Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I am suprised no one is talking about the crew below the waterline, working their tails off with no ventilation, no access to sleep on deck. Thats the suffering, not the passengers.

Also think of the hit to the economy of Galveston, a city that got hit worse than NY and Sandy just a few years ago, almost being wiped off the map. Those restaurants, hotels, and the city with sales tax is loosing big dollars not have a ship for several months docking regularly. Just think about say the egg vendor in Galveston that supplies the ship twice a week. Lots of dollars for the city lost.

I wonder if those who have suites have any benefits now? I wonder if those who are getting NORO or other complications from the conditions on board are feeling OK with the decisions that have been made.:mad:

Let's see-- they have at least one tug there......I'm betting they could have enlisted more tugs and stabilized the ship for an evacuation and used a couple tugs to transport people to the 'other' ship or ships. NO they don't use the tenders! What's wrong with that plan? My guess is $$$$ How about a reaction to the stuff that happened here rather than just waiting until they 'get' to Mobile or wherever they land. That shows an appalling lack of corporate leadership in an opportunity to lead. I can see the Carnival Emergency handbook. In case of emergency......drift, float, or get pushed into the harbor that leadership wants you to land in. So reassuring................:eek:

Stolen from someone else:

Tendering from a boat without lights belowdecks and any form of thruster control or stabilization is EXTREMELY risky and is done only when there is no other option. If you have ever tendered to a port in even moderate wind conditions, you have some idea of what's involved. Now imagine doing this with 3000 people over about 60-70 trips. Probably more, because people will insist on taking some basic clothing, etc. Imagine the risk to the crew that has to perform these operations as well.

A gangway is not an option because you cannot stabilize the disabled ship.

The people on board are not in life threatening conditions. Miserable yes, but you don't risk lives because of miserable conditions.

The right thing to do (and what they are doing) is Shelter in Place. See to immediate needs of safety and minimal sustenance. An analogy would be the blizzard in New England. If the power goes out in your house, you don't go out in the blizzard to go to another house unless your life is at risk. The hazards of moving, outweigh the risks of staying.

I know how it works, I'm just asking you to show me where you seen that as fact. Right now you are just assuming. Looks like Someone else posted other reasons as to their drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly you don't and simply are trying to stir something up

As another poster noted "What he stated is normal investor behaviour. "

Are there no hotel rooms in Mobile? :rolleyes: C'mon Carnival...seriously.

New Orleans has a whole lot more hotel rooms than Mobile. Plus, the airport in New Orleans is better setup to handle a couple of thousand passengers. Mobile is not really setup to handle that passenger load. It's daily schedule is almost all 50 seat planes with one daily 142 passenger plane.

I'm not sure how related this is, but on Saturday in Cozumel, an ambulance did take someone off the Triumph.

Maybe that was the guy with the broken leg. Okay. Thx

Are there no hotel rooms in Mobile? :rolleyes: C'mon Carnival...seriously.

I was thinking the same thing! what's up w that???????:confused::confused::confused:

I'm surprised one of the news organizations hasn't chartered an aircraft to do a flyby and get some up to date pictures of the ship.

When they get closer the news heli's will be out and about. I am guessing that they only have 200-300 mile range when you add the extra weight for all the equipment. At this point, with my guess, they would be pushing it and only be able to get there and back at best.

CC news update:

Update, 2:53 p.m. EST: Carnival has dispatched a third tugboat to assist in towing Carnival triumph to Mobile. The tug is enroute and is expected to arrive at the ship this evening.

Upon their arrival in Mobile, Triumph passengers will be bused to New Orleans where 1,500 hotel rooms have been reserved. Those passengers that choose to spend the night will be flown to Houston on private charters on Friday.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5198

I wonder if those who have suites have any benefits now? I wonder if those who are getting NORO or other complications from the conditions on board are feeling OK with the decisions that have been made.:mad:

Let's see-- they have at least one tug there......I'm betting they could have enlisted more tugs and stabilized the ship for an evacuation and used a couple tugs to transport people to the 'other' ship or ships. NO they don't use the tenders! What's wrong with that plan? My guess is $$$$ How about a reaction to the stuff that happened here rather than just waiting until they 'get' to Mobile or wherever they land. That shows an appalling lack of corporate leadership in an opportunity to lead. I can see the Carnival Emergency handbook. In case of emergency......drift, float, or get pushed into the harbor that leadership wants you to land in. So reassuring................:eek:

The only way they'd get Norovirus is if someone had it when they got on the ship at departure, or picked it up in Cozumel.

