If you could only do one.....

faith177

At each port you are only allowed to eat at one place, do one activity and go to one beach where would you go?

Kona

1. place to eat: Manago Hotel (pork chops)

2. activity: City of Refuge

3. beach: same place or just next door

Renee (displaced local girl)

Can't wait to see everyone's answers...having trouble coming up with mine since I haven't been since 2008, but I'll have some better answers come May. :)

I did very much enjoy touring & eating at Hawaii Vanilla Co. on the Big Island.

1) I don't get the eating out in ports when you have just a good specialty dinner options on board which we only eat at. Exception would be a Luau.

2) Helicopter Tour over Kuaui. Just spectacular. Second choice whale watch Ma'alaea with PWF. Third would be another vote for House Of Refuge.

3) No beach as there is just too much to see and do even on b2b cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
At each port you are only allowed to eat at one place, do one activity and go to one beach where would you go?

2. activity

3. beach

I consider this very unrealistic touring for me, and would never consider it.

Why one activity? With a rental car- so much of Hawaii, is simple drive up attraction. Possible to have several "activities" in a single day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Renting a car at Maui, Kauai, and Honolulu (Disembarkation) is definitely the way to go. Kona and Hilo not so much as there is more ground to cover.

I am also going to cheat a bit as POA overnighters allow for more creativity.

Honolulu (assuming you arrive the day before) - Pearl Harbor/USS Missouri if you haven't been. Rental car to North Shore around the east coast of Oahu. Food: anyplace that serves a proper plate lunch.

Maui: Road to Hana/Sunrise Haleakala Bike/Lahania/Ka'anapali Beach. Yes, it can be done on the overnight POA.

Kona: loved the Zodiac snorkel and the italian place right across from the tender. Hapuna Beach would be my pick if you're looking for a beach day. But I would wait for...

Kauai: Poipu Beach, lunch at Brennake's grill. Car ride sunset to Ke'e Beach. Second day Na Pali coast or Wimea Canyon. Not really enough time for a proper trip to either.

Honolulu (disembarkation): rent a car and go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet get leis, tshirts and other stuff for people back home at a fraction of the retail prices.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Renting a car at Maui, Kauai, and Honolulu (Disembarkation) is definitely the way to go. Kona and Hilo not so much as there is more ground to cover.

Honolulu (assuming you arrive the day before) - Pearl Harbor/USS Missouri if you haven't been. Rental car to North Shore around the east coast of Oahu. Food: anyplace that serves a proper plate lunch.

Maui: Road to Hana/Sunrise Haleakala Bike/Lahania/Ka'anapali Beach. Yes, it can be done on the overnight POA.

Kona: loved the Zodiac snorkel and the italian place right across from the tender. Hapuna Beach would be my pick if you're looking for a beach day. But I would wait for...

Kauai: Poipu Beach, lunch at Brennake's grill. Car ride sunset to Ke'e Beach. Second day Na Pali coast or Wimea Canyon. Not really enough time for a proper trip to either.

Honolulu (disembarkation): rent a car and go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet get leis, tshirts and other stuff for people back home at a fraction of the retail prices.

Both Hilo and Kona are superb for car rentals, with plenty to see and do. Have you done this? (and instead preferred a formal tour?)

cr8tiv1: Right with you on the Kona stuff. I still have memories of those pork chops from my first visit to the Big Island way back in the early 80s.

since I just did Oahu a few month ago:

food: Marukame Noodle House on Kuhio in Waikiki.

activity: do the drive through the North Shore and then down the middle of the island.

beach: Lanikai (if you can get a parking spot) or Kailua (if you can't get one). You gotta get off the highway in Kailua and drive the town streets to get to these - not that far apart.

Both Hilo and Kona are superb for car rentals, with plenty to see and do. Have you done this? (and instead preferred a formal tour?)

PH and car rental to North Shore were on separate trips.

Maui and Kauai were both done on a single POA overnight. Second day trip to Wimea Canyon was only to the overlook.

As for Big Island, we done the circumnavigation of the island in one full day. It took about 12 hrs with shorts stops for helicopter ride, VNP, black sand beach, and south point, but that was a land based trip.

On POA, we decided that since we had one day on each half of the island, renting a car wasn't for us as there were NCL tours we liked. Did the zodiac snorkel in Kona and the lava field hike in Hilo. Both were highlights for our cruise.

I would rent a car only if I wanted to maximize time at VNP in Hilo or the beach in Kona. Private excursion companies are plentiful in both ports if you choose to go that route. Just know that except for snorkel/sail tours off the Kona pier there will be considerable driving involved.

I would rent a car only if I wanted to maximize time at VNP in Hilo or the beach in Kona. Private excursion companies are plentiful in both ports if you choose to go that route. Just know that except for snorkel/sail tours off the Kona pier there will be considerable driving involved.

I disagree- but it depends on what your "significant" is. about 45 minutes- is nothing, and that takes you to coffee farms, Place of Refuge, Seahorse Aquarium etc, which all can be easily done in a day- adding as well, several hours of snorkeling. I have done this many times.

I always fly into Kona with my trips greatly enjoy my extended time. There are many touring options available. Some may not want to be limited to a single tour selection.

• 2 weeks later...
On Maui breakfast buffet at the four seasons, followed by beach exploration at any of the nearby beaches, then visit Iao valley state park or if time/weather permitting go to Haleakala.

I'm still trying to figure out how we can get to the Four Seasons in time for breakfast. We went there several years ago, and it was the best breakfast buffet we ever won't to for both the food and service. We tender in to Maui, and I'm afraid we'll be too late.

• 2 months later...

Archived