Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I am watching CNN and each person interviewed are praising the crew. The head boys had better count their blessings.

I actually expected nothing less.

No one bad thing said about the crew. Lots of venom toward The pee in charge and Miami.

Believe it or not, I have actually read that whole thing. I have a habit of reading everything I am getting in to. This is usually that Cruise Ticket Contract link that no one ever clicks on. It is incredibly detailed in what it lays out. Someone could try to make a case from this but there is going to have to be some kind of definable injury and then also prove willful neglect. Might be possible. But, those contracts really do tie a passengers hand. Pretty similar contracts among all of the lines.

If the Coast Guard and NTSB find negligence on the part of CCL, it doesn't matter what that contract says. No one knows how their investigation will end up. I imagine the crew have been ordered to do everything they can in the engine room to prevent a finding of negligence. Just like the passengers are now saying there is a "miraculous" effort to clean the ship now that officials will be boarding soon.

I've been watching the coverage on CNN today...they are crucifying Carnival! I've been listening to actual passenger reporting and CNN consistently takes one or two words from these folks and twist the story to make it more sensational. I understand the media's need to do this in order to justify devoting all day to this story but, really. We already know it's not an ideal situation but CNN needs to tell the complete truth. I'm booked on the Pride for August and have asked myself do I really want to give Carnival any more of my money especially because this same problem occurred about two years ago on the Splendor. Like some of you, I'm inclined to believe the mechanical maintenance is suffering and that's not good for any cruiseline. I've had two great cruises on the Pride and looking forward to my last. CNN, there are other news stories out there...find something to talk about today...the Triumph currently just, 'is what it is' and hopefully, everyone will be ok once they disembark and have some time to de-stress. I just feel the reporting on CNN is way over the top and Carnival really needs to get out there and make their own statements regularly to balance out some of this stuff that we hearing.

Still really bothering me that people are describing conditions are "deplorable" and "unbearable". Please people, these folks are on a cruise boat that is probably cleaner than most folks homes. Cold sandwiches and a few days without a shower do not constitute deplorable conditions. Go to Africa and watch a young child drink fecal infested water and sleeping on a dirt floor day in and day out. Now that is deplorable. To the OP that stated his wife was on board and hurt her back. I'm sorry that she got hurt, but if she slipped and fell on the ship and there were no other problems it would be a non issue. People slip and fall all the time on a cruise boat. The decks get wet when it rains or when they are cleaned. Sick of the media blowing this out of proportion....

If the Coast Guard and NTSB find negligence on the part of CCL, it doesn't matter what that contract says. No one knows how their investigation will end up. I imagine the crew have been ordered to do everything they can in the engine room to prevent a finding of negligence. Just like the passengers are now saying there is a "miraculous" effort to clean the ship now that officials will be boarding soon.

That's true if that is what the investigation finds. That is why I mention negligence. Negligence has to be proven. It is easy to find errors or mistakes but taking it to the level of negligence is not always the easiest thing in court. I'm not saying there won't be suits. I'm sure there are going to be some individual cases where negligence can be proven for some things. I doubt you will see a successful class-action or large cases lacking a finding of actual negligence and not just error. You're right about Carnival wanting to make sure its track are covered. I'm not saying it is impossible to win but it is not going to be easy to prove if the investigation does not state actual negligence.

Just like the passengers are now saying there is a "miraculous" effort to clean the ship now that officials will be boarding soon.

Didnt they just get a generator yesterday to help restore electricity. SO that would explain being able to use vacuum cleaners now.

Just got of the phone with my wife who is onboard. She tells me she injured her back when she slipped on a wet deck/floor and is in pain. Now if that was not bad enough, she watched another woman passenger who was more seriously injured, refused treatment by the staff because she would not sign paperwork they wanter her to sign which would require her to pay for services. Now for you "cheerleader" types or the ones who think this is unrelialble information....You can take this to the Bank Bub! My wife and I have no reason whatsoever to fabricate or lie about any of this.

wow, a wet deck, couldn't have possibly have happend on any other ship, I'm certain! Have you phoned your lawyer yet? :rolleyes:

Just wondering if lawyers will out number relatives at the pier.lol

Well there is one positive thing..... it could have been worse.

Now there will be a new reality show .... survivor at sea.lol

As the song goes "look on the bright side of life"

Still really bothering me that people are describing conditions are "deplorable" and "unbearable". Please people, these folks are on a cruise boat that is probably cleaner than most folks homes. Cold sandwiches and a few days without a shower do not constitute deplorable conditions. Go to Africa and watch a young child drink fecal infested water and sleeping on a dirt floor day in and day out. Now that is deplorable. To the OP that stated his wife was on board and hurt her back. I'm sorry that she got hurt, but if she slipped and fell on the ship and there were no other problems it would be a non issue. People slip and fall all the time on a cruise boat. The decks get wet when it rains or when they are cleaned. Sick of the media blowing this out of proportion....

Give me a break. What I'm sick of is people making light of this situation. Heartless. Look in the mirror sister.

CNN doing an amazing job reporting

Great first hand accounts, live video (sewage running down the walls), pics

Carnival press conference on now

Not getting in til betyween 10pm and 12:30am

Only 1 functioning elevator

Will take 4 to 5 hours to get all passengers off the ship

Guests have to carry their own luggage off ship

Special needs / children first off the ship

One additional guest with significant medical issue debarked today

The Coast Guard delivered ONE generator to the ship to help in addition to the one emergency generator on board.

Power has to go first to life/safety, critical systems, and then they would try to run a refrigerator or two... would need a looooong extension cord to run a vacuum cleaner very far! I think I saw that they managed to get a little power out for passengers to charge phones.

from twitter:

Carnival Cruise Line ‏@CarnivalCruise

The debark process will be challenging given the limited # of elevators & power. The disembarkation process could take as long as 4-5 hrs

no sound at work so i cant listen the new press conference they have now :(

I guess you missed the video of the raw sewage running down the walls

wow, a wet deck, couldn't have possibly have happend on any other ship, I'm certain! Have you phoned your lawyer yet? :rolleyes:

Unbelievable the comments being made. People have slipped and are hurt, they have lived several days in horrible conditions and yet there are still people making negative comments about passengers. Again, unbelievable!

Gosh you must have a poor opinion people's ability to describe the conditions they are living in while also thinking that people live in cluttered squalor.

When did compassion for people who have done nothing wrong become so scarce?

Is this what we're down to in the cruise industry . . . . stop complaining unless you have to "drink fecal infested water and sleep on a dirt floor day in and day out."

Archived