New Orleans has a whole lot more hotel rooms than Mobile. Plus, the airport in New Orleans is better setup to handle a couple of thousand passengers. Mobile is not really setup to handle that passenger load. It's daily schedule is almost all 50 seat planes with one daily 142 passenger plane.

Chartered flights to HOU by Carnival

Based on current live data from the tug, they may be waiting off shore for morning. They are currently not moving.

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Resolve-Pioneer-7528843.html

Would think based on the cell phone map with oil rig coverage they also should be in a service area. So we should start hearing from people.

Even if it could make it this afternoon, with the current bad weather in Mobile, I'm not sure they would risk a channel entry with a disabled ship under tow.

Really ..... NOBODY does.

You do realize there are people who make a living trading the market

People who are good at investing know these things. It is why I sold CCL short yesterday. I covered most of my short with nearly a $2 a share profit and left a small amount riding

I spent 3 years 11 months and 23 days on a sister ship the Vigorous.....I'd hang with the Triumph..... just saying

Going to a softball game in the rain....go Escambia Gators...See ya computer cruisers later!!

billd

I'm with ducklite -- but I'd jump off for the CG guys, lol :p <-------------- I'm KIDDING....maybe

To the suggestion of cancelling another cruise, can you honestly say that if you had a cruise planned, waited months to go, booked airfair, arranged for the dog sitter, bought your new clothes and were basically packed up and on the way you would be OK with them cancelling your cruise to accomodate another group of cruisers? It would cost Carnival twice as much, because basically they would have to offer you the same deal as the "rescued" cruise passengers. I feel sorry for the folks on board but let's face it &*^% happens. Ask the people who were in Cozumel when that crazy hurricane sat on the for days, and I am sure there are hundreds of vacation stories that people can tell that apply. But that suggestion would just not work.

Well, Carnival has done this before.

We were booked to go on Carnival out of NOLA the weekend after Katrina hit. We were told that the cruise would then go out of Galveston. We moved all of our reservations to Galveston. On the way to the airport..we were told that our cruise was cancelled. The federal government was going to rent our ship to house displaced victims of the hurricane.

Well and good, except not a single solitary person displaced to Houston wanted to live on the water. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We spent an entire week in Galveston, paying for a hotel and staring at an empty ship.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed and pretty put off of Carnival after that little fiasco.

And no, we didn't get anything nearly that generous. A full refund and 25% off a future cruise. Ugh.

The only way they'd get Norovirus is if someone had it when they got on the ship at departure, or picked it up in Cozumel.

23 million Americans a year get noro. By my Calculations that gives a probability of about 1 in 4000 people have the virus. So probability is there is someone on the ship with it. Under the conditions we have heard about, this could spread like wildfire.

Chartered flights to HOU by Carnival

Yes, I know. However, the Mobile airport is tiny. It is not designed to support a flood of a few thousand passengers for charter flights. It only handles 1600 Pax in a full day of service. It may have one jetway for the one regional jet that comes a day. There aren't the terminal facilities to support it. New Orleans can handle an extra 2000 people. Even for the charter, everyone will have to pass through TSA and have a place to sit prior to boarding.

I was being sarcastic. :) People aren't going to want to hop on a bus/plane/whatever and travel to New Orleans after not showering for four days.

Might fit in in NOLA after Mardi Gras (covered in bodily fluids and haven't showered in several days).... Not those bodily fluids (get you mind out of the gutter).:p

RCL recently was downgraded from buy to hold after posting less than desirable ROE's and Net Income. (Ratings based on TheStreet)

After the RCL stock rose over 50% since last July.

In the same time frame, CCL went up slightly over 20%.

Well, Carnival has done this before.

We were booked to go on Carnival out of NOLA the weekend after Katrina hit. We were told that the cruise would then go out of Galveston. We moved all of our reservations to Galveston. On the way to the airport..we were told that our cruise was cancelled. The federal government was going to rent our ship to house displaced victims of the hurricane.

Well and good, except not a single solitary person displaced to Houston wanted to live on the water. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We spent an entire week in Galveston, paying for a hotel and staring at an empty ship.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed and pretty put off of Carnival after that little fiasco.

And no, we didn't get anything nearly that generous. A full refund and 25% off a future cruise. Ugh.

That was FEMA and the federal government fault. That was a waste of taxpayers dollars.

Archived