Wigs

sherilyn70

Soon I will be needing to purchase a wig, my insurance has no price restriction on it so I'm starting out my search now for a good, high quality wig to use for the next months (or however long needed beyond that). My insurance company has no direct resource to use so I just need to file a request to have them cover it once I find a company I would like to use. I know there are a few people here who have needed them or used them before so I'm looking for some advice. Does anyone have any recommendation on companies, styles, care, etc?

Edited by sherilyn70

Not sure I can be of much help except to tell you when I needed one I found a local wig salon thru my hairdresser. That might be a resource for you. I must have tried on 20 wigs before I found one I truly liked. It did need a little trimming up so my hairdresser took care of that. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input so far... this has all happened so fast that I haven't had a lot of time to really think about it yet. It's been just under a month since I went to the doctor for leg pain and now it's looking like I will probably start chemo in a week with radiation to follow immediately after. I've cut off most of my hair already to help lessen the shock but the hairdresser I went to wasn't much help in suggesting wig support (and you'd think a higher end salon with very experienced staff would be a little more knowldegable in that). I've been so busy going from doctor to doctor and test after test that I haven't had a chance to find a local support group yet, that's next on my list.

Many Prayers and well wishes !! My family has been more than touched by cancer its more like they were run over by the cancer steam roller :eek:. So I say in all seriousness you have my prayers !

Wish I could say about the wigs but most of my aunts didn't wear them just a scarf as they found the wigs too itchy and hot with no hair under it.

Wishing you the best possible outcome of your treatment--a smooth, swift, and complete recovery.

When I was a hospital Social Worker (although not on oncology), the oncology treatment area (and especially the SW) had lots of information about resources.

If your insurance will cover it with no price range, you could get a very nice human hair wig, or whatever you choose. Just an FYI, you can contact your local Cancer Society and they can tell you who to call for free wigs. I am a hair stylist and volunteer for the "Look Good Feel Good" program through them. There are bi-monthly gatherings in our area for women going through cancer treatment. Wigs and cosmetics are donated to the Cancer Society from high end companies, and we help teach the women how to apply make-up, and how to select and style a wig, or other head covering. So far I have only seen brand new, name brand wigs, and the make-up is always brand new. Everything is free.

Sorry to hear of your illness. My MIL needed a wig and the people at the store where breast prosthesis are fitted and sold were the most helpful for her. See if you have something like that in your town and use them as a resource for information. Best of luck!:)

Sherilyn, I don't really know what is happening with your health...only what you have shared here. I don't know if you have shared in other places on the forum. An old college friend has been dealing with leukemia and he has used the following site to keep friends and family in the loop...and provide a central location for related communication. I don't know if you have heard of it before...just wanted to share because, as a person somewhat removed from the immediate situation, but wanting very much to be informed, it has been very helpful:

http://www.caringbridge.org/

I don't have any recommendations re: wigs. Have you thought about scarves, too? I bet there is a lot of information regarding using them in fashionable ways. When my friend lost his hair, he is in MN...and he had longish, thick, curly hair...his head was cold, so he invested in a really fun and fantastic hat. It might be a good idea to have an alternative to a wig around. This looked like an interesting site to explore:

http://www.headcovers.com/

I never thought about possibly losing eyebrows and eyelashes...this site also addresses this.

It's so strange to "know" you through the forum...I've read about your personal success in losing weight in various threads. I do pray for you. I hope that you can find a local support group and can recover quickly and overcome this challenge and regain your good health.

Sherilyn,

I can't help regarding wigs but want to wish you the very best. Please let us know how you are doing and come here for some fun when you are up to it.

Hopefully you have a speedy return to good health. :)

Sherilyn,

My best wishes to you. This is something I can share my experience with you and hopefully give you some insight.

I've had cancer for five years now, in fact I was diagnosed on Valentines Day five years ago. I've had over 150 chemo treatments, many prayers and by The Grace of God I'm still alive!

I had beautiful long hair, and was very lucky that my chemo treatments used a chemo that only thinned it out, that was until last October when the cancer spread further and they put me on a new drug and then it began falling out in huge clumps so I shaved it off. Wow, it was so traumatic for me. Upset me more than I thought it would. Was proud of myself though for taking control and shaving it a la Demi Moore in GI Jane.....!

However, off I went to a very good local wig and hair salon to try on wigs. It is really worth doing this first to get an idea of how things look on you. I bought three wigs that day. The staff were used to cancer patients and gave me such good advice, and also customized one wig to my head shape. However - in retrospect I should have just bought ONE!

I say this because others are right, the darn things are hot and itchy. The hot part is ok at first because you have no idea how cold your head will be. I even sleep in knit hats at night! Chemo can affect your internal temperature too, so I am always cold. My head especially is always cold.

During the day and at home I wear a little stretch cap and then tie a scarf over it, that stops it from slipping. I already had a huge dressy scarf collection being a Fashionista so I had fun trying different looks and matching scarves to outfits. I also love little knit hats but don't go out in them.

