Fire Aboard Carnival Triumph

sapper1

The toilets operate on a vacuum system and it takes power to run it.

As Sapper1 said, it takes power to create sufficient vacuum for the toilets ... gravity is not enough. Pee in a toilet would just sit there stagnant while pee in a shower or sink drains by gravity to waste tanks.

Ahhh, now that makes sense--surprised he didn't think of that! Thanks for this bit of trivia. I'm still not sure i would stop serving wine, but i suppose it is the prudent thing to do. But the story would be better told after-the-fact if pax could say it turned into a great party!!:D

ML

I would not want to be on that ship right now!

You and me both, Father!!!!

I foresee some big bargains on cruises coming up. This is going to turn many people off, that is for sure.

I just pray that everyone arrives back safely and does not suffer any serious health consquences as a result of this disaster. How very, very sad for crew and passengers.

This whole situation mirrors exactly what happened a few years ago on the Carnival Splendor, although that ship had absolutely no electric so no elevators, no hot food and not one toilet. They were on the first sea day of a 7 day cruise when it happened and they did not get towed into San Diego till Friday so they went from Sunday night till Friday when they arrived. Of course the Splendor was a slightly newer ship and larger with more passengers but the stories we are hearing about this situation is actually far more severe than what happened on the Splendor. People stayed calm there were not the stories of fights while they did have the bad smells I don't think the situation was nearly as bad on board. I know that at the time a lot of credit was given to John Held who was the Cruise Director at the time who kept the passengers entertained. One has to wonder why the situation has turned far more ugly. At the time of the Splendor fire they only had the US Coast Guard bringing them supplies and not other cruise ships in the area.

I well remember Splendor and speculate this time the situation has turned uglier, if the reports we hear are to be believed ..... IMO because of the repetitiveness of Carnival having 'incidents'. When the red whale's tail on those ships keep showing up on news reports with horror stories, people remember.

Carnival is not 'looking good'. People remember!

I remember the Splendor as well.

Difference?

Maybe because the Triumph was only a 4 day cruise and the Splendor was a 7 day cruise. Length of cruise can influence the type of person that books them.

Ahhhhhhhh, not to bring it down to the basest of terms but......the more you drink the more you P***.

Without toilets I''m sure the crew would prefer slightly dehydated pax than one's drinking beer.........just sayin':o

Drinking alcohol actually dehydrates you, so the passengers will be less dehydrated if deprived of alcohol, but your point is still valid. Although if reports of violence are correct I'm sure the withholding of alcohol has more to do with behavior and crowd control than available toilet facilities.

I sure would not want to be these people, but we need to keep in mind how rare a situation like this really is.

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News > Carnival Cruise Ship Suffers Engine Room Fire; Running on Emergency Generator Power

February 10, 2013

Carnival Cruise Ship Suffers Engine Room Fire; Running on Emergency Generator Power

(Update, 4:10 p.m. EST) -- Carnival Triumph suffered an engine room fire Sunday morning that left the ship running on emergency generator power 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.

According to a 3:30 p.m. EST statement from the line, "the ship's automatic fire extinguishing systems activated and the fire was contained to the aft engine room. At this time, the fire is fully extinguished." No casualties or injuries have been reported.

As of 3:30 p.m. EST, the 2,758-passenger vessel was without propulsion. "The ship's technical crew is continuing to assess the damage and attempting to restore power," said the line in the statement. "In the meantime, a tugboat is being dispatched to the ship's location in the event it is needed."

All appropriate authorities, including U.S. Coast Guard, have been notified.

According to Carnival, there are 3,143 passengers and 1,086 crew on the ship, which left Thursday from Galveston on a four-night Western Caribbean cruise. All passengers have been asked to remain in Triumph's public areas and open decks. They are being provided with food and refreshments.

Passengers on the current voyage will receive a full refund inclusive of gratuities and any transportation expenses.

Carnival says it has reached out to passengers on the next voyage, originally scheduled to depart Monday, which will now be delayed. Passengers have the option of cancelling now and receiving a full refund or waiting for further information to determine if a shortened, partial voyage may be possible. Stay tuned.

