying they wish they were on the ship because then they would just get another free cruise, and many more totally unrelated remarks! It's basically become a thread for just trash talking each other!

I mean for heaven's sake there was even a CNN reporter on the thread spying at one time who contacted me and wanted to do a live interview with Solidad O'brien this morning, which I refused!

I guess the point of this is to say that this thread is absolutely useless and to be honest has disgusted me! If this thread is a good sample of the kind of people who are on Cruise Critics, then I really have no reason to ever come back here!

P.S...Go ahead, let the flaming begin! It's what you guys do right?

You're absolutely right. Trying to read this while a bunch of people are throwing distractions from the real story is making this site a real joke, allowing that gargabge to stay.

One can make a call anytime they wish on their cell phone some may have roaming charges though.

Cell phone tower on ship is also out due to the lack of power.

For the people that say they talked to their family, how did they make a cell phone call, if the power was out? wouldn't the Carnival cell phone signal also be out?

They made their calls when the Elation was close by and they made contact with the Elation's cell phone tower.

Trying to get caught up on all this, we really dodged a bullet last week! We got on after the propulsion issue and before this, and made all our ports on time. Poor Triumph, I hope they get her fixed up soon and everyone makes it home safely.

I was thinking that as well. The people that were complaining about going slow have NOTHING to complain about now.

The coverage CNN is giving this incident is disgusting and grossly misleading. I do wonder if Carnival is not making press statements or if CNN is simply ignoring them in favor of making the story more "interesting".

That's what News organizations do. And I IMPLORE NO ONE contact this NBC person. That org has become a JOKE.

I wonder if you could sleep in your cabin. An inside room might be uncomfortable but if you had a balcony and could leave the door open it wouldnt be that bad especially this time of year. Honestly the worst part would be if you had a baby and ran out of formula and diapers!

no the worst of it would have been having to go to the bathroom in bags and buckets for 24 hours while being forced to sleep on the op decks packed in like sardines

I can tell you that wouldn't fly with me. There's no reason that people with outside cabins couldn't go to their cabin last night if they had a flashlight with them (many people pack those, it's pretty common sense. Keeping people hostage on the top deck overnight when there is no good reason for it is a terrible violation of basic human rights. They should have allowed people to go to their cabins where they'd have some privacy, comfort, and far more hygienic facilities.

Do you know where the ship was ? Do you know if there were any reefs nearby ? How fast was the ship drifting and to where. The Captain certainly would know and may have had good reason to keep the passengers up top.

I was thinking that as well. The people that were complaining about going slow have NOTHING to complain about now.

Except maybe to say, I warned there was issues on this ship. :(

In this thread a CC member warned "Stay off the Triumph" three days before this happened.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1784167

Let's say passengers took flashlights with them on the trip. How many of them would have had them with them while waiting on deck?

Since we are all speculating, I will speculate there would be valid safety concerns for not allowing passengers to go back to their cabins, including the lack of lighting and power.

The emergency lighting would have been on in the hallways so passengers could get to their cabins where they would be able to use the flashlights. Also a cell phone works quite well in a pinch.

I work for NBC News' TODAY show and am currently looking to speak with people on the Triumph. Also looking for anyone with family members and/or friends aboard the ship. Please reach out if you have any information.

Lauren.Selsky@nbcuni.com

305-379-6920

Does the the song, "Dirty Laudry" ring a bell to anyone?

That's what News organizations do. And I IMPLORE NO ONE contact this NBC person. That org has become a JOKE.

CC needs to input a like button.

Houston news station said Carnival is arranging for charter flights.

With 3000+ passengers on board, this will require 15-20 flights. Probably use a few planes making round trips. If that is the case, some will have another half day of waiting in Mexico for flights.

I doubt the regional airport can handle that many passengers at once. Maybe Pasengers will first be taken to another place until close to flight time.

You're absolutely right. Trying to read this while a bunch of people are throwing distractions from the real story is making this site a real joke, allowing that gargabge to stay.

This is an open forum isn't it ? No restrictions (within reason) about what people can (or will ) post ?

Just skip over the posts you don't like and don't let little things get your shorts in a knot.

Did I misunderstand that today Liberty is beside the ship now with supplies? There's too many posts here to retrack.

"Another Carnival ship, the Carnival Elation, is currently on scene and transferring additional food and beverage provisions to the Carnival Triumph," the statement said.

Somewhere I saw another was heading.

Edit: Liberty.

Do you know where the ship was ? Do you know if there were any reefs nearby ? How fast was the ship drifting and to where. The Captain certainly would know and may have had good reason to keep the passengers up top.

If they were worried they would have had passengers bring their life vests with them when they told them all to report to the upper decks.

The emergency lighting would have been on in the hallways so passengers could get to their cabins where they would be able to use the flashlights. Also a cell phone works quite well in a pinch.

There was still no power or lights on the cabins. Not everyone would have a cell phone or a flashlight. I think I will go with the Captain and Crew on this one.

You're kidding right? So having your own flash light makes it ok to navigate the hallways of a blacked out ship? Is that looking out for the safety of everyone on board? There are so many reasons that would be a bad idea I won't even get started. I'm pretty sure Carnival's top priority is keeping everyone safe. Letting them wander a dark ship is not the way to do that.

"Terrible violation of basic human rights." You make it sound like they were held hostage and tortured for crying out loud.

Just relax.

Archived