Wine prices

smalltownmomwa

Note: They have a list and know exactly what your suitcase contains so don't try to say you have three bottles when you have 10.

IF you have wine in your checked bag and it does make it to your cabin with out being detected AND you decide to drink that bottle in any dining room, speciality restaurant or bar/lounge, you will be charged the corkage fee at that point.

I guess we lucked out on the Dawn. We brought 11 bottles on board in our luggage and my husband was called to the Naughty Room to pick up our bags. He pulled out 6 bottles, paid $90 in corkage fees, and they put stickers on those bottles. As we emptied those six bottles, we transferred the stickers to the remaining five bottles in our cabin.

We'll take 11 bottles again on the Sun in April. If we have to pay $165 in corkage fees, that's fine. Or maybe we'll get lucky again. ;)

Thank you fro posting the wine menu and being new to NCL I am impressed at their pricing IMO very reasonable compared to land restaurants and other cruise lines. We are red wine drinkers and the selection of reds are reasonably priced. I found several labels that we also had on HAL and they are about $10 a bottle less on NCL than HAL. The biggest outrage I see on cruise lines is Beringer White Zinfandel (we never drink this wine). This wine can be bought for less then $5 in wine stores and on our last HAL cruise it was $39 a bottle,:eek: NCL has it for $28, still a ridiculous price but better than HAL and X. The wine packages look very reasonable too with good reds available and may have me rethinking how much of my own wine I will bring on my first NCL cruise later this year. The The Aficionado wine package has some nice reds that cost retail in the $12-15 range and the 6 bottles package comes out to $24 a bottle so this is a better deal than bringing my own wine aboard and paying the corkage fee.

Thank you fro posting the wine menu and being new to NCL I am impressed at their pricing IMO very reasonable compared to land restaurants and other cruise lines. We are red wine drinkers and the selection of reds are reasonably priced. I found several labels that we also had on HAL and they are about $10 a bottle less on NCL than HAL. The biggest outrage I see on cruise lines is Beringer White Zinfandel (we never drink this wine). This wine can be bought for less then $5 in wine stores and on our last HAL cruise it was $39 a bottle,:eek: NCL has it for $28, still a ridiculous price but better than HAL and X. The wine packages look very reasonable too with good reds available and may have me rethinking how much of my own wine I will bring on my first NCL cruise later this year. The The Aficionado wine package has some nice reds that cost retail in the $12-15 range and the 6 bottles package comes out to $24 a bottle so this is a better deal than bringing my own wine aboard and paying the corkage fee.

I was just comparing prices for the Wine Connoisseur package and the price is $27 per bottle. The retail price of Spellbound, Petite Sirah is about $24 on wine.com and $42 if bought onboard outside of the package. I am sold we will be pre buying a wine package for our Jewel cruise.:D

If we buy the wine package are the bottles only for dinner? Can you get a bottle in one of the bars or shows to drink outside of the MDR? Also can you take any unused bottles home after the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I bring my un opened bottles home? I was looking at getting 2 bottles of wine but at $36 a pop it's cheaper to get the 4 bottle wine package making it 25 a bottle after gratuity. My at home bottle is $12 plus $15 corkage it's still cheaper to get the package but I will not finish 4 bottles on my own and BF doesn't drink wine (weirdo)

Can I bring my un opened bottles home? I was looking at getting 2 bottles of wine but at $36 a pop it's cheaper to get the 4 bottle wine package making it 25 a bottle after gratuity. My at home bottle is $12 plus $15 corkage it's still cheaper to get the package but I will not finish 4 bottles on my own and BF doesn't drink wine (weirdo)

Yes.

Not that I can afford to pay it, but depending on the vintage, the Opus One is about retail.

There's a table at check-in.

For the two buck chuck fans (Ok, these days three buck ..), I do not find it worthwhile to go through the trouble of paying 5-10 bucks for a cheap wine, pay the $15 when I can buy a wine package for about the same price. IIRC, the package we bought netted us wine for about $25 a bottle.

I'm not bothering hauling wine. To me, there is something wrong with buying cheap wine, adding the $15 just to drink cheap wine. Obviously, those that want to have that option.

Have a great day all.

We have not cruise on NCL in 10 years but have on many other lines. We usually purchase wine in port for $10-12, while this is not expensive it is not the cheapest wine which we often see on board marked up for $30 - $40 a bottle. So we would prefer to buy in port and pay the corking. Besides in European ports we enjoy some local wines.

Is there a way I can just label a wine carrier, with my stateroom number and direct NCL to deliver to my stateroom? I prefer not to have to "go" to the naughty room and pick it up. I would rather stipulate it on the outside of the box and have them deliver it directly to me.

any thoughts? ideas?

Is there a way I can just label a wine carrier, with my stateroom number and direct NCL to deliver to my stateroom? I prefer not to have to "go" to the naughty room and pick it up. I would rather stipulate it on the outside of the box and have them deliver it directly to me.

any thoughts? ideas?

