Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I cruise with my twin toddlers and I can't even begin to imagine being stranded on a ship without extra diapers, warm milk, food,etc. These people planned for a four day cruise which has been extended beyond their control.

I know anything can happen anywhere at any given time but it must be extremely difficult for the elderly and for families with small children.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upper 40's is probably when you would start getting seriously worried.

Thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought. I just feel for these guys, food/smell/heat/bathroom issues are hard enough, but if the ship's a rockin', that would make me a little anxious. Let's hope the winds cooperate and help them quickly arrive.

I would be interested to know, from someone who really knows what s/he is talking about (Aquahound?), how much more difficult or lengthy it would have been to tow the Triumph to Galveston instead of Mobile? In other words, how much does the fact that Mobile has a shipyard that can repair the Triumph play into the decision to go there, even though that will be more inconvenient for (at least) the passengers who drove to the port?

I have my suspicions, of course, but it would be nice to hear from someone who actually knows a lot about currents, towing, etc.

I don't know about the currents, but I did read that the trip back to Galveston would be abut 100 miles further than the trip to Mobile.

I wonder if the configuration of the port itself was also a consideration. The channel leading from the Gulf down to the cruise terminals in Galveston has several sharp turns. I think it would be difficult to get a ship with no propulsion down the channel to the terminal, and equally difficult if not harder to get the ship out. I have never sailed from Mobile and I don't know what that port looks like, but I would think they want as much of a straight shot as possible.

Depth is a big issue that increases list... Concordia ran into shallower ground which increased the list (preventing lifeboats from launching on one side but making the distance to shore much shorter).

The Concordia had a massive leak which caused it to list towards the tear in it hull as water poured into it. Basically the ship became off balalnce as the starboard side became heavier as it filled with water. The only way to prevent a list in that case would be to counterflood. The fact that it was in shallow water did not increase the list. The fact that it went aground is the only thing that kept it from rolling completely over.

The list on this ship is due to wind loading. Reports has that they are experiencing 10-15 mile per hour winds which is enough to introduce a 4-5 degree list since they are not under power.

I feel sorry for them seeing that their vacation was ruined, but some people need to get a grip, things could be ALOT worse. I mean come on, the bars are free and flowing and they get a few extra days on their cruise, beats any day at work!:rolleyes:

This beats any day at work? :eek: Time to get a better job!

Funny how the coast guard said that was the easiest place to get too because of currents and wind direction. But I guess Carnival paid off the coast guard.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Looking at the current flow models over the next couple days, it would be best to go northeast towards Mobile. I fish marlin and tuna 120 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi River in the Green Canyon oilfield area and the current is pretty strong this far from land. It is best to use the current to your advantage and go with the flow. These tugs have lots of power, but this is a big ship, with a lot of drag. For the ship to drift 90 miles in a northern direction, matches what the tide-current flow models are showing.

Not standing up for Carnival, as I believe they let some mechanical issues not be addressed for the sake of getting the ship off with another load of passengers. There were reports of power issues on the cruise before this one. No passenger jet would have been allowed to take off again until fixed, but I guess passenger ships are exempt.

Well, to be fair and give you the benefit of the doubt, I reread my statement, but still do not see where I was disagreeing with anyone, just quoting the article and asking a legit question. Maybe it was those rolling eyes that got me. ;) Peace.

No problem...... These boards sometimes are tough to convey true thoughts and my post may have come off a little bit the wrong way

I was being sarcastic but without malice:o

I am curious and maybe someone can tell me....Why didn't they send another ship out there when it first happened to get those people off the ship???:confused:

Because they didn't have an empty ship with a crew just hanging around a port some place in case they might be needed.

I am curious and maybe someone can tell me....Why didn't they send another ship out there when it first happened to get those people off the ship???:confused:

It is dangerous to get in lifeboats and transfer ships... In open waters when one ship has no power, it is even more difficult and dangerous

Out of interest and because so many have wondered why Mobile instead of Galveston, I did up a quick map based on my reading https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=213696368617390101258.0004d5939e253a35dfa80&msa=0&ll=26.450902,-88.967285&spn=17.067219,18.391113 I'm sure it's not accurate but it does provide some idea of the geometry.

