Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

A free cruise now and a free cruise later for a little inconvenience. ;)

Carnival is more than generous and typically goes far above and beyond anything required by the cruise contract. :)

You cruise frequently so I would suppose you have decent disposable income, or else easy access to ports. For some people the ability to get vacation time is rare, and the cost to get to ports is very high.

I agree Carnival is doing more than required by contract- but that doesn't mean it makes up for the inconvenience, many people will not be able to use that 'free cruise later'.

And while some people do well in these situations, others will have psychological trauma that can be long lasting. A free cruise doesn't help that (if they could even allow themselves to get back on board.)

I'm glad everyone is safe, and will get back home safely- but pretending this is a rosey situation where people are lucky to get two free cruises is just absurd.

Why does the Global Post article show the Queen Mary 2? I read basically the same article in the Daily Mail.

I'm sure this experience isn't fun for the people on board, but the article makes it sound as if not being able to charge your cell phone is the end of the world. And "bunch of savages"? Talk about sensationalism.

Maybe you missed where I said "those who had traveled with a flashlight."

So the announcement would go like this:

"All passengers who have a flashlight with them right now are free to return to your cabin. The rest of you will have to stay on deck while we deny you your basic human rights."

Please!! You have no idea as to why they were asked to remain on deck. You have done nothing but speculate this entire thread.

"...The husband of a distressed female passenger told CNN some people had turned into "savages" and were fighting over food.

"She said they had no power, no running water, and she said she hadn't been able to eat anything yet. Then you call the Carnival phone number for families, and they tell you that everything is all right," Brent Nutt said...

Nutt told CNN his wife was in tears as she spoke of the deteriorating conditions.

"They have no power, there's no way to charge cell phones or anything.

"To hear your loved one crying saying she just wants off of the ship and it all to end....

He said members of her group were in tears.

"People are fighting over food and stuff - that's a bunch of savages. It's ridiculous."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/130211/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-stranded-gulf-mexico

yes..., a minor inconvenience considering you can get 2 free cruises on this line!

Do you still feel the same now? If so, I'm sorry, but you're crazy, lol!

The situation just sounds miserable. :(

Here comes the media freight train....woooo, woooo, chugga, chugga, woooo wooo.

"...The husband of a distressed female passenger told CNN some people had turned into "savages" and were fighting over food.

"She said they had no power, no running water, and she said she hadn't been able to eat anything yet. Then you call the Carnival phone number for families, and they tell you that everything is all right," Brent Nutt said...

Nutt told CNN his wife was in tears as she spoke of the deteriorating conditions.

"They have no power, there's no way to charge cell phones or anything.

"To hear your loved one crying saying she just wants off of the ship and it all to end....

He said members of her group were in tears.

"People are fighting over food and stuff - that's a bunch of savages. It's ridiculous."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/130211/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-stranded-gulf-mexico

yes..., a minor inconvenience considering you can get 2 free cruises on this line!

Do you still feel the same now? If so, I'm sorry, but you're crazy, lol!

Ok, they are 150 miles from land am I correct?

They are waiting for a tugboat, correct?

Now...let's digest my next question very carefully before anyone chews it up and spits it up...because there may just be some validity to it and I know the fine folks here at CC will let me know if that is so...

Why don't they just manually lower the lifeboats and go to shore?

Why not just leave enough crew onboard to wait for the tug and offload the pax to the lifeboats?

The lifeboats are motorized so who long would it take to reach shore?

If begun at 6am, it would still be light when they reach shore I would think.

I doubt anyone is sleeping anyway and the kids are probably desperate by now and I would think putting pax in a lifeboat would shut up most of the big mouths.

The pax of course could also voluntarily stay behind with crew and then take a slow tugboat ride into port on a smelly ship.

Ok, experts out there, go to town!:D

http://www.uscg.mil/international/affairs/publications/mmscode/english/chap3.htm

Actually it seems that as long as the Triumph is in international waters, the USCG has no authority to board without permission of the Captain or the country that the ship is flagged under.

If you read the USCG section in your link, that is not what it says :confused:

Now...let's digest my next question very carefully before anyone chews it up and spits it up...because there may just be some validity to it and I know the fine folks here at CC will let me know if that is so...

Why not just leave enough crew onboard to wait for the tug and offload the pax to the lifeboats?

I doubt anyone is sleeping anyway and the kids are probably desperate by now and I would think putting pax in a lifeboat would shut up most of the big mouths.

The pax of course could also voluntarily stay behind with crew and then take a slow tugboat ride into port on a smelly ship.

putting people in lifeboats makes people panic/worry more then just staying in one place. Also, by allowing everyone stay onboard it allows carnival extra time to set up transportation in port

Since no one (except the dialysis patient) is in life-endangering condition, I think staying with the ship is a much safer option. 150 miles isn't exactly a short distance, and the life boats do not have near the supplies as the ship has- what if something were to happen to one of them? (Not to mention, if you think everyone on deck is crowded, lifeboats at capacity are surely miserable.)

I don't know what kind of lifeboats they have, but wikipedia says a 36 ft lifeboat can travel 17 km/h, that would be a 14 hour trip.

http://www.globalpost.com

oh my heck, this is a friggin blog. and people are posting it like its legit. get real.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8987676

Similar info is on ABC. They're not just a blog.

