Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

If they were told not to talk to the media, there are sure a lot of them that are NOT following orders. But I could see why, it's always the media that try to exagerate and stir up trouble. As someone posted earlier, when passengers didn't have anything bad to say, the CNN reporters told them to move on.... How's that for PR???

Doug

Is it possible that they spoke to their attorney and were told not to speak to the media? One slip up in an answer to a question could lose a potential lawsuit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I forget where it was written in one of the articles, but the CEO said that the Triumph had problems before related to an alternator that was replaced before the February 2nd sailing, causing that sailing to leave late. He also said that this was NOT the cause of the fire.

EDIT: Found it use google news for "carnival Triumph alternator"

Earlier this month Carnival repaired an electrical issue on one of the Triumph's alternators. The company said there was no evidence of any connection between the repair and the fire.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/02/articles/fires-1/here-we-go-again-engine-room-fire-cripples-carnival-triumph-cruise-ship/#comments

As well as news media mentioned it today and a passenger spoke about what he experienced on this cruise before the fire occured. Guess you were one of the lucky ones that were enjoying the cruise despite the observations of others.

CBC live shot is back and can just make out people on the gangway, but they are going both ways so may be crew & officials.

They are interviewing a person at the dock united with daughter who just got off.

McDonald's was apparently there hading out burgers.

Line of limos picking up people.

Construction crews waiting to board.

Since spinal tap is a fictitious band I think you missed the joke here.

I would have missed it too, I heard about them a long time ago but that's not the sort of music I was a fan of.

Funny how 80's the clothes they are wearing are, but some of it back in style now.

I watched the whole CNN report til it started to loop again to interviewing the same passengers - I've heard Sweet Home Alabama enough for at least another decade.

This! That reporter was foul.

I only watched the CNN report on cable tv. I remember the reporter who did most of the footage, nasal voice & kept stuttering (uh uh x 20 at the beginning of her questions numerous times) when she was interviewing passengers. Was this the same reporter? If so, she was annoying even without the feed of foul language. Appearance - 30ish, long dark hair.

Who in their right mind would ever consider a Carnival cruise again?

I would. In fact, I just booked a cruise in October on Victory. (After dithering for 4 months.)

I'll stick with Royal. They know their stuff.

They're a great line and I'm sure I'll cruise with them again, too.

RCCL does some things better than Carnival (pre-cruise stuff, entertainment, onboard soft drink program, etc.) and CCL does some things better (debarkation, price), but for me, for my time window, I booked with CCL with no regrets.

Most of th passengers seem upbeat and happy. Really only 2 were truly negative.

Of course they are happy and upbeat, and for good reason. After being adrift for over 4 days, they are finally heading home, they are finally going to have a hot meal, they are finally going to have a comfortable bed to sleep in, they will finally be able to go to the bathroom in a toilet.

Nobody seems to be discussing what could have happened. Had the ship lost power in bad weather near a shore, we could be mourning the lives of all these people. Carnival needs to take the seaworthiness of their ships seriously. This shouldn't keep happening.

It's pointless to discuss WHAT IFs in this situation after the fact, except those that are planning to avoid the next one. And we won't be part of those discussions.

Fox reporting that Cahill apologized on the ship's PA system. He would have done better to welcome them in person at the gangway IMO.

He would have done better to have choppered in to the ship 4 days ago. This has become a PR nightmare. Slow news day (cover anything but how lame Obamas STOU was) and too much time to for the media to circle. Bet they wish they had off loaded in Progresso as they were first going to do.

I may never watch Greta again. I shut her off the 5th time I heard her say over 4000 passengers. The ommision of the words "and crew" were just one small way that she we out of her way to exaggerate. The other whopper was the drama given to such a large ship coming to the pax terminal for the first time - while omitted that ships this size make there way to the shipyard just across the river.

This could be a brand ending event for Carnival. It should be carreer ending event for Cahill.

:confused: A good professional media person is typically dedicated to collecting relevant facts and relating them to the media in an honest and clear manner.

The silence was DEAFENING this week, even those that are sopposed to be channelling information.

What a difference from SPLENDOR! And they'll pay for that, those beards. They are the main focus of thismorningnews, while the crew is being rightfully praised.

Where is Jen Baxter?:confused:

I have seen none of this on Fox, I heard nothing but a really upbeat attitude from the passengers that Fox has interviewed. You must have been watching MSNBC.

Doug

I was watching MSNBC and the people they interviewed seemed to be upbeat and positive. No one was saying it was a great vacation :) - of course, but they were all praising the crew and saying that passengers mostly pulled together.

One woman said she and her friend had a balcony cabin. They opened both doors to give people in the inside rooms and the halls some air. They also let the people across from them in the inside rooms share their balcony a bit.

Another said all sorts of people were sharing what they had. Two young girls said the crew deserved big bonuses!

The only real complaint I heard from the passengers MSNBC interviewed was a woman who had fallen on the first night. Apparently they were being buffeted by waves and wind (this is where stories of the list came from). She said they were going down the stairs in the dark (always carry a flashlight, people!) and she fell when she missed the step. She said she cut herself (not sure on what) and couldn't get any medical help. She said she was told the medical staff was helping to fight the fire - which is a strong possibility. She said the customer service people gave her some bandaids and Neosporin packets - which weren't adequate.

I'm guessing that they couldn't send her down to medical - even if the fire was out - because it's way down on the lowest deck (I speak from experience :( ). I would think that having a passenger down there - unless it was a heart attack or something equally serious) with all the chaos that must have been going on wouldn't have been a good idea.

Anyway - mostly just wanted to repeat that MSNBC was finding positive attitude people. I can't speak for any other channel because I felt no need to change what I was watching.

Oh - when asked about the order of debarkation, one woman started to explain that they had paid for FTTF, so they would be getting off just after the other VIFP people. The host asked her if Carnival was forcing them to pay to get off first. She laughed and tried to explain that it was something they had paid for before the cruise to get ON faster. I don't think he got it.

Prior to the start of this post, I need to acknowledge my own ignorance on this matter. I've always wondered why the US port authority (or whoever handles this stuff) can't require that ships have a mandatory week off every so often for maintenance. I know that the US doesn't own the ships, but we could make regulations for docking in our ports. Just seems like the cruise lines should be required to have scheduled maintenance of at least a week say every 9 months? I know it would cost the cruise industry tons, but what do incidents like this one cost, and what's the cruisers safety worth?

Just a thought. I'm sure I don't know how it all works, but it sounds good to me.

Cindy

I disagree. Maybe not a long conversation, but to be personally welcomed home by the CEO and to hear "Sorry we failed to deliver, but we're going to make it right" would mean a lot to me.

I would have been more impressed with what he said had he been delivering grilled steaks as I walked off the ship.

Words were empty at that point. As well as my stomach.

I read about how it is going to take hours to let everybody off the ship, which is normal for a cruise, but this cruise wasn't normal

I suppose what I'm saying is, upon reaching port they would be letting me off PRONTO, and delaying me from getting off would in my mind be akin to kidnapping

Those 200 shoreside people should have been cycling through assistIng with the luggage handling. Maybe they did.

Archived