Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

If i learn d anything from this incident..i can go without food..but, a day without water would be difficult..

i took the survey..i think id be prudent to bring a few extra bottles of water aboard to avoid the the rush for bottle water..and a box of plastic bags..:o

Actually that would be 90 degrees assuming I read that right. That said, while I doubt it was actually 45 degrees in reality, if you are on an upper deck of a dark disabled ship listing even 10 degrees its going to FEEL like 45.

At 45 degree list, the floor is at 45 degrees from the horizontal, and the wall is at 45 degrees to the horizontal. You would have one foot on the floor and another on the wall to stay upright. I was on a ship that listed 6 to 7 degrees, which is a little more than a wheelchair ramp slope. While some people referred to the incident as "severe", it was far from it.

THIS is probably the best idea I have seem on here in pages, and very logistically doable. If they do something like this will say a lot about mentality.

However, if Carnival is really thinking of passenger comfort (yet to be seen), they will have hot washcloths upon entering busses and boxed meals available to them so they can at least ride in some comfort to hotels. These would be small, but much appreciated gestures. Disney gives cold washcloths at Castaway Cay when you arrive back to ship after being on beach. Really nice touch. Providing hot washcloths and a boxed meal wouldn't be hard to do.

How/why/how can pipes be busting? Isn't nothing, or very little running? or is it the few running lines which are busting over the load? (all they need now is localized flooding)

They did report free warm beer wine and soda after they got underway with the tow. Prior to that all was cut off and dry.

How was this reported? There has been no communication from those on board since the two CCL ships that dropped supplies left the area--which was before the tow began.

The whole Mobile vs Progreso thing is still an issue, to me. They initially broke down ~150 miles from Progreso. They drifted 90 miles north before the tugs were ready to tow, meaning they were ~240 miles from Progreso. By my rough calculation, it's ~630 miles from Progreso to Mobile, meaning if they were ~240 miles from Progreso at that point, they were at least 390 miles from Mobile. This doesn't add up with Carnival's claim that triumph was "equidistant" from mobile and Progreso. Couple that with the storm front they've encountered which has slowed them down, and it looks to me that Carnival has extended this by at least a day or two vs what it would have been had they gone to Progreso.

Mobile is certainly simpler and cheaper from the perspective of getting the passengers home, but I hope that wasn't the driving concern.

Either way, that was about the worst possible place in the entire Caribbean/Gulf basin to break down.

It's not like a car on the highway. The current was flowing north east. Carnival never said Triumph was equidistant between Mobile and Progreso. It did say that the time to tow was approximately the same. (See the map here for the approximate geometry.) Going to Progreso would have involved towing against the then prevailing winds and currents. Heading to Mobile, while further distance wise was going with the prevailing winds and currents.

Yesterday the winds shifted and the weather got worse. This has lead to a delay getting into Mobile.

There will undoubtedly be debate over the wisdom of going to Mobile. Possibly Triumph could have docked in Progreso last night. On the other hand landing there may well have required substantially more time to return passengers home.

Got it. I was thinking overall relation the horizontal plane, which would have been 90.

At 45 degree list, the floor is at 45 degrees from the horizontal, and the wall is at 45 degrees to the horizontal. You would have one foot on the floor and another on the wall to stay upright. I was on a ship that listed 6 to 7 degrees, which is a little more than a wheelchair ramp slope. While some people referred to the incident as "severe", it was far from it.

You obviously don't know that all ships are required to transmit their locations on a timely basis, it's maritime law. Marinetraffic dot com monitors these transmissions...

I'm aware of that. But I suspect there are emergency situations when this can be suspended. We don't know what the condition is of the system. It may also be getting broadcast in a different method.

I will continue to dispute the 45 degree news until I see pictures of the disabled ship. If the Triumph is really listing 45 degrees, the situation is much direr than generally reported by the passengers. At 45 degrees, floors and walls are at the same angle to the horizontal.

just the walls would be tipped. I think 90 and it would be fully horizontal.

Just wait until everyone is off the ship.... I am guessing that 3/4 of them made the best of it and, stayed drunk, laughed, made new life long friends, enjoyed extended vacation.. The other 1/4 bitched about everything!!!! I've been on trips (even on the Triumph) with all day bitching even in good conditions....

Dear, they've been in the Gulf for 4 days with no a/c, overflowing toilets (as stated by the only witness thus far to get off the ship), very limited food, under "very challenging conditions" as stated by the CEO. I certainly hope they are making the best of it as a coping method... however, if you think its an extended vacation, I need to know your definition of "vacation".

I may be guessing (and I am not implying any collusion over the delay in docking) but to have the ship arrive some time after the evening news cycle will mean that the passengers' stories will not hit the news until the morning, giving CCL time to try to control what will inevitably be a media news frenzy.

To have the passengers in buses during the night, heading to different locations, will also reduce - or delay - exposure to the press. It will be interesting to see if the press are excluded from speaking with passengers before they board the buses.

The sharks are circling as I type this, and they are very hungry...............

I am one of the ones she quoted. Nothing I have posted is made up and at no time have I passed opinion without saying it was speculation. I have 20 years USCG experience. I do not have any agenda whatsoever other than passing factual information. Please point out which of my posts you think are "made up information" and I'll be glad to discuss them with you.

And many of us appreciate what you have brought to this topic. I still remember the story about the camera. Such a great ending.:)

At some point (which passed two days ago, IMO), someone has to say "you know what? We care more about the passengers than money at this point. We are going to do whatever it takes to get them home as quickly and as safely as possible, cost be damned."

Unfortunately for CCL, that point has not happened yet.

I'll say it again. Gerry Cahill needs to take a lesson from Doug Parker on managing an on board crisis in a way that makes the company come out looking like heroes and instills both customer loyalty and shareholder confidence.

Comments on CNN just now:

a) Carnival should give each passenger a cruise on RCCL.

b) $500 per passenger is not enough to cover the psychiatric help they will need.

That's pretty funny. And pretty true.

They should also put Piers Morgan on that ship.

Carnival Triumph will arrive at between 8pm - 11pm

Since they had original said they would not bring the ship into harbor in the dark since it is under tow, where was this reported? Not that I'm questioning, I'm just wondering if the USCG/Port is making an exception and willing to attempt docking in the dark.

Live here... think theyve spotted Triumph,said they rented an 8000 lens to get the first shots!

http://www.local15tv.com/content/livestream/default/Carnival-Triumph-Making-its-Way-To-Mobile/iAebEeXnhUyKqbAckjeFNQ.cspx

Looks like it's not:

UPDATE 9:42AM: What appeared to be the Carnival Triumph is actually not the ship. Our crews are still on standby for when it comes into view

The sharks are circling as I type this, and they are very hungry...............

Boy is that ever true, been watching that local link, they just can't wait to get the first picture!

And the sharks here (all of us):D are right here too...LOL. Just offering some levity....Ya gotta admit it is riviting....

Good interview, they just seemed to want to be in the know not stumped as to how their daughters were doing.

They seemed to be reasonable about CCL and the praised the crew...sounded good to me. Crap happens. But just let us know how it really is that's the jist of their feelings I think.

Agree--they seemed to be very fair and reasonable with their comments. I have to agree, I think the lack of accurate communication and spin has made CCL look a lot worse than it could have.

Archived