Only HAL

cruiseguyforever

I will only cruise HAL from now on. I will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Did you all see those poor people on that ship. None of them seemed to smart to start with and they still said it was not to bad. I for one am thankful I was not on the POOP ship of 2013. Carnival=low life cruise no thank you.

I will only cruise HAL from now on. I will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Did you all see those poor people on that ship. None of them seemed to smart to start with and they still said it was not to bad. I for one am thankful I was not on the POOP ship of 2013. Carnival=low life cruise no thank you.

Curious as to what makes you so sure this could not happen on HAL :confused: Or any other cruise line for that matter?

Are you aware that Carnival Corporation owns Holland America?

It could happen on any ship at any time.

Realistically, this could have happened on any ship, even a HAL ship. I think the people on board tried to make the best of a VERY bad situation, a glass half full kind of reaction. I hope I would have the strength to look at a bad situation with as much kindness as many of the people on the Triumph seem to have viewed their plight.

A ship is a machine. Has moving parts. Nothing is perfect. Things wear out or break down. It could happen on any ship anywhere. It was unfortunate that it happened and I feel sorry for the people involved, but it is not a tragedy, not the end of the world. The passengers are all back now, no loss of life.

As I watched these people get off - I think they were so happy to be off that they were elated. So positive comments of course.

What impressed me was the positive attitudes that a lot of people had - they made the best of it - cudos to them - play crazy 8's for 8 hours a day (the children), read books, whatever - cudos to them all and the most cudos to the crew who worked in these deplorable conditions with a smile on their face.

There but for the grace of God.....

So thankful they are all getting home - I can't envision planning a cruise for over a year and having it end up like this and I pray to God it doesn't happen to us.

but we're still going;)

Hal does not cut corners on safety like Carnival does. And trust me they cut alot of corners. I would rather pay more for a safer ship.

Can you supply us with solid proof of this besides the recent media frenzy of inaccurate information. I would like to know where you came to this conclusion supporting both sides... Carnival cutting corners and HAL not cutting corners.

Yes but HAL has better ships that do not catch fire.
I was on a HAL ship once that had a fire. Luckily we were in port and it was quickly contained. Not the best feeling in the world to hear the alarms go off followed by the words "this is NOT a drill". The first cruise DH and I took was on the Prinsendam (I). That was the sailing immediately prior to the one where she caught fire, as previously mentioned. I don't have a clue as to why anyone would think HAL ships are immune from fire.

If I remember correctly, the Vista class ships share the same hull design as some of the Carnival ships. The commonality in design may continue in the mechanical spaces but maybe not. Anyway, we all put a lot of trust in mechanical things (airplanes for instance) including cruise ships and fortunately on ships a total power failure alone isn't a life threatening situation.

As I watched these people get off - I think they were so happy to be off that they were elated. So positive comments of course.

What impressed me was the positive attitudes that a lot of people had - they made the best of it - cudos to them - play crazy 8's for 8 hours a day (the children), read books, whatever - cudos to them all and the most cudos to the crew who worked in these deplorable conditions with a smile on their face.

There but for the grace of God.....

So thankful they are all getting home - I can't envision planning a cruise for over a year and having it end up like this and I pray to God it doesn't happen to us.

but we're still going;)

Amen to these statements!

We have been on 2 HAL cruises with fires onboard. Both resulted in "this is not a drill" announcements and a strong smell of smoke throughout the ship. The ships involved were the Maasdam and the Noordam. We were kept informed throughout the emergency. Fortunately in neither case was there an extended loss of power. This has not stopped us from sailing HAL - we are 4 star with 235 days. An emergency situation can happen at any time. The HAL crew is well-trained. As with any bad situation, there are those who will cope and make the best of a bad situation and those that will loudly complain and never be satisfied.

Yes but HAL has better ships that do not catch fire.

All HAL ships since Statendam have been built at Fincantieri Shipyard, outside Venice.

Princess ships have been built at Fincantieri.

Costa ships have been built at Fincantieri.

Carnival ships have been built at Fincantieri.

Archived