Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

A tender boat. You do know that the tender boats are not transported with the ship? They are in the ports. You would have to use lifeboats. They are not as easy to load since they are designed to be loaded from the lifeboat stations and not the tender dock. It's not safe and it's not practiced either. How many trips will it take to transfer 3000 people and one bag? Time to use the KISS method here. If it was going to take seven days to tug the ship to port, I would say it was worth a try. It is just not a safe option. That is why they won't do it unless they absolutely have to do it.

Many ports require ships to use their lifeboats as tenders. However, there are many problems here - even if they are boarded from a platform:

- it's very dangerous in the open sea (again without stabilization) Did anyone have a port call at Grand Cayman cancelled? Happens all the time because the tenders cannot be safely loaded.

- There would likely not be enough of them to transport passengers in any comfort whatsoever. Have you seen the capacity numbers on the lifeboats? Jamming 100+ passenger on one of those little boats is a consideration if the ship is sinking and it's a matter of survival - but not as a more comfortable alternative to being safely towed.

- Again - remember the strong currents. How many days would it take to get to land?

Personally, I think that they should have gotten Hollywood to airdrop magic flying jetpacks and everyone could've flown to shore.

I would imagine that chartering a plane for an international flight would cost 100 times (if not more) the cost of chartering buses to accommodate the same number of people.

Also just the distance between Galveston and Moblie makes the logisitics alot easier.

Five days of lost wages for my husband and I would be more than double the cost of the most expensive suite on that ship on a holiday sailing. Not only would nothing be left over, but we'd be in the hole.

Wouldn't travel insurance cover lost wages because of delays?

This entire thread is filled with some of the most ridiculous things I have ever read!

Between the Coast Guard, passports, the Mexican Navy, Titanic, and someone who worth rather fall in the water than stay on the unsanitary ship!!! SMH

I bet they'd change their mind when a 6' wave hit them.

Personally, I think that they should have gotten Hollywood to airdrop magic flying jetpacks and everyone could've flown to shore.

You're being totally unrealistic. Suggesting something like that is ludicrous.

Hollywood wouldn't drop jetpacks. They'd beam everyone off the ship a la Star Trek. DUHHHHH. :cool:

Hearing the folks complain about no hot water, no hot food, and having to poop in a bag, have clearly never gone camping.

So you're outside in 70 degree weather and smell some sewage. Our troops in the Middle East would trade with you in a heartbeat. Now shutty and quit making Americans look bad.

So, now they are going to Mobile and get there maybe Thursday. They have gotten some supplies from another ship. Here's my questions. WHY is there human waste on the floors? And why can't these people be put on another vessel and moved out of there? Anybody know??

And yes they have cancelled the next 2 voyages. So far.

Helicopters can land on the ship, making transfer perfectly safe. .

Helicopters landing on a cruise ship is never perfectly safe, even when the ship has a helicopter pad. Landing on a ship which cannot control its own movements is even less safe.

With over 3100 passengers to evacuate, even if 8 at a time could be evacuated, around 400 landings and takeoffs would be required. And then the heicopter would fly them to where?

Land? If so, it would take more days to do this than it would take for the ship to be towed to land.

No, you are mistaking what is being said- the US state dept gives the closed loop cruise "loophole", however it is completely up to each line what identificatio and documents THEY will require. Carnival could easily require passports.

They could just as easily require everyone to have brown hair or be born in Illinois, but, they don't. Is isn't against the law to have blonde hair or be born in Georgia, so, they let everyone who legally qualifies sail.

Hearing the folks complain about no hot water, no hot food, and having to poop in a bag, have clearly never gone camping.

So you're outside in 70 degree weather and smell some sewage. Our troops in the Middle East would trade with you in a heartbeat. Now shutty and quit making Americans look bad.

Like I said, oh, about a thousand posts ago, there is no comparison between camping and what is happening on the Triumph.

When you are camping, you have access to hot food, the ability to go to the bathroom wherever you want (not in a bag) if toilets aren't available and possibly showers.

