Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

This thread moves so fast and is now so long... did they transfer some pax off??? I only read of 2 medi-evacs...that's it.

They medi-evacced at least one person who needed dialysis.

Further, they can't just transfer passengers to another ship at sea at will. The US Coast Guard would have kittens if they did that while passengers are not in imminent danger. If even one person were killed it would be an epic disaster and far outweigh the discomfort (but in safety) that the passengers are currently enduring.

STATEMENT REGARDING

Here :

ADDITIONAL CARNIVAL TRIUMPH CANCELLATIONS

February 13, 2013

Carnival Cruise Lines has announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph following an engine room fire that has left vessel without propulsion. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

Guests on the affected sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities, and government fees and taxes. Guests will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three- to five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six- to seven-day cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Carnival sincerely apologizes for this disruption in our guests’ vacation plans.

Carnival Triumph operates four- and five-day cruises from Galveston, Texas.

###

Okay, CNN said after break they are going to have interview with mothers and that the ship will now not be back until tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone else hear this from any other source?:confused:

The director of the Alabama Cruise Terminal said she'd been given a timeframe of 1-4 Thursday.

Yes sorry triumph only!! Should have been a bit clearer on that front

Canceling to April 13 makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if they just do minor repairs in Mobile enough to get it so it can sail to Freeport for a much longer overhaul. Wasn't Triumph already scheduled for drydock later this year? If so, I would expect all of that work plus the repairs will occur during the two months time out of service.

Not to mention what has become a long list of Carnival line/other Carnival Inc. lines and vessels with repeated major fires, mechancial failures,a sinking. investigations on thier operations policies, manitence and operation proceedgers.

A list/mountian well above the other lines, even after taking into consideration vessel counts.

AKK

I partially agree. That said, it is apparent that Carnival Corp. has got some serious maintenance and safety issues. It seems that they are doing all that they can to return the passengers home safely in the aftermath, but something is lacking that allowed this to happen in the first place.

What's Carnival's reasoning behind not refunding gift shop purchases??

The gift shop may be a concession operated by an independent contractor. Even if it isn't, passengers who bought stuff should still have the items or have ingested/used them so there is no loss involved.

I partially agree. That said, it is apparent that Carnival Corp. has got some serious maintenance and safety issues. It seems that they are doing all that they can to return the passengers home safely in the aftermath, but something is lacking that allowed this to happen in the first place.

Good Point! However it should be noted, it also in thier future ownbest interest to do everything they can to keep up thier image. After the poor treatment of the Concordia passingers, they can't take to many more black eyes.

.....AKK

Geeze CCL is damn busy!!!

Between Splendor, Triumph Propulsion x10, Triumph Fire, Cancellations of next 2 cruises, now cancellations of 12 more, I don't think I'll ever get that reply to the general inquiry I sent to Guest Services 2 weeks ago, lol! :p :D :p

They medi-evacced at least one person who needed dialysis.

Further, they can't just transfer passengers to another ship at sea at will. The US Coast Guard would have kittens if they did that while passengers are not in imminent danger. If even one person were killed it would be an epic disaster and far outweigh the discomfort (but in safety) that the passengers are currently enduring.

yes... i know this. and they evac'd 2 pax. my q was about an additional passenger or two -- i thought i saw a reference to someone else getting off and a discussion then ensuing as to why they weren't taking everyone off? it must have been a stragler post out of context. no biggie, but thx for the reply.

We know people step up to the plate during real natural disasters. I feel much more sympathy for those who completely lost their homes during Katrina and Sandy and had to live for weeks in their own flooded homes digging out their lost possessions without power, or worse, lost loved ones.

The Carnival Triumph is NOT like that. It's not a life or death situation, it's just very very very inconvenient and unpleasant. Those passengers who were seriously ill or in danger (AFAIK only the one passenger who required dialysis) was transferred off the ship.

Lifeboats work near shore and at sea. It's possible to transfer everyone off the ship in an emergency. It's too risky to do so as stated by the USCG commander when the ship can simply be towed to port where people can disembark safely.

Since these people are in no immediate danger they fall back to their normal behavior. I can see a majority of passengers behaving civilly and helping each other out. Sure there will be people complaining, children crying or restless, and those who are making the best of the situation. But there are always a small percentage of passengers on any ship on any cruiseline who have a sense of entitlement and find pleasure in making the crew and other passengers feel miserable. You know the ones ...they challenge every charge on the bill and want their daily service charge refunded, complaining while in line making everyone around them miserable at guest services while they leave secretly smirking at each other proudly. I'm sure these unpleasant creatures are in the minority and the ones seen hoarding a few extra sandwiches and cutting lines. These are the people who are going to run to reporters and complain about every single inconvenience as soon as they leave the ship.

I do feel bad for people who's livelihoods are in jeopardy, had their vacation of a lifetime ruined, or are in sever discomfort such as the children and elderly. I'm not talking about them!

During the first couple of days, power went out and so did toilets. While Carnival focused on passenger safety as their top priority, I'm sure people continued to use toilets only to find they were not flushing. By the time the poop bags were being handed out, it was too late. A couple of days later and the smell is everywhere and sewage is leaking.

