Only HAL

cruiseguyforever

Hey cruiseguyforever I hope you're sitting down for this news: Carnival has never lost a ship at sea. HAL has a ship somewhere on the bottom of the ocean off the coast of Alaska.

This can happen to any ship, any size, any company, sailing on any ocean, at any time.

I have been on two HAL ships that lost power, one on the Volendam in 2008 in the middle of the Tasman Sea with 12- to 15-foot swells with an 'occasional larger one in the sequence', according to the Captain. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was a wild ride. We got sideways to the swells.

THEN when we got to our next port (Tasmania), there was a 'small fire in the engine room' as we were disembarking for a shore excursion. :eek: We heard the seven-short, one-long and looked at each other. We figured it was a drill. Then the crew doing the scanning/security came pounding up the stairs yelling "Not a drill!" just as the Captain announced that everyone needed to go ashore NOW. Thankfully it was small, quickly contained, and didn't even delay our departure for Melbourne that night.

It can happen on HAL, so don't kid yourself. We are still looking forward to our next cruise--next month on Carnival!

We were so grateful to hear that no one was hurt (unlike the lifeboat incident in Europe? that same day). I've also been pleased to see the praise for the crew.

Robin (One of the Carnival 'low lifes' the OP refers to--with 66 days on HAL)

I will only cruise HAL from now on. I will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Did you all see those poor people on that ship. None of them seemed to smart to start with and they still said it was not to bad. Carnival=low life cruise no thank you.

I no what you meen cruiseguyforever. Personaly I only cruise Silversea. I hang out on the HAL bored when Im slumming it.

Sorry, folks. I just couldn't resist. :D

I have been on two HAL ships that lost power, one on the Volendam in 2008 in the middle of the Tasman Sea with 12- to 15-foot swells with an 'occasional larger one in the sequence', according to the Captain. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was a wild ride. We got sideways to the swells.

THEN when we got to our next port (Tasmania), there was a 'small fire in the engine room' as we were disembarking for a shore excursion. :eek: We heard the seven-short, one-long and looked at each other. We figured it was a drill. Then the crew doing the scanning/security came pounding up the stairs yelling "Not a drill!" just as the Captain announced that everyone needed to go ashore NOW. Thankfully it was small, quickly contained, and didn't even delay our departure for Melbourne that night.

It can happen on HAL, so don't kid yourself. We are still looking forward to our next cruise--next month on Carnival!

We were so grateful to hear that no one was hurt (unlike the lifeboat incident in Europe? that same day). I've also been pleased to see the praise for the crew.

Thank you for your forthright views.

We too have lost power (not on HAL but possibly irrelevant)

Never had the situations that these passengers had.

I feel for thep people on this cruise.

I guess it can happen on any cruise - but IMO it shouldn't :rolleyes:

I no what you meen cruiseguyforever. Personaly I only cruise Silversea. I hang out on the HAL bored when Im slumming it.

please feel free

I'm really surprised that someone who sails this line can't spell the word board - sorry folks - I not that's verbatim on cc rules- but serioiusly:p:p:p

Good grief:eek: Well, I will resist the obvious. ;)

please feel free

I'm really surprised that someone who sails this line can't spell the word board - sorry folks - I not that's verbatim on cc rules- but serioiusly:p:p:p

Sorry you missed my use of irony, Kazu.... is there a smiley for it? Or wait - maybe I missed yours? LOL

Thank you for your forthright views.

We too have lost power (not on HAL but possibly irrelevant)

Never had the situations that these passengers had.

I feel for thep people on this cruise.

I guess it can happen on any cruise - but IMO it shouldn't :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't. But it does unfortunately. It is part of the 'risk' of cruising--which really doesn't seem risky at all until something like the Triumph incident occurs, and then we are all reminded we are on an actual ship and not just a floating hotel. :D

I do wonder about the cause of the Triumph fire, and if it is related to the propulsion issue it was having. That would not be good. And what will all cruiselines learn from this (like the balcony thing from the Star Princess fire) that will make us all safer when we cruise.

We go camping with our kids and use 'primitive facilities', so I'm no sissy, but I am sooooooooooooo thankful I was not aboard the Triumph.

Robin (who also cruised in one of the cabins on the Star Princess a couple of years before it burned in the fire :eek:)

Can't resist either. When you want to say I know something, it's not I no something.

I will only cruise HAL from now on. I will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Did you all see those poor people on that ship. None of them seemed to smart to start with and they still said it was not to bad. I for one am thankful I was not on the POOP ship of 2013. Carnival=low life cruise no thank you.

I'm surprised no has picked up on the bolded comment in your post. I find that quite offensive and ignorant.

And by the way, we had a fire on the Zuiderdam last year, fortunately contained quite quickly but it could have been a very, very bad situation.

I'm surprised no has picked up on the bolded comment in your post. I find that quite offensive and ignorant.

I did, startwin, hence my earlier retort in kind (spelling errors and all) to the OP, the sarcasm of which also seems to have been missed. :rolleyes:

I did, startwin, hence my earlier retort in kind (spelling errors and all) to the OP, the sarcasm of which also seems to have been missed. :rolleyes:

OK. Now I get it TOO. Your reply was TO highlight the TWO misuses of a word.

It was rather obscure so please don't be upset that people, upon first reading, took it as a slam against HAL cruisers. I know I did. Thank you for explaining.

