For Those That Have Flown British Airways Lately...

We will be flying to Europe this summer to sail on Carnival Liberty and using British Airways and was wondering how strict they are about the weight of their carry-on luggage in economy? I'm worried about bringing back items that are breakable so I would like to bring them on with me but we are restricted to a 13 pound limit. I've never had my carry-on luggage weighed when I have flown before but have never flown BA. I know that they charge extra for checked-in luggage but do you know what happens if your carry-on weighs over the limit? Also, do you know if we are allowed one bag and a purse or in my husband's case a bag and a camera bag? Thanks for your help and thanks for the wealth of information everyone has supplied to these boards, it has helped with my plans immensely!

Based on myself and my colleague I would say they have never weighed our carry-on. I would assume if you were dragging something behind you that looked like it contained lead weights and you needed 2 people to put it in the overhead bin, you might arouse suspicion. But if it weighed 18 pounds instead of 13 i would say you are fine.

Having been on two BA flights from the US to London over the past two years, I can tell you that they weigh each piece of checked luggage, but paid no attention to the weight, size, or number of carry on bags. Though this benefits the passenger, I can tell you that my wife got seriously injured on a BA flight two years ago when someone attempted to pull down an obviously overweight carry on bag from the overhead bin and it fell out of their hand, hitting my wife in the head. The pilot told us that the airline was not liable, but even though they have a policy and signs posted indicating a 13 pound limit, they don't bother to check. So, I would say that you can likely carry on whatever you want, as long as you can lift it. Just be careful!

btw, my wife was in significant pain throughout the remainder of the overseas flight, suffered a severely sprained neck from the incident and was taken from the plane by ambulance upon arrival in the US. BA personnel were rude, of little assistance, and offered no compensation, other than to pay her medical bills which were covered by my travel insurance.

Ouch...sorry to hear about your wife and hopefully she has recovered. I plan on being reasonable but just in case I'm a little over I just wanted to make sure it won't be a problem. Thanks for all your responses and Globaliser thanks for your reply on the other thread...I replied to you there also!

We just flew BA into Barcelona for our Med cruise, and for the first time, we saw the gate agents walking through the lounge area and picking up hand-carried baggage to guess-timate the weight. They said they were doing this because the flight was full (although I don't know what different that would make). Anyway, they made quite a few people check their bags through -- mostly the roll-aboard bags -- and they said there was a weight limit for carry-on bags. Maybe check the BA web site for luggage restrictions.

They said they were doing this because the flight was full (although I don't know what different that would make). Anyway, they made quite a few people check their bags through -- mostly the roll-aboard bags -- and they said there was a weight limit for carry-on bags.
This is probably because they want to make sure that everyone gets a fair chance to use the space on the aircraft, whether they board first or last. They will therefore hit the bags that look like they're over the limit, either for size or weight.

The OP knows the limits, but in case anyone else is wondering, they're as follows:-

The cabin allowance (carry on hand baggage) is now determined by the class of service travelled:

Please note:Overall dimensions refers to the overall size of the bag which is calculated by the length added to the width added to the height. e.g. 12 inches + 12 inches + 12 inches = 36 inches overall.

First passengers are permitted two pieces of baggage. The first may be either a bag or a garment carrier, neither to exceed 46 inches (115cms) in overall dimensions. The second bag should not be more than 40 inches in overall dimensions. The total combined weight of both pieces is not to exceed 18 kilos (40 pounds) and the individual weight of each piece must not exceed 9 kilos (20 pounds).

Club World and Club Europe passengers are permitted the same allowance except that the total combined weight may not exceed 18 kilos (40 pounds) and the individual weight of each piece must not exceed 9 kilos (20 pounds). Club Europe passengers may be asked to stow their smaller bag under the seat in front of them.

World Traveller Plus passengers (Premier Economy) are permitted two pieces, but the total combined weight is not to exceed 12 kilos (26 pounds) and the individual weight of each piece must not exceed 9 kilos (20 pounds).

World Traveller (Economy), Euro Traveller (Economy) and UK Domestic passengers are limited to one piece, per person, not to exceed 46 inches in overall dimensions and 6 kilos (13 pounds) in weight.

Any passengers traveling in two classes on a through-journey will be allowed the greater allowance for the entire journey.

- A mans or womans purse may be carried in addition to the allowance listed.

- A computer bag would count as one carry on bag.

- Large bags of duty free merchandise would also count as a carry on item.

We just flew BA into Barcelona for our Med cruise, and for the first time, we saw the gate agents walking through the lounge area and picking up hand-carried baggage to guess-timate the weight. They said they were doing this because the flight was full (although I don't know what different that would make). Anyway, they made quite a few people check their bags through -- mostly the roll-aboard bags -- and they said there was a weight limit for carry-on bags. Maybe check the BA web site for luggage restrictions.

I suspect because of the overhead space would be full and if people are taking on bigger bags as carry-on they will take up more space in the bins.

Also as the other poster pointed out someone (his wife in this case) could get injured in the mad rush to get their luggage from the overheads so they can stand and wait for the cabin doors to open.

I know our carry-was weighed coming back from London.

How is BA overall in coach for comfort? Thanks!

Longhaul

The seats are much like any other economy class seats. The pitch is pretty standard at around 31", but obviously that's less than airlines like AA that have put in deeper pitch (however long that may last, as it's being changed back). They have headrest wings of a novel and good design: They hinge and swing downwards, so that they don't fold back flat when you put the weight of your head on them. They also have footrests, although anyone who's more than about 5'6" tall may find them of little use.

There's an individual seatback TV for every passenger. Headphones are provided free. Each seat is issued a blanket and pillow as standard. A small amenity pack is also given out to each seat (same pack as headphones) containing eyeshades and a toothbrush. Drinks are complimentary, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. On a trans-Atlantic flight, you'll get served a hot meal at the beginning of the flight and a light meal at the end (continental breakfast on an overnight eastbound, tea and cakes on a daylight westbound). Plus there are snacks available all through the flight.

Shorthaul

Depending on when you check in and what you're allocated, you may find yourself in even more comfort in shorthaul as a large proportion of most cabins are convertible between Club Europe (business class, usually 2-3 across) and Euro Traveller (economy class, usually 3-3 across). This means that the convertible rows are fixed at the business class pitch, so you may well be in a 3-3 row with the extra legroom. These seats are upholstered in leather, too.

Food and drink (incl alcohol) are included in the fare, although the non-mealtime food servings have been getting smaller and smaller. But if you're particularly hungry, there are often spares you can ask for.

No inflight entertainment, but the newer Airbus aircraft have the Airshow on the dropdown screens.

Hope this helps. As you can probably tell, I fly BA a lot and have found no reason to change to any of the competition, except where Qantas flies.

Archived