Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I just saw a CNN report live from Mobile. In the report they mentioned helicopters were currently delivering supplies to the ship.

There was also an ad for a live report from the port on CNN tomorrow at 2pm, if you want to watch.

Good to hear. Hopefully they a get a break from lettuce and onion sandwiches or whatever crazy sandwich is being made from whats left.

From Carnival:

"Lots of questions/comments about using another ship to transport guests off the C. Triumph so wanted to address the topic:

We evaluated a wide range of options including using another ship to transport guests but the safest solution was towing the ship back to port. We have a huge team involving multiple departments working around the clock to get our guests home as quickly as possible."

12 cruises, that is a lot. I can only imagine how much work will be needed to get this **** up and ready again.

So many vacations destroyed :/

Cleaning up the inside mess will probably not take more than a week or two.

What will take the long time is fixing whatever caused the fire and fixing the damage that the fire caused.

Based on current live data from the tug, they may be waiting off shore for morning. They are currently not moving.

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Resolve-Pioneer-7528843.html

Would think based on the cell phone map with oil rig coverage they also should be in a service area. So we should start hearing from people.

That link wont show me any data because I am not registered. Approximately how far off shore are they?

I have not read all 3100+ posts on this thread, but I would guess that people are sick as a dog. Without stabilizers, wouldn't this ship just be bobbing up and down with every wave? I know I would be blue by now. I feel so bad for everyone on that ship right now. It is surely no party on there.

Cleaning up the inside mess will probably not take more than a week or two.

What will take the long time is fixing whatever caused the fire and fixing the damage that the fire caused.

They will also have to deal with all the various agencies in the US since they are returning to a US port for repairs. They will not be able to sail with passengers until they pass whatever tests the CDC, USCG, NTSB, etc make them pass.

If the situation is even partially as bad as reported they may end up having to replace most of the carpet on the ship and sanitize everything.

Also Carnival is not wanting to waste too much money I am sure, we do not know what work crews are available at the port to fix her up. Getting crews there quickly may come at a steep cost premium if there are other jobs ahead of them. That could cause further delays.

That was FEMA and the federal government fault. That was a waste of taxpayers dollars.

While I agree it was a waste, the government did not commandeer the ship. The ships were chartered at a cost of $236,000,000. That was more profit than what the ships would have made if in service. So, if you don't see that as being CCL's doing, you are mistaken.

After the RCL stock rose over 50% since last July.

In the same time frame, CCL went up slightly over 20%.

Yep, stocks go up and down. Over the past year CCL was a better buy than RCL... CCL has paid more in dividends and the stocks have gone up about the same amount.

But stock prices only matter over the time period you are invested.

Are there any Splendor passengers on the boards that have comments to make on the current Triumph trip?

Where are all of those passengers?

I was wondering if any of the ships that stopped to help Triumph are back, and if so if maybe some of those passengers would come post about their experiences.

They were what?...Elation, Conquest and Legend, correct?

They could of canceled another cruise and used that ship to transfer pasengers to once they realized the ship could not be run on engines for power. They could use the Life boats if needed for the transfer. Those who did not want to leave would be in much beter conditions with fewer people to care for until the ship was towed to port. Forcing 4000+ people living in those conditions is not the way to do it.

Yes things happen but how you deal with it is what matters. I would be upset if I was forced to be on a disabled ship for that period of time in those conditions when other options are available. Imagine how upset you would be seeing other ships leave you there after dropping off some supplies and you were forced to stay on a dead ship with no power, no air conditioning or sanitation and very limited food.

A cancelled vaction is not fun but a whole lot better than having people live in sub 3rd world conditions.

I have cruise booked in April but I am concerned that if something did happen Carnival would not do everything possible to prevent hardship.

On Facebook the Carnival muck a mucks posted that they considered that option, but felt it wasn't safe, and that towing the ship was the best alternative in a bad situation.

Honestly, I am not any sort of expert on the matter, so I can't say that this was the right move. I am sure the NTSB and other regulatory agencies will be second guessing Carnival and laying blame if appropriate.

I'm surprised one of the news organizations hasn't chartered an aircraft to do a flyby and get some up to date pictures of the ship.

I was thinking earlier that they must be getting close enough for a news helicopter to fly over and get some footage.

To all the carnival haters. Accidents happen on other lines too. Here are just a few examples.

January 12, 2013

Silverseas' Silver Explorer on an Antarctic Peninsula cruise was damaged by 18-foot wave, returns to port. Several crew members injured. Next cruise was canceled.

April 20, 2012

Allure of the Seas engine room fire.

March 30, 2012

Azamare Quest cruise ship had a fire in the engine room on Saturday, March 30, 2012. Passengers on the 17-night cruise were called to their muster stations wearing their lifejackets where they stayed assembled while the little cruise ship drifted at sea off the Philippines after losing propulsion .