"We did the 4-night because I've never cruised before," said passenger Debra Gillis from Dallas.

But a fire in the engine room of the Carnival Triumph yesterday morning knocked out power to the ship, according to the Carinval cruise line, and it's now adrift in the Gulf.

Bethany Nutt and a bunch of girlfriends are on that ship. Her husband told us on the phone last night he had no idea there was a problem for seven hours after the fire.

"Carnival called me to tell me that there was a problem," he said. "There was a fire in the engine room and that the fire was contained and everything was all OK."

The ship has no cell phone service and Bethany couldn't call until another Carnival Ship, the Elation, pulled up alongside the Triumph.

Brent Nutt didn't like what she had to say.

"She was crying and stuff and said that they had no power. They have no running water. They have no way to use the bathroom," he told us.

Carnival says they've been working on restoring the plumbing and that many toilets are now back online in certain sections of the ship. The cruise line also says that power has been restored to some of the elevators on board and there's some power in the Lido dining area, so they're able to provide hot coffee and hot food.

On Sunday, the Carnival Elation rendezvoused with the Triumph to supply dinner for the guests. This afternoon, the Carnival Legend will also be on site to do the same.

Carnival says late Wednesday, the Triumph will be towed to Progreso, Mexico, and from there, the cruise line will arrange travel home for its passengers.

All of the passengers on board right now will get full refunds plus transportation expenses, but for Brent Nutt, who says he doesn't know when he'll talk to his wife next, it's not enough.

"If they would tell you the truth, it would not be so bad," he said.

The ship's next two voyages are cancelled. They were scheduled to depart Monday and Saturday. If you have a ticket, you should receive a full refund, reimbursement on travel expenses and a discount on a future cruise.

I think its a safety issue

OMG, that makes sence. I wonder why they don't.

Because Carnival owns Costa - which was the question I was answering. The validity of adding it to the list is because it supported the poster's comment that Carnival seems to have more than its share of incidents.

So the resulting discomfort of passengers isn't a valid measure for press reporting in terms of the impact of fires and other incidents at sea - only injury and loss of life? Sorry but I dissagree. IMO, passenger comfort and treatment in a situation like this is paramount and valid for reporting.

I'm not picking on Carnival over any other line and my response that you are quoting was only to answer the poster's comments as indicated.

Not sure what happened but you ended up with a quote attributed to leaveitallbehind that was actually mine.

Costa Cruises is a separate company from Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival Cruise Lines and their operations are completely separate from Costa's. Attributing the Costa incident to Carnival Cruise Lines would be like saying Celebrity Cruises is responsible for the fire aboard Allure.

I was not suggesting that the press attention was not valid or warranted. What I was attempting to point out was that the two Carnival incidents received a great deal of media attention because of the prolonged nature of the situations. As a result they tend to stand out in our minds. Whereas the fire aboard Allure received almost no media attention and so many have already forgotten about it.

Ultimately what I was trying to point out was that the suggestion Carnival Cruise Lines is somehow more prone to accidents than other lines is not really borne out by the facts.

Yes, 150 miles from land but not necessarily 150 miles from a port which can accommodate / support 4,000 people.

The closest port with transportation capabilities to get all the passengers and crew to an airport is Progresso (autoprogresso). This is also the closest port to the city of Merida which is the closest airport to the Triumph right now which has runways long enough to accommodate large commercial airliners.

Putting people in small enclosed lifeboats is a last resort. Allow they won't sink, cruising in one for 150 miles in the ocean would probably make everyone sick!

This thread has grown 34 pages while I was at work. I understand the tugs are not even at the ship yet. Is that correct? It has to be getting worse on board that ship. People become hethens in these times. I know it is not pretty and must be extremely difficult to live on this ship now.

So the announcement would go like this:

"All passengers who have a flashlight with them right now are free to return to your cabin. The rest of you will have to stay on deck while we deny you your basic human rights."

Please!! You have no idea as to why they were asked to remain on deck. You have done nothing but speculate this entire thread.

And what were you just doing?

Really? 10 minutes on those stupid boats is all I can handle on those boats when used for tendering. And, that's usually in calm coastal waters. Try 10 hours in open sea. Not an option.

Since no one (except the dialysis patient) is in life-endangering condition, I think staying with the ship is a much safer option. 150 miles isn't exactly a short distance, and the life boats do not have near the supplies as the ship has- what if something were to happen to one of them? (Not to mention, if you think everyone on deck is crowded, lifeboats at capacity are surely miserable.)

I don't know what kind of lifeboats they have, but wikipedia says a 36 ft lifeboat can travel 17 km/h, that would be a 14 hour trip.

Evacuating to lifeboats is not the safest thing either. There are a lot of things that can get screwed up. If I recall, there was another cruise line that had five crew injured or killed in a lifeboat drill just last week. So you would only want to engage with this as an absolute last resort. Plus, no one gets to take their luggage. You also have a combination of boats and rafts. The rafts can't make a 150 mile journey. They aren't designed for it. If you think the food and bathroom facilities are rough on the ship, just wait until you are on the lifeboat.

Completely impractical. Unless there is a serious health reason, it makes zero sense to depart the ship by another method, no matter how bad the situation is on board. It's not fun on Triumph right now, but there aren't any really acceptable alternatives.

Archived