Several Cruise Critic readers, including Clinty76, whose wife and mother-and-law are onboard, tipped us off to the news.

I feel sorry for those passengers and the crew.

just for siituations like this. Guess there is limited ice available. We could go several days without hot food. I am sure Carnival won't stiff the crew on tips as it was no fault of theirs as well as the passengers. And they don't get balcony cabins. And I hope that the passengers recognize how hard it is on the crew and reward them for their extra effort.

Will be praying for passengers and crew. Do you think that those onboard will get additional points added to their VIFP points? What about giving them honorary platinum or diamond status for their ordeal?;)

I doubt many of the pax will be repeat pax on Carnival again and could care less about points or the future cruise credit Carnival has told them they will receive. (I'm sure you were joking about the points though.)

It will be interesting to see how many lawsuits are filed. Pax may be getting a full refund for this cruise, but that just covers the fact they didn't receive the cruise they paid for. Many will be asking for compensation for what they have put up with since the fire.

*snip*

It will be interesting to see how many lawsuits are filed. Pax may be getting a full refund for this cruise, but that just covers the fact they didn't receive the cruise they paid for. Many will be asking for compensation for what they have put up with since the fire.

Why is it that people in our society seem to think that they deserve financial compensation for every bad thing that happens to them? All of those people are having a miserable time, but having a miserable time for a week does not entitle you to financial compensation. It was an accident. Stuff happens. Suck it up.

This has to be a really bad experience. Not one I want at all. But, still, if this is the WORST thing that ever happens to these people in their lives, they are damn lucky.

For the hale and hearty, strong young guests, it is more possible for them to cope and 'roll with it'.

For the more senior, the less hearty, the disabled that cruise because it is the 'easiest' way to vacation, it could have very adverse impact on their health. It is not impossible some will suffer real medical issues. IMO

I don't have time to reread this whole thread or articles about the fire right now, but I know there have been accounts from recent pax on this ship that there were engine problems on their cruise. I have no idea if there is any connection to this fire, but you can bet your last buck that there will be claims of negligence against Carnival in the operation of this ship.

NOT saying I agree, just that you can be sure there will be lawsuits.

I am sure that in order to receive compensation from Carnival they will need to sign paperwork saying they will not sue.

As sad as it is that this ship had numerous problems prior to this sailing with the engines, that didn't give an indication that there would be a fire. As I have heard, fires are not uncommon on any ship and procedures are in place to extingish them promptly to not endanger passengers. In this case, procedures worked. You now have a lot of people floating in the Gulf of Mexico verses a sunk ship and dead bodies.

Yes, I think the engine problems should have been dealt with - there were certainly enough reports of this ships problems on the Carnival board. However, can you imagine what the posts would have been and the bad press that would be out there if last Thursday Carnival had told 2000+ waiting passengers that their cruise was cancelled because there were some engine problems.

Not to minimize the discomfort these folks are experiencing, but before we wring our hands TOO badly, a little perspective is in order -

How would they like to be the law enforcement families in CA planning funerals for their loved ones this week?

Or the Sandy Hook folks who are still w/o a home going on 3 months later?

Or the Newtown parents trying to put their families and lives back together?

Or the millions in 3rd world countries who are w/o food and safe water and bathroom facilities every day of their lives?

and so on and so forth....

Yes, it's unfortunate and uncomfortable... but the end is in sight and most will suffer no lasting effects other than the loss of a highly anticipated vacation and some indignity over their bodily functions for a few days.

That doesn't mean they should throw a party.. but when you put it into perspective... this too shall pass.

Would I want to be in their shoes? No.. but better stranded out there, peeing in the shower, than to be in any of the groups I referenced at the start.

And please, before the flames start, just my opinion... and having been married for 40 yrs, I'm accustomed to being wrong.

For the hale and hearty, strong young guests, it is more possible for them to cope and 'roll with it'.

