Where to find free food

Matt44

Anywhere except the specialty restaurants and bistro 5.:D

or The Porch

Free Food? Hmmm.... Costco comes to mind - they have free samples almost every afternoon.

I've never had free food on a cruise ship since I never had a free cruise.

Why does it annoy me when people feel the need to point out the technicality by which food isn't "free" but rather "included?" Surely you did not think the OP really meant that he wanted to board the ship without paying for a cruise, find a free lunch, and then leave? No. Pretty sure it's safe to say that when people say free, they mean included at no additional charge. :rolleyes:

Having said that and if you want to be technical, then unless you are getting your annual Costco membership for free, then the "free" samples you get in the afternoon aren't really free either, are they? :D

What is the earliest one can get room service on embarkation day?

Just wonderin'..............

Thanks!

Good question. I would suspect that you would need to wait at least till dinner (or supper or evening meal or whatever you call it) time.

On embarkation day, the Oceanview Cafe (buffet area) becomes a zoo. people pushing and shoving and loading up their plates and spreading themselves and their carry ons all over.

The best $5 you will ever spend will be waiting for your cabin to be ready at the Bistro on 5 enjoying a pannini or crepe. No crowds, no noise, just sit back and enjoy a meal. We head there each time we get on board.

...Having said that and if you want to be technical, then unless you are getting your annual Costco membership for free, then the "free" samples you get in the afternoon aren't really free either, are they? :D

OMG! You're Right! :eek:

I guess it's true that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Good question. I would suspect that you would need to wait at least till dinner (or supper or evening meal or whatever you call it) time.

On embarkation day, the Oceanview Cafe (buffet area) becomes a zoo. people pushing and shoving and loading up their plates and spreading themselves and their carry ons all over.

The best $5 you will ever spend will be waiting for your cabin to be ready at the Bistro on 5 enjoying a pannini or crepe. No crowds, no noise, just sit back and enjoy a meal. We head there each time we get on board.

You will not be able to get anything from Room Service prior to the boat drill. Two other places you can eat as stated are Bistro and also the Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium. Just an FYI, the secret on Bistro on 5 is out, not necessarily uncrowded or not busy anymore on emabarkation day.

You will not be able to get anything from Room Service prior to the boat drill. Two other places you can eat as stated are Bistro and also the Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium. Just an FYI, the secret on Bistro on 5 is out, not necessarily uncrowded or not busy anymore on emabarkation day.

The Porch on Reflection is also open for lunch on embarkation day, $5 surcharge but the paninis are pretty good and the desserts looked good too.

You are right of course, the bistro will be full of CC members.:D

What a shame, we met acouple that had a similar situation. They were eating room service as they thought they would be charged in the MDR, it was five nights in before they mentioned something to us one afternoon about it. we put them straight but they felt very silly.:D

Dear god !!

Just want to clarify, the food in the venues listed isn't "free", it's included in your fare.

And although you can get pretty much any food through Room Service, it's suggested that you tip in cash --- between a couple of bucks for a small meal to $5 for a bunch of stuff.

I, too, sort of had to giggle at that - free food. :D None of the food is free . However, I do understand what the OP meant. Maybe the term should have been inclusive with the fare for the cruise?:rolleyes:

Bistro on 5 ( $5 pp charge) is a great place for an embarkation lunch. You can relax there until rooms are ready, and the food is great.

I would totally agree with this. In Jan. on Silhouette DH and I had lunch on embarkation day in Bistro on 5 and had delicious crepes and great service. It was only $5 for unlimited food...totally worth it. It was very calm and serene there.

I, too, sort of had to giggle at that - free food. :D None of the food is free . However, I do understand what the OP meant. Maybe the term should have been inclusive with the fare for the cruise?:rolleyes:

Maybe the food is free? The accommodation is just very expensive!

I have to say that I grin every time I look down the page onscreen and see the title of this thread. Not at the semantics of whether certain venues provide "free food" or not, but just with the thought that someone might worry whether they would be able to find sufficient food options on a cruise ship--the problem for me is where I can go onboard to AVOID the temptations of "included" food options! :D

I have to say that I grin every time I look down the page onscreen and see the title of this thread. Not at the semantics of whether certain venues provide "free food" or not, but just with the thought that someone might worry whether they would be able to find sufficient food options on a cruise ship--the problem for me is where I can go onboard to AVOID the temptations of "included" food options! :D

You are right of course. I don't pick cruises on how much time off I need anymore, but by how much weight I can afford to put on. 7 days = 3 kgs, 14 days = 6 kgs.:eek:

Oh gosh, you and me both. The title of this thread cracks me up! I love it. It brings to mind an image of passengers scavenging and foraging...:D:D

Having said that and if you want to be technical, then unless you are getting your annual Costco membership for free, then the "free" samples you get in the afternoon aren't really free either, are they?

If you bring your children or guest with you to Costco, and if they eat then they are getting the food for free :p

Oh gosh, you and me both. The title of this thread cracks me up! I love it. It brings to mind an image of passengers scavenging and foraging...:D:D

Agreed!

Though as it's without a question mark, I thought it was going to be a helpful thread with some tips, but given the title sounded like the Useful Hints from Mad magazine :-)

Archived