Without power, people were fed sandwiches made first with perishable items, but without power and refrigeration, perishable food goes bad fast in the hot Caribbean. So eventually they relied on peanut butter and cheese sandwiches and the like. Power was eventually restored and they did serve a hot buffet which was probably some thing like hot cereals and things made from nonperishable items. Public toilets returned to service and of course there were long lines as people wanted relief from poop bags and a stinky cabin.

And now the passengers are being towed into Mobile with a story of a lifetime, while the select few scramble for their 15 minutes of fame ... and their lawyers.

And they lived happily ever after... The End...sort of :rolleyes:

Very, very well said...

just curious where people think that anyone is getting accurate information about existing conditions. the limited amount of power available for communication equipment is not about to be spent with someone keeping someone updated on living conditions or passenger comfort. there is a CG ship to monitor the situation in case of a more drastic problem, ie sinking. i am sure the captain and crew is busy communicating with the tugs and the coast guard while making arrangements with the port of entry. carnival is busy making sure 3000 pax plus crew will be assisted once the boat debarks. they need to line up dock workers, baggage handlers, customs, lodging, land transportation, air transportation. they need to make sure that people onshore are familiar with how people are to get home and direct passengers to the right areas.

i just don't understand the entitlement of families on shore that feel they need to know everything that is going on on the ship. you would think they are the ones involved in this event and that they are the ones having to experience the unthinkable. so, what if people have a few restless nights worrying about their loved ones, doesn't make them the victim. yes its hard to be the one left at home, but they know the ship is being towed and that their loved ones are safe and that they will be home by tomorrow. now what else do they HAVE TO KNOW.

"now what else do they HAVE TO KNOW" answer is EVERYTHING

Hindsite is always 20/20... and I think it's great that there are so many monday morning quarterbacks...

It costs money to pull ships from service when they aren't scheduled for routine dry docks... It's lost revenue and such.. It sucks.. and stinks, both literally and figureatvley... but it happens..

Good Point! However it should be noted' date=' it also in thier future ownbest interest to do everything they can to keep up thier image. After the poor treatment of the Concordia passingers, they can't take to many more black eyes.

.....AKK[/quote']

Stock is down over 3% and on a downward trend. I don't expect to see that change any time soon.

What's Carnival's reasoning behind not refunding gift shop purchases??
If they refund gift shop purchases ......the passengers should give the stuff back ....do you think someone should get a free diamond bracelet or diamond ring.....because they purchased it on board.

Should they refund shore purchases also.....:rolleyes:

NO ONE wanted this to happen to the passengers of the TRIUMPH. There are approximately 3200 people STUCK and you can bet that every possible solution has been considered. I think all the critics should just give them a chance to get the ship back to land and just listen to why CARNIVAL did what they did.

Heaven forbid any of you ever take another CARNIVAL CRUISE!

Heaven forbid people be critical of Carnival, I mean- thats like sacreligious baby!!

(Yes that's a wee bit o sarcasm) :rolleyes:;)

Hindsite is always 20/20... and I think it's great that there are so many monday morning quarterbacks...

It costs money to pull ships from service when they aren't scheduled for routine dry docks... It's lost revenue and such.. It sucks.. and stinks, both literally and figureatvley... but it happens..

Of course it costs money to pull a ship from service. That said, the last several incidents of engine room fires have all been on Carnival Corp. ships. That tells us that something is clearly wrong with their procedures and decision-making.

If they refund gift shop purchases ......the passengers should give the stuff back ....do you think someone should get a free diamond bracelet or diamond ring.....because they purchased it on board.

Should they refund shore purchases also.....:rolleyes:

In my opinion gift shop purchases and shore excursions taken shouldn't be refunded. Any shore excursions paid for but not taken should be refunded--that includes non-refundable tours with private operators that were missed.

Well since the Triumph was having problems weeks before this cruise yet they kept cruising it, I think they had there chance to fix it before it got to this. Keep your pom pomms cheering.

So you know the fire was related to the propulsion issues they had last month? The Allure of the Seas ( RCI ship) had an engine room fire last year, and it was practically a brand new ship, I do believe it kept sailing as well. Calling out cheerleaders huh, I suppose you are the sort that would go to a Bears game in Chicago and complain that the fans there are cheering for the Bears. So why do you hang out in Carnival forum?

Just joined the forum, been trying to get some revelant info about the situation. My son is a staff member aboard the Triumph, this is the fourth ship he has been assinged to, many would say he has one of the very best jobs on the ship. I believe the fire is directly related to the earlier problems experienced in the engine room, probably electrical. The ship should not have been put out to sea, after the Jan. 28 cruise the ship's officers did not think it a wise to travel in that the ship could not go around a storm if necessary, this was the cruise with the unusal overnight in Progresso, but corporate thought otherwise. It seems that this ship has been limping along ever since.

Some of us here are wondering the same thing. Triumph's mechanical problems have been brought up here since December.

No one knows for sure. Maybe the investigation will shed some light.

You may want to check out this thread "Stay Off the Triumph" posted a few days before the fire.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1784167

Archived