For the more senior, the less hearty, the disabled that cruise because it is the 'easiest' way to vacation, it could have very adverse impact on their health. It is not impossible some will suffer real medical issues. IMO

You are absolutely correct. That is indeed a possibility, but the older I get the more it seems to me that younger people seem to have the hardest time coping with any type of hardship. When I was 16 a tornado destroyed our home, with us in it. We went to school the next day. Nowadays, people keep their kids home and take them to counselors because they saw TV coverage about a hurricane in another state!

I did not wish to convey that I believed it was impossible for this event to have adverse effects on someone's health. It could indeed. Those people should, of course, have access to the legal system if they need financial assistance with the costs of medical care or lost income due to those adverse effects. But I know, and you probably do too, that there are lawyers waiting on that pier with the worried families to get people to sue for making them hot, hungry and smelly.

Carnival has had 2 ships with engine room fires in the last 2 years that have resulted in ships being adrift in the middle of the ocean with limited or no power, sewage problems and food problems. The ship involved in the Mexico cruise became known has the "Pop-Tart" cruise since the USN had to drop supplies to them.

It is not re-assuring to see the largest Cruise line not be able to handle a major emergancy effectively while at sea. I can't say Carnival is representative of the entire Industry but these incidents combined with Costa Concordia disaster make you wonder how the Industry treats cruising simply has a money making venture and sailing safely is not a primary concern.

I think that less opinion than fact. I am thinking of people who require PAP machines etc.

All in all, quite a mess.

I'm thinking of people with heart conditions, diabetes and other chronic illnesses which conditions could be worsened in such adverse conditions. Diabetics need particular diet and cannot eat 'onion sandwiches' as a healthy way of eating to manage their disease. This has extended over a number of days now..... long enough for some people to truly become ill or more ill.

Frail and elderly do not have the strength to manage in these conditions. They can manage when they have the usual and expected comforts and amenities one expects when they pay good money for decent accomodations. While, of course, I understand 'ship' happens, this 'ship' is truly severe.

Carnival has had 2 ships with engine room fires in the last 2 years that have resulted in ships being adrift in the middle of the ocean with limited or no power, sewage problems and food problems. The ship involved in the Mexico cruise became known has the "Pop-Tart" cruise since the USN had to drop supplies to them.

It is not re-assuring to see the largest Cruise line not be able to handle a major emergancy effectively while at sea. I can't say Carnival is representative of the entire Industry but these incidents combined with Costa Concordia disaster make you wonder how the Industry treats cruising simply has a money making venture and sailing safely is not a primary concern.

These are modern times. Corporations it seems must demonstrate growth and increased profit on a quarterly basis. There are real life consequences. It shows up dramatically in cases like this.

Remember when a breakfast cereal company once advertised we wrap our future in every box?

I'm thinking of people with heart conditions, diabetes and other chronic illnesses which conditions could be worsened in such adverse conditions. Diabetics need particular diet and cannot eat 'onion sandwiches' as a healthy way of eating to manage their disease. This has extended over a number of days now..... long enough for some people to truly become ill or more ill.

Frail and elderly do not have the strength to manage in these conditions. They can manage when they have the usual and expected comforts and amenities one expects when they pay good money for decent accomodations. While, of course, I understand 'ship' happens, this 'ship' is truly severe.

Yes, you truly place your life in the hands of the cruise company when you board a ship for a vacation.

The situation on board that ship is just awful. While I wouldn't want to be a family in CA or one in Newton, these people are suffering a terrible ordeal that could indeed affect their health.I don't think comparing different hardships or tragedies helps while you are in the midst of an ordeal you have to endure.

And for those who want to sue for health related expenses, I was under the impression(please correct me if I'm wrong) that that is very difficult to do because the ships aren't registered in the US.

All I know is, I wouldn't want to be on that ship right now.

And I agree that there are many with all sorts of medical conditions who would not fare well in this situation.

Both DH and I would probably be very ill by now.

DH has many medications that he has to take and needs food with them -- 5 times a day. He can not afford to miss medications for this many days.

Me -- I can no longer eat onions -- that went off the food chain -- guess I would just throw the onions away and eat the bread.

There are many people with medical conditions -- like

Sail mentioned that may have repercutions after this unfortunate incident.

Archived