I will only cruise HAL from now on. I will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Did you all see those poor people on that ship. None of them seemed to smart to start with and they still said it was not to bad. I for one am thankful I was not on the POOP ship of 2013. Carnival=low life cruise no thank you.

This seems just incredibly insensitive and rude to me. These poor people just suffered a very unpleasant few days, and your response is to judge them? How do you know if they are smart people or not?

I think I remember Bill S and his wife Virginia were on the Statendam when a fire broke out just after sailaway from Vancouver. They were towed back to Vancouver and the cruise was cancelled.

B

That was 2002 - although just overnight for the guests the crew put up with limited power and water for nearly 2 weeks until it was fixed. They even cooked food on the other HAL ships at Canada Place and took it across to them when she was berthed there. No hotels for them unlike the Carnival crew!

Wow ..me thinks you are yanking our chain ...if not, double Wow....Yes Virginia it would seem there are people that silly and insensitive in the world .How brave you are to taunt Neptune and the boys.

This seems just incredibly insensitive and rude to me. These poor people just suffered a very unpleasant few days, and your response is to judge them? How do you know if they are smart people or not?

I find it comical that the OP indicates the cruise line he's sailed so often is "low life". Really? :rolleyes:

I normally skip this type of post, but this one is pretty ridiculous.

From a thread on another forum. This was in response to a poster who put the blame on Italian built ships, but it is also informative for those who think fires only occur on Carnival ships.

Yes, those Italian made cruise ships are catching fire every other day it seems. :rolleyes:

- Adventure of the Seas (small, brief engine fire Nov. 13, 2012), built in Finland

- Allure of the Seas (small fire on April 20, 2012), built in Finland

- Azamara Quest (fire on March 31, 2012), built in France.

- MS Costa Allegra (fire on Feb. 27, 2012), built in Italy

- Bahamas Celebration (fire on Dec. 21, 2011), built in Germany

- Queen Mary II (fire on Oct. 5, 2011), built in France

- Ocean Star (fire on April 16, 2011), built in Finland

- MSC Musica (fire on Dec. 19, 2010), built in France

- Carnival Splendor (fire on Nov. 8, 2010), built in Italy

- Carnival Ecstasy (fire in 1988), built in Finland.

- Star Princess (fire on March 23, 2006), reportedly caused by smoldering cigarette

- MS Nordlys (fire on Sept. 15, 2011), built in Germany

- SS Norway (boiler explosion May 2003), built in France

- Wind Song (fire on Dec. 1, 2002), built in France

I found in interesting to read all the above comments. We have done 8 cruises on Holland and enjoyed them all, however, what happend to Carnival could happen to any cruise ship. We were on the Statendam on a cruise from Australia to Japan. The air conditioning went out, right at the Equator, but they got that repaired in 5 days. Then the main sewer pipe that goes throgh the center of the ship, vertically, broke. So it took almost a week to repair that as it had to be cut in sections and removed a piece at a time and then the new one put back the same way. Deck 6 was a little high, where the break was but, luckily, that was near the shopping area, not the cabins. Also, on that trip we were shorted supplies in Sydney, which were supposed to arrive in Auckland, but most didn't so we carried on and arranged for a suppy drop a Rabaul. However, when we got there, a local volcano decided to explode so, no planes could come in. We continued on our way but the next port where we were supposed to get supply wasn't until Okinawa. Things got a little thin near the end with little fresh fruit, but the funniest part was the last dinner before Okinawa. There were no menus in the dining room. The waiters came around to each table and simply said, "How would you like your ham done?" That was all they had left. But, we got a nice letter of apology and $1000 credit for our next cruise. We looked at is as an adventure with a story to tell.

By the way, Holland, Princess, Cunard, and Carnival are all built in the same shipyards in Italy to the same standards. In fact if you look at the actual specs of the various ships, not their physical appearance, you can see many of them are almost identical. So, the ships are all about equal. However, there are some differences in the crews and the training, Cosca Concordia, is a good example.

But, the best part of Holland, is that you can order a bottle of liquor, beer, or wine to your room at normal retail prices, or less, and you can bring aboard all the wine you can carry, if you like. No other cruise line offers this. No need to try to sneak booze on board on a Holland ship.

One other item. The underlying problem with the Carnival ship is its size. There is no way to handle 4000 people all at once and this really compounds a bad situation. That is one of the reasons we stick to HAL. The ships are smaller. Rescuing 1800 people is far different than 4000 or more. This hasn't really been dealt with by the industry and some line just keep building bigger ships. What if one of the really big ones with 5000 people has a disaster in the middle of the Atlantic? Can 5000 people get off in lifeboats? I don't know, it's never been done. And what do you rescue them with? And, you saw how difficult it was to tow this ship imagine a larger one across the Atlantic. Those are my concerns, not the actual ship or cruise line itself.

These big ships are top heavy and they roll over when mortally wounded, like the Concordia, and years ago, the Andrea Doria. So, only half the lifeboats are available. The Titanic had a low topside as did the old (and the new) Prisendam. Neither the Titanic or the Prisendam rolled over before they sank. All the lifeboats could be used. They weren't on the Titanic, but not because of ship design.

But, we can't do anything about any of this, so just enjoy the cruise. The chances of being hurt or killed are so small that it would be hard to even measure it.

And by the way, we had a fire on the Zuiderdam last year, fortunately contained quite quickly but it could have been a very, very bad situation.

I've got to agree with you on this. How could anyone remark on how intelligent they were? Gee. :cool:

Archived