Why not just transfer them off the ship?

In an interview in today's LA Times, Greg Magee, Commander of the Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous which is on site stated that it's not a good option, carries a lot of risk, and would delay passengers from returning home.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-carnival-cruise-20130213,0,4041414.story

Here's a another article from today quoting a cruise critic contributor "NUTT" who's probably left this thread because he was relying on it for actual information and frustrated. His wife described water and feces on the floor, people vomiting, and the stench.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/12/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-fire-tow/1914231/

Another article from Reuters, passenger Ann Barlow recounting how the stench from backed up sewage is overwhelming.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/13/us-mexico-carnival-idUSBRE91B1J120130213

just curious, but I thought a ship this size couldn't dock in Mobile?? someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've sailed out of this terminal. It is more of a capacity issue than being able to tie it up. The terminal and parking situation is not set up to handle a ship embarking and disembarking more than 3000 passengers. For this situation, it should be able to handle the job since it is a disembark only. It will probably take a little longer because the customs area is not really big but it will work for this purpose.

I don't know about the currents, but I did read that the trip back to Galveston would be abut 100 miles further than the trip to Mobile.

I wonder if the configuration of the port itself was also a consideration. The channel leading from the Gulf down to the cruise terminals in Galveston has several sharp turns. I think it would be difficult to get a ship with no propulsion down the channel to the terminal, and equally difficult if not harder to get the ship out. I have never sailed from Mobile and I don't know what that port looks like, but I would think they want as much of a straight shot as possible.

The Mobile cruise terminal is a pretty straight shot and it is not very far from the Gulf. It was about 25-30 minutes from pier to Gulf on the one cruise I made out of it in 2011. It should be relatively simple to maneuver.

Out of interest and because so many have wondered why Mobile instead of Galveston, I did up a quick map based on my reading https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=213696368617390101258.0004d5939e253a35dfa80&msa=0&ll=26.450902,-88.967285&spn=17.067219,18.391113 I'm sure it's not accurate but it does provide some idea of the geometry.

Is it possible to redraw based on a start point equidistant between Progreso and Mobile? That's what was cited when the decision was made.

Why not just transfer them off the ship?

In an interview in today's LA Times, Greg Magee, Commander of the Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous which is on site stated that it's not a good option, carries a lot of risk, and would delay passengers from returning home.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-carnival-cruise-20130213,0,4041414.story

Here's a another article from today quoting a cruise critic contributor "NUTT" who's probably left this thread because he was relying on it for actual information and frustrated. His wife described water and feces on the floor, people vomiting, and the stench.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/12/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-fire-tow/1914231/

Another article from Reuters, passenger Ann Barlow recounting how the stench from backed up sewage is overwhelming.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/13/us-mexico-carnival-idUSBRE91B1J120130213

Thanks for the links. FYI, Brent Nutt is not a CC contributor, but has been quoted on several media outlets and in this thread.

Looking at the current flow models over the next couple days, it would be best to go northeast towards Mobile. I fish marlin and tuna 120 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi River in the Green Canyon oilfield area and the current is pretty strong this far from land. It is best to use the current to your advantage and go with the flow. These tugs have lots of power, but this is a big ship, with a lot of drag. For the ship to drift 90 miles in a northern direction, matches what the tide-current flow models are showing.

Not standing up for Carnival, as I believe they let some mechanical issues not be addressed for the sake of getting the ship off with another load of passengers. There were reports of power issues on the cruise before this one. No passenger jet would have been allowed to take off again until fixed, but I guess passenger ships are exempt.

Yep. Coast guard pretty much said the same. Yet some drama queens here continue to claim carnival is making passengers be on the ship even longer, just so they can take it to Mobile for repairs.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Archived