I've gone camping. Many, many times. I still would not want to be on that ship without hot water, hot food and I never ever want to poop in a bag and give it to another human being to dispose of. No thank you.

You mean they did the dangerous act of lowering a life boat, tieing it to the ships, and getting in and out over an over to move a few tons of supplies,

How daring, from the posts here on CC that is impossible or at least way to risky, they should not have even tried that. after all a ham could have fallen in the water and drown.

I don't think anyone has suggested that using lifeboats to transfer passengers is impossible. But it is difficult and fraught with risk.

Tenders in Grand Cayman are designed for tendering, hold 300 passengers, and transfer people in relatively calm inshore waters. Even so Grand Cayman is one of the most cancelled calls because sea conditions often do not permit safe tendering.

Lifeboats on Triumph hold 125 passengers and being significantly smaller than Grand Cayman tenders bob around even more. When all this started Triumph was in open sea where waters tend to be rougher.

Also consider the passengers. Most posters here may be relatively agile. My parents who love to cruise, have mobility challenges and transferring to a bobbing tender in the middle of the Gulf would be quite risky for them.

I expect that when all the benefits were added up and all the risks noted the captain decided that it was simply too risky to attempt a passenger transfer. I don't choose to second guess the guy on scene who has direct knowledge of the conditions and an awful lot more experience than myself.

Supplies were successfully transfered to Triumph using lifeboats. I suspect that the amount of supplies to be transfered and the amount that actually got aboard Triumph differ. It's easy enough to ignore a dropped case of luncheon meat. Much harder to save someone from being crushed between a lifeboat and the side of a ship, as anyone who has fallen overboard even a small row boat can attest.

And after their "cruise" is over, these poor people get to be crammed into a metal tube with maybe 200-250 fellow cruisers, after no shower and deficating in bags for 4 days or so, and flown for probably at least a couple of hours to their local airports. Then these same poor people get to be picked up by some unfortunate driver for the final trip home.

This is one time I'd rather be stuck in my office rather than be out on the ocean.

I noted that several times the news reports made much of the fact that there was no hot water and people had to shower in "cold water". I suspect most of these people don't realize that water out of the cold tap on most ships in the Caribbean area produces relatively warm water. Not suggesting that people are not suffering and certainly a hot shower would be better.

And after their "cruise" is over, these poor people get to be crammed into a metal tube with maybe 200-250 fellow cruisers, after no shower and deficating in bags for 4 days or so, and flown for probably at least a couple of hours to their local airports. Then these same poor people get to be picked up by some unfortunate driver for the final trip home.

This is one time I'd rather be stuck in my office rather than be out on the ocean.

i seem to remember carnival providing hotel rooms, hot food, showers, and a change of clothing for those coming of the Splendor before sending them off to airports, etc. or am i mistaken?

i seem to remember carnival providing hotel rooms, hot food, showers, and a change of clothing for those coming of the Splendor before sending them off to airports, etc. or am i mistaken?

By the time this ship arrives in Mobile, there will be some setup for people to shower and change. Hotels, porta-showers, something.

You may be correct.....too many postings to go back over. If so, at least the "gross" is removed before the trip home.

This is pure speculation on my part. There are over 3000 passengers being made to do their business in bags. I would imagine there is a good number of people "going" elsewhere.

Add to that unflushed toilets and more pronounced ship motion.

I've gone camping. Many, many times. I still would not want to be on that ship without hot water, hot food and I never ever want to poop in a bag and give it to another human being to dispose of. No thank you.

Over the summers during my college years, I worked in a sewer plant. When you flush, it goes somewhere. I've been up close and too personal with raw sewage. It's not pleasant but it helped pay for my college entertainment.

I'd take human sewage over having to work in a large commerical chicken coop. Those places are so bad it'll make your eyes and nose burn.

How about we not forget that when you go camping ... you've PLANNED to go camping. You know what you are in for.

This is NOT what these people planned on. :rolleyes:

You are partly correct. Those who had flights the next day or two were provided with lodging here in San Diego. They did not require clothing as their luggage was delivered to them on the pier.

Archived