Could somebody please translate this into English?

Sopwith

I'm looking at a couple of overnight shore excursions in Jerusalem and Cairo. The fine print on the Princess web site says:

This tour must be reserved at least 30 days prior to the cruise and is non-refundable after booking or being waitlisted. Any booking cancelled within 30 days of the voyage (i.e. bookings cancelled on the Cruise Personalizer) will be assessed cancellation fees on your shipboard account. Waitlisted requests will be cleared in the order received and are subject to the same cancellation policy.

...which makes no sense to me. If the excursion is cancelled more than 30 days before the voyage, is it refundable or not? ( Who writes this stuff, anyway? )

Looks like it says if you cancel more than 30 days before the cruise starts, you do not have to pay anything.

Since Princess does not charge for shore excursions before the cruise, there is no money to refund if you do cancel before the penalty period as you have not paid anything.

I'm looking at a couple of overnight shore excursions in Jerusalem and Cairo. The fine print on the Princess web site says:

This tour must be reserved at least 30 days prior to the cruise and is non-refundable after booking or being waitlisted. Any booking cancelled within 30 days of the voyage (i.e. bookings cancelled on the Cruise Personalizer) will be assessed cancellation fees on your shipboard account. Waitlisted requests will be cleared in the order received and are subject to the same cancellation policy.

...which makes no sense to me. If the excursion is cancelled more than 30 days before the voyage, is it refundable or not? ( Who writes this stuff, anyway? )

This is a deviation from normal Princess policy where an excursion can be cancelled up to 24/48 hours before the actual excursion date without penalty. If within 30 days of the cruise if one cancels the excursion then there is a penalty.

I know there is some extra paperwork required by the Egyptian government, and the same may be true for Israel. The penalty periods would compensate for this paperwork (tourist visa, etc).

Not quite clear but close reading suggests that you pay the non-refundable charge for the excursion when you book. It must be booked 30 or more days before the cruise. If you cancel withing the 30 day window you will also be charged a cancellation fee. Sounds like they don't want you to change your mind.

This tour must be reserved at least 30 days prior to the cruise so if you wait until 29 days before your cruise, tough, you won't be able to book this tour

and is non-refundable after booking or being waitlisted.Which is to say, once you book you cannot change your mind and cancel for free. That is unlike most of our excursions, but in this case we have to have commitments. So, no free cancellations once you book or are waitlisted

Any booking cancelled within 30 days of the voyage (i.e. bookings cancelled on the Cruise Personalizer) will be assessed cancellation fees on your shipboard account.If you go on the cruise and the excursion you will pay for it. If you go on the cruise but cancel the excursion you will still pay for it. If you make the excursion cancellation within thirty days of the cruise, your onboard account will show a charge for your excursion and you will pay for it. If you cancel the whole shebang we will still charge you for the excursion and you will pay for it.

Waitlisted requests will be cleared in the order received and are subject to the same cancellation policyWe have two lists of people on this excursion, Confirmed and Waitlisted. If you book this excursion and are confirmed, see prior section. If you are waitlisted, we will automatically move you to the Confirmed side if and when a slot opens up by someone canceling. In which case, see above section re: you will pay for it. If we never manage to get you on the confirmed list, well, then you don't have to pay for it. But it may take a coupla days for us to refund your waitlisted booking. Note that means if YOU cancel the waitlist before we confirm you, then yes, you will pay for it.

See translation in red.

We used Alex City Travel for a overnight in Cario. The owner Hany was our guide and we had a wonderful tour. We joined another couple who had booked Hany (the man was a travel agent whose company used Hany for the large tours). Hany customized the tour for us and we saw a lot more than the ships tours. We stayed in the same hotel as the Princess overnight tour. We had a driver and guard along with Hany. His prices are much better than the cruise ship.

The second time we cruised to Egypt (last year) we did not go to Cario but I emailed Hany for a tour of Alexandria. Again we had a wonderful time. The passengers who joined us really thought it was a wonderful tour and again we saw more than the ships tours.

One word of warming. Be very careful of what you eat. I got sick. But I got sick on another cruise this fall. Now I travel with prescriptions from my own doctor.

Hope you enjoy you cruise

Pam

What this says is that if you cancel the booking more than 30 days before the cruise it is not refundable.

The second part says that if you cancel within 30 days of the voyage, the cancellation fees will show up on your onboard account.

Archived