NCL requires that you carry any wine with you when you board as you will be required to pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee at that time. Besides leaving any wine with the baggage handlers could result with broken bottles.

Looking to purchase a wine package on our Epic Med cruise June 2013. Is this facility still available after sail-away and out of the tax net of Spain.Otherwise it gets expensive ie. Basic cost plus local iva(vat or sales tax) plus gratuity. How far out into international waters do you have to get before the local tax on drinks is no longer charged?:confused:

Looking to purchase a wine package on our Epic Med cruise June 2013. Is this facility still available after sail-away and out of the tax net of Spain.Otherwise it gets expensive ie. Basic cost plus local iva(vat or sales tax) plus gratuity. How far out into international waters do you have to get before the local tax on drinks is no longer charged?:confused:

unfortunately because the epic doesnt call at a non european port Spanish VAT is payable throughout the cruise! came as a nasty surprise to cruisers last year

unfortunately because the epic doesnt call at a non european port Spanish VAT is payable throughout the cruise! came as a nasty surprise to cruisers last year

Is this something new?? :confused: I do not remember paying any VAT or sales tax on our X cruise from Barcelona 4 years ago. In fact there was a wine retail store at the terminal in Barcelona located between where we checked in and the boarding ramp to the ship. They had a nice selection of very reasonably priced Spanish wines and I do not remember paying any added taxes.:eek:

Thanks FAB----etc. I'll just have to raid the piggy bank a bit more. Mind you there is one wine on the list I know and it only comes out 3 times the store price back home so that can't be bad. By the way many thanks for the link to your cruise story.DW in mostly in a wheelchair nowadays so your determination was an encouragement to us:D

Is this something new?? :confused: I do not remember paying any VAT or sales tax on our X cruise from Barcelona 4 years ago. In fact there was a wine retail store at the terminal in Barcelona located between where we checked in and the boarding ramp to the ship. They had a nice selection of very reasonably priced Spanish wines and I do not remember paying any added taxes.:eek:

it only applies if the ship doesnt call at a non European port such as Gibraltar.As most itineries do include a least one such port it's not a problem.

As Epic only does a 7 day itinery and all ports are within Europe then international waters doesnt exist and so Spanish VAT is added throughout the cruise

there were several threads about this subject last year which probably explains it better than I have

Thanks FAB----etc. I'll just have to raid the piggy bank a bit more. Mind you there is one wine on the list I know and it only comes out 3 times the store price back home so that can't be bad. By the way many thanks for the link to your cruise story.DW in mostly in a wheelchair nowadays so your determination was an encouragement to us:D

cheers glad the link was helpful-will be cruising to Bermuda out of New York in August on the Breakaway so will be interesting to see what mobility challenges that will pose!

The plot thickens. See this link, I hope this applies and DW let's me have another glass or two google European Commission Directorate-General Taxation and Customs Union Tax Policy: Excise Duty Tables, Part I - Alcoholic Beverages, July 2012

So that's basic list price of the bottle of wine plus 21% VAT in Spain plus 15% gratuity on that total.--- Must sign the pledge!----:(

We did the wine package on the Epic and paid $167 for 6 bottles.....4 white and 2 red.....all very drinkable......but everyone has different tastes. I didn't think that was too bad....just under $28 a bottle.

If I recall correctly, the white wine was a Pinot Grigio and the red was a Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz.

I found a link on another thread (http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1739573#) which had an attachment that listed 3 wine packages:

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California ($29)

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia ($26)

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy ($30)

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France ($27)

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California ($24)

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia ($26)

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina ($29)

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California ($29)

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile ($29)

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia ($28)

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia ($33)

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California ($38)

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand ($31)

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California ($32)

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California ($38)

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California ($36)

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot – California ($31)

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California ($37)

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California ($44)

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California ($33)

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California ($43)

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California ($42)

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California ($40)

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

Is this still current? The individual bottle prices appear to be current when you compare them to the wine list on the NCL website.

Where are these packages purchased and is there any limitation to how many bottles in a package must be red vs. white?

Can you order the same bottle each time?

Thanks,

I found a link on another thread (http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1739573#) which had an attachment that listed 3 wine packages:

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California ($29)

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia ($26)

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy ($30)

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France ($27)

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California ($24)

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia ($26)

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina ($29)

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California ($29)

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile ($29)

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia ($28)

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia ($33)

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California ($38)

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand ($31)

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California ($32)

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California ($38)

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California ($36)

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot – California ($31)

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California ($37)

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California ($44)

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California ($33)

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California ($43)

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California ($42)

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California ($40)

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

Is this still current? The individual bottle prices appear to be current when you compare them to the wine list on the NCL website.

Where are these packages purchased and is there any limitation to how many bottles in a package must be red vs. white?

Can you order the same bottle each time?

Thanks,

I'm just bumping this up in hopes of getting an answer..:D

Thanks!!

Archived