An engine room fire on Monday, December 12, 2011 around 0920 hours aboard Celebration Cruise Lines' Bahamas Celebration while the ship was sailing about four miles out of Freeport in the Bahamas, disabled the cruise ship with approximately 600 passengers aboard.

December 12, 2010

Brilliance Of The Seas cruise ship severe listings in storm off Egypt

An investigation into fires aboard Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Enchantment Of The Seas revealed that life jackets stored in passengers' cabins were causing fires.

The investigation began after a fire was reported in passenger cabin # 4544. The fire was extinguished in around six minutes.

During the investigation, it was discovered that that a faulty life jacket light is suspected to be the reason for starting the fire. The life jacket was stored in a storage locker wardrobe in the passenger cabin.

At 0637 hours on May 25, 2003, the Bahamas-registered passenger vessel S/S Norway, with 911 crewmembers and 2,135 passengers on board, suffered a boiler rupture in the aft boiler room. The accident occurred about an hour after the vessel had moored in Miami, Florida, at the end of a 7-day Caribbean cruise. As a result of the accident, 8 crewmembers sustained fatal injuries, 10 suffered serious injuries, and 7 received minor injuries. No passengers were injured.

Not a very convincing list if you're trying to give Carnival a pass.

Small vessel hits storm waves in Antarctic... small vessel goes adrift in the Philiippines...

Fire on Allure of the Seas ok ... but did that knock out all power and put the ship adrift needing to be towed in?

Brilliance of the Seas hits storm waves, are you seriously classifying weather the same as a mechanical breakdown?

Enchantments of the Seas cabin fires... did that knock out power?

SS Norway, going back to 2003 kinda far back... but you didn't have to go back that far... How about the Carnival Splendor and Costa Concordia?

Carnival Cruise Lines

Lots of questions/comments about using another ship to transport guests off the C. Triumph so wanted to address the topic:

We evaluated a wide range of options including using another ship to transport guests but the safest solution was towing the ship back to port. We have a huge team involving multiple departments working around the clock to get our guests home as quickly as possible

Conditions have greatly been debated as the time since the last interview/text is 2 days or so... As for food/water, they have enough on board and are distributing it. Not sure how quickly it will get out, but there is enough food and water and no one is at risk from starving

Thank you so much for the info. I should have mentioned that I am also very concerned for all the hard-working crew members and really just everyone that is on the ship and suffering.

I'm thinking that if I had been on the ship, I would have had food, water, and all kinds of wipes as I tend to not leave home without this stuff. I'm one of those people that suffered through the 10 hr. wait on an airline tarmac in a plane with no water, food, or working toilets many years ago now. My DS was 2 yrs. old at the time and because I'm an "over-packer" I was able to help out two other moms with baby food, diapers, and wipes, which is why I never travel without food, water, and wipes of all kinds anymore! However, this ship is 4 days overdue so I too probably would have run out of my own stuff. So, wow, yeah, I'm sorry for all on board the ship. I can't wait to read that they are all off the ship and safe. It would be nice if there could be food, water, and some hand and face wipes, diapers, etc. waiting for them when they got off the ship.

Not a very convincing list if you're trying to give Carnival a pass.

Small vessel hits storm waves in Antarctic... small vessel goes adrift in the Philiippines...

Fire on Allure of the Seas ok ... but did that knock out all power and put the ship adrift needing to be towed in?

Brilliance of the Seas hits storm waves, are you seriously classifying weather the same as a mechanical breakdown?

Enchantments of the Seas cabin fires... did that knock out power?

SS Norway, going back to 2003 kinda far back... but you didn't have to go back that far... How about the Carnival Splendor and Costa Concordia?

I'm not trying to give carnival a pass. Just raising the point that incidents happen on other lines as well.

They could of canceled another cruise and used that ship to transfer pasengers to once they realized the ship could not be run on engines for power. They could use the Life boats if needed for the transfer. Those who did not want to leave would be in much beter conditions with fewer people to care for until the ship was towed to port. Forcing 4000+ people living in those conditions is not the way to do it.

Yes things happen but how you deal with it is what matters. I would be upset if I was forced to be on a disabled ship for that period of time in those conditions when other options are available. Imagine how upset you would be seeing other ships leave you there after dropping off some supplies and you were forced to stay on a dead ship with no power, no air conditioning or sanitation and very limited food.

A cancelled vaction is not fun but a whole lot better than having people live in sub 3rd world conditions.

I have cruise booked in April but I am concerned that if something did happen Carnival would not do everything possible to prevent hardship.

Can you just imagine transfering 3,000 passengers (elderly, children, etc) in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico to another cruise ship?! This would be a nightmare. I watch people have a hard time getting onto a tender during a port visit. Then you put them on the other ship and do what with them?

Thank you so much for the info. I should have mentioned that I am also very concerned for all the hard-working crew members and really just everyone that is on the ship and suffering.

I try to post ridiculous comedy or facts... Speculation is no good at this point (especially when we are so close to hearing from passengers)... Interested to see how many still have live cell phones

Archived