However going out for dinner or out with my husband I still like to have hair. You might have fun like I did on wigs.com. They are so inexpensive compared to the wig shops...you can get some funky looks. Now I mostly wear one from there that looks like Storm (Halle Berry) in the movies....it's silver and black and I wear it everywhere and get so many compliments on it. The three that I spent so much on don't get nearly the wear that one does.

Real hair as someone mentioned is wonderful, but does have to be curled and styled like your own hair. I got synthetic, and they are so good now, with natural scalps you would be surprised...because I don't want to send time fixing my hair. I am sick now so much from the continuus chemo that just sticking the wig on is freedom!

My latest purchase is an adorable 1930's style beaded flapper headress! Going to find some place to wear that to...thinking our cruise to the Carribean might just do it as the beads are cool not itchy and it will be hot there!

God Bless you and I hope some if this is helpful to you.

Cheers

Terry

Thank you everyone once again. I started having problems with leg/hip about 1 1/2 years ago and unfortunately we missed the true cause the first time around. We did x-rays, ultrasounds and I went to physical therapy and I seemed to be getting better so we never pursued the problem any further or did an MRI. As winter came and cold set in I started getting worse again and then started going numb in the leg all the way down to my knee. I went for an MRI to see if something was compressing my spine and that is when they found an extremely large mass on one of my muscles. It didn't show up a year ago in the other tests because it was so deep in the muscle tissue. I have a soft tissue cell sarcoma, more specifically Leiomyosarcomas. Even after my PET scan we are not 100% certain if it has or hasn't spread, there is a very small spot on one lung that is suspect but could also be many other things. They're not investingating it further at this time because chemo is in the plans no matter what. The mass is so large that we can't operate to remove it unless we get it to shrink. I am at risk of losing my right leg permanently but I can live with that if that is what is needed to save my life. It is currently cutting off blood circulation and damaging the nerves. I get the final answer next Tuesday about the finalized plan of action and then they hope to have me started on chemo asap after that appointment.

Terry, thank you so much for sharing your story. I can't begin to imagine enduring 5 years of chemo like you have. I hope that the new treatment will help you with beating it for good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on the wigs, I have heard that they are hot and itchy and that most days aren't wanted to be bothered with. I lost my mother to this same rare (but supposedly not hereditary) cancer and never really asked her questions about things like this because it honestly never crossed my mind that I would someday be in the same situation. My husband and I have discussed me getting a cobalt blue wig... I've always wanted to go blue. :) I've also looked at a few halo type wigs and some hats and scarves from the american cancer societies wig collections.

This is where my sister purchased hers. She absolutely loved it. Prices are not bad either. She got the "long hair" one from the Jaquelin Smith line.

http://www.paulayoung.com/category/wigs/human+hair+wigs.do

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the link. I have been considering a wig for cruising. I look like a drowned rat after snorkeling. My hair is long, so it takes time to restyle it.

Prayers are with you Sherilyn. It was a shock to read your post as I have read your other posts recently. I have had 4 types of cancer (one was only skin), but I was blessed to not have had chemo.

Just happened to read your post and wanted to wish you good luck with your cancer treatment. I have two very close friends who had very little hope of recovery with their types of cancer and both are well and thriving after their chemo, so embrace your chemo therapy, it is a chance for you to get well! Your hair will grow back! Just stay positive, and my prayers are with you.

Reading your post has gotten me worried.I have had hip/leg problems for a couple of months.Xrays show back issues but chiro and exercises are not helping.I go back to my dr the end of the month and I will insist on an MRI.

Best of luck with your chemo and stay strong!

Laura

Reading your post has gotten me worried.I have had hip/leg problems for a couple of months.Xrays show back issues but chiro and exercises are not helping.I go back to my dr the end of the month and I will insist on an MRI.

Best of luck with your chemo and stay strong!

The radiation oncologist I went to last week said the same thing about her husband. He keeps going to the chiropractor instead of a regular doctor and hasn't had an MRI done even though she's told him to do it. I told her to feel free to tell him that I said to go get it done now, she pointed out that my cancer is such a rare type that it's highly unlikely it's the cause for other people pains if similar. But she still recomends going and getting that MRI done.

Edited by sherilyn70

Just a quick update... I'm starting an intensive chemo treatement on Tuesday (it requires 6 days in the hospital every 3 weeks) so I will definitely be needing a wig soon. I plan on going to a local shop on Saturday to see how they fit and try and get used to the idea.

Just a quick update... I'm starting an intensive chemo treatement on Tuesday (it requires 6 days in the hospital every 3 weeks) so I will definitely be needing a wig soon. I plan on going to a local shop on Saturday to see how they fit and try and get used to the idea.

Best wishes for quick recovery. Check in when you feel well enough and let us know you're doing ok. :)

Best wishes for a quick recovery. I went thru chemo almost 5 years ago ( this June will be my 5 year cancer free mark) of course that was for breast cancer. You are getting a more intense treatment from the sounds of it. Try to keep your spirits up (I know it can be difficult). WHen you can check back and let us know how you are making out. I will keep you in my prayers.