Loooking for a British Isles Cruiser

roothy123

I will be on Marina in late July/early August on the "Isles and Fjords" cruise out of Southampton. I have a few questions for someone who has done this cruise. The first one is, "Does Marina actually dock in South Queensferry (for Edinburgh), as is reflected on the itinerary?" I know Oceania ships, even Marina, are smaller than many cruise ships and therefore can dock at places that other ships can't. However, everything I've read to date indicates that ships going to South Queensferry anchor, not dock. There is only a ferry dock there from what I can tell. I called Oceania and they said Marina is scheduled to dock, so I assume that's what it will do, but I was just curious.... Also, I have been planning my DIY explorations from South Queensferry, and don't want to be surprised by a change of dock locations, as I know there are multiple ones for Edinburgh - although, of course, I realize that where a ship docks can charge if the port assigns it somewhere else!

I'd also like to know about availability of shuttles (and yes, I saw a thread on shuttles, but none of "my" ports are covered), what, if anything, the ship might be offering in Hellsylt, Norway, and things like that.

Has anyone taken the Isles and Fjords cruise on Marina before? Ports are Edinburgh, Invergordon/Inverness, Lerwick, Alesund, Gerainger, Belfast, Dublin and Cobh/Cork.

We did the British isles many years ago but I am sure if you check the EXCURSION tab

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/exploreashore/default.aspx

You can find what Oceania is offering on other cruises that may go to the same ports

We docked at Leith in Edinburgh so cannot help with the docking location

Lerwick we did a tour to Jarishof prehistoric archaeological site

Geiranger you can take the tour up the mountain, there is a boat tour up the fjord near the dock

We just walