Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

and this firing had nothing to do with the cruise line industry, right? so why is it an issue?

I was responding to someone who said you couldn't be fired for missing work due to travel problems. The reality is that yes, you can.

MrPete I be the very same way....want the ship to take its sweet time getting to land. The ship is being given food, drink, etc. by the Elation I believe, there are no worries for this, the worst case, Carnival use helicopters to bring down food and drink for the passengers. Nobody is unsafe.

the ship must stink by now...they can't use the bathrooms

unsanitary can easily turn into unsafe

they can't even wash the silverware and plates, can they?m

The food is going rotten

They are not eating in the MDR my friend, they are eating only the non perishable food and with their hands.

They don't use paper napkins onboard so the cloth ones are all used up by now

See where I am going here?

Yes, they are safe from drowning etc. but that is about it. They are in danger of lots of stuff if they are all huddled together. I hope there is no NORO onboard.

Did you miss the part about no one is permitted in their stateroom. Everyone is packed into public areas atop the ship. Oh, and going to bathrooms in buckets and bags

Not being allowed into a cabin where there would be privacy and in many cases much more comfort than herded into public areas adds insult to injury.

I read in the news that they are canelling her next two cruises, so you should be fine for your cruise in 50 days.

That might be wishful thinking on Carnival's part. I don't remember the details but after the Splendor fire didn't they also just cancel the next two cruises immediately? It spent quite a few weeks here in San Diego before towing it to San Francisco for repairs. Someone else stated repair yards can be heavily booked.

One thing for sure...the YouTube videos wont lie.....

Having spent my whole life in the CG and on ships...the biggest issue is since the emergency seems to be stabilized is the sewage system. They can play all the happy music they want, but after a while, it's gonna start to smell real bad. Hopefully they can get some power to that system.

Watching the people post on here, I imagine the people on board have a totally different dialog going. Instead of a refund, whey may just like somewhere to pee....

Don't think its a fun cruise anymore.

Wish them luck...been there done that.

|

billd

I read in the news that they are canelling her next two cruises, so you should be fine for your cruise in 50 days.

The Splendor was sidelined for 3 months after her fire. I'd at least plan for a similar outage here.

Your analogy is off... it's more like the running back's shoe came apart after having had issues for the last two months.

Don't know why you want to give Carnival a free pass on this.

i have never ever said i am giving carnival a free pass. and i am not a carnival cheerleader. i have cruised them less than most other lines. i am on the board now because my next cruise is with carnival and then i will move on to another board). i am just saying that people who are condemning AT THIS POINT IN TIME without all the relevant facts are missing the boat.

if i were on the ship i would be very, very upset at having my vacation interrupted and my plans disrupted.

if it comes out, and it will if it is true, that the fire was a result of a missed maintenance issue then i will climb on the carnival is the culprit bandwagon. until then i will wait and see.

how do you know passengers aren't allowed in their staterooms NOW. no one on this board, that i am aware of, is it constant communication with ANYONE on the ship and a single text from 18 hours ago MAY NOT be the current situation. this game of telephone has passed into the ludicrous situation.

Don't let facts get in the way of reality!:D

I realize probably 75% if not more of this thread is speculation. I will anxiously await reports from the passengers when they get back home... But here is my question.

If no one is allowed back in their staterooms where are all these 3000 passengers sleeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well that will make it easier for some pax, but they will probably still have to wait for the others to get through the embassy anyway.

I would imagine that they will need several planes to transport everyone back home or what they could do is get those with PP out ASAP and then just fly back and pick up those that will need to spend time at the Embassy getting emergency PPs. If PPs are even going to be required in a situation like this. Because in a situation like this possessing good common sense goes a long way and let's hope that government officials will use common sense.

I would hope they have chartered at least 5 planes that can hold enough pax to do this in a timely manner.

I imagine that they will make immediate arrangements for those with passports--most likely having a combination of a charter and regularly scheduled flights already booked and possibly even waiting for them as soon as they get off the ship. The rest--that could take several days to sort out.

I thought CBP was under ICE now administratively. If not, I sit corrected. Either way, the appropriate agency can waive the requirements with the approval of the appropriate administrators.

Not sure where you are getting your information but ICE does not admit people into the US. They will not get involved with this incident. The correct agency would be CBP.

ducklite, I also would say if the employee was valuable, a caring company/place to work for or one that wants to keep that employee, that person wouldn't been fired anyways. What a great reason for an employer to get rid of an employee they not really need or want to get rid of in the first place. My case closed on this issue.

Sewage probloem Im sorry you all find this offensive, but I would just get a cup, bag or something go in that and dump overboard in my balcony stateroom lol I rather do that than have the toilet full.

I do know being 150 miles out I would have cell phone service, probably roaming but would have access.

I agree that Carnival will reimburse for certain items, like extra airfare charges, etc. but really, do you really think they should pay for lost pay??????? When was the last time an airline reimbursed anyone for lost pay, due to a plane cancelled due to mechanical failure. Never, that I have ever heard......let's get real here....

when you can't work due to a car accident, the car insurance will reimburse you for lost pay.

This was a ship accident even though it was a fire and travel insurance or the cruiseline, yes, should pay for lost wages.

Interesting read.

I know four people on this cruise. One of which is my wife. I have been in contact with her and the others.

The cruise line says they are running on emergency generators. That might be true but there are no lights or running water on the ship only power is to necessary items. Cabins have no power. They have to use bags and or the shower to go to the bathroom. It is hot with no air moving below deck. Not very comfortable being below deck for long. They want everyone to stay in the public or open areas of the ship. The ship is adrift and has been since the fire. One or two tug boats are suppose to be in route to tow the ship back to the closest port.

Carnival is refunding the money for the trip and any charges on board the ship. My wife will not be going on Carnival again.

If she had a car accident, would she refuse to drive that type of car again?

ducklite, I also would say if the employee was valuable, a caring company/place to work for or one that wants to keep that employee, that person wouldn't been fired anyways. What a great reason for an employer to get rid of an employee they not really need or want to get rid of in the first place. My case closed on this issue.

Sewage probloem Im sorry you all find this offensive, but I would just get a cup, bag or something go in that and dump overboard in my balcony stateroom lol I rather do that than have the toilet full.

I do know being 150 miles out I would have cell phone service, probably roaming but would have access.

But you may not be allowed into your stateroom.

Cruisin6, we will find out if they did or not. I have to say it makes sense to have people access their cabins (perhaps the lowest deck they not able due to being closer to the engine room) so that there is less angry people, less arguing and less chance of problems arising on board because of angry passengers.

I be the one that be with a smiling face saying I hope I have more sea days.

Even if I had to stay on public decks you be sure I rather use the cup/bag anyways than being in that toilet with overflow stools.

the ship must stink by now...they can't use the bathrooms

unsanitary can easily turn into unsafe

they can't even wash the silverware and plates, can they?m

The food is going rotten

They are not eating in the MDR my friend, they are eating only the non perishable food and with their hands.

They don't use paper napkins onboard so the cloth ones are all used up by now

See where I am going here?

Yes, they are safe from drowning etc. but that is about it. They are in danger of lots of stuff if they are all huddled together. I hope there is no NORO onboard.

There will be some paper and plastic from the pool bar and snack bar areas, although they won't last forever.

With provisions from both Elation and Liberty this afternoon they should be more comfortable.

Fore bathroom service looks like it is up and aft being worked on to restore. Transfer of a dialysis patient to Liberty to be taken to Cozumel this afternoon. Coast guard updates may continue to give available accurate information. Having freshwater system working will also help morale.

Archived