Capri pants on formal night

before I get flammed for this post let me explain. we're leaving on the Sovereign this weekend and I am sooooooo tired and I really don't feel like taking a gown and shoes for the formal night. so here's my plan:

I have a pair of black travel knit capri pants from Coldwater Creek that i plan to wear with a black/silver "sparkly" top. Of course I'll dress it up with nice earrings and black strappy sandals.

Okay gang what do you think, too casual?

DH is taking his tux his reasoning is that it wouldn't take up any more room in our luggage than a suit would.

I'm not one to flame anyone here, as I would not like it done to me. I would have to say no to your capri length pants, just too casual. Especially since your DH is wearing the tux. No matter how much you dress up capri length pants, they are still too casual. I don't even wear them on a semi-casual night, just too sporty for me.

There are far more important issues in life and if you cannot bring yourself to dress up, don't do it. Even though I would not advise this type of outfit, I realise there are personal reasons for everything and I try my best not to judge.

Hi:) The Sovereign of the Seas is usually 3 or 4 nights. I sailed her 2 summers ago and the dress code is less casual than a 7 nighter.

But I agree with Kathy. I didn't wear capri's on the formal night (I went on a 3 nighter) and there was 1 formal night.

I didn't get as dressed up as I do on Celebrity but I didn't wear capris either.

I am trying to think back. I remember what I wore.....it was a nice pants suit. Black slacks and a black and red oriental style top. It had a Mandarin collar with a small black print against the red background. I wore onyx and mother of pearl earrings and dressy black sandels.

That is probably an outfit I would wear on an "Informal Night" on Celebrity but I felt totally appropriate on the Soveriegn for their particular formal night.

No flames from me either. And you definitely do not need to wear a formal~but I do think a nice pair slacks and that sparkly top would be more appropriate.

Agree with the above posts. With your husband in a tux, you'd look a little out of place in capris.

Can he switch from the tux to a suit?

Can you switch the capris to a full length skirt?

Do you have any comfortable formals?

Raytownlady,

Sounds like you really need this vacation!!

I have to agree with the above posters, but it sounds as if shopping for a new outfit might just do you in. If you happen to have a longer-length black skirt in your closet, throw that in your suitcase with your sparkly top and some nice black shoes and I think you will be good to go.

If you don't have an alternative already or the energy to shop for something new, and don't want to worry about feeling out of place on formal night, consider a romantic evening in with your DH, room service, a bottle of wine and a stroll on the deck. Sounds like with the way you are feeling right now, the less obligation the better!

Perhaps you should talk to the DH and have him dress a bit more casually, too. There are times in our lives when everything is so overwhelming, it's just not worth stressing out over something that isn't that important to you. Don't worry what other people will say, think, or do, this vacation break is for you. If it's too much to plan, don't worry so much.

Have a wonderful cruise and relax, it sounds like you need it!

I know you see more and more the capri length pants in dress materials but to me they still seem more like picnic wear or perhaps a dinner somewhere like Olive Garden-still not dressy enough for a really nice restuarant-but that is just my opinion.

But the capris you describe are not even in a dressy material. Now on Sovereign because it is a mini cruise-people do not go as formal but still I would wear something at least equal to what I would wear to a nice wedding.

Right now in the stores you see all kinds of really pretty silk and poly silk dresses in that filmy flowing material and often they are less then $50 even at Dilliards. Those are comfortable-you could wear a pair of strappy sandals with them-no need to wear a lot of jewlery a pair of cz studs would be fine and no need to wear hose either-just put a little self tanner on your legs if you are not tan and a little polish on your toes. You would look gorgeous and that really would not be a lot of trouble.

Another thing you could do is substitute a skirt in a dressy fabric for the capris. The top sounds fine and a skirt is just as comfortable as a pair of capris.

thanks for all of your replies.

I knew that I could count on you fashionistas. Well, I'm going to Coldwater Creek over lunch to return the capris and exchange them for the travel knit skirt, or I'll just wear the top with my pair of black flyaway pants.

before I get flammed for this post let me explain. we're leaving on the Sovereign this weekend and I am sooooooo tired and I really don't feel like taking a gown and shoes for the formal night. so here's my plan:

I have a pair of black travel knit capri pants from Coldwater Creek that i plan to wear with a black/silver "sparkly" top. Of course I'll dress it up with nice earrings and black strappy sandals.

Okay gang what do you think, too casual?

DH is taking his tux his reasoning is that it wouldn't take up any more room in our luggage than a suit would.

No flaming from me but the outfit is not formal enough. That is something to wear on the non-formal night. I just got back from a cruise and people were dressed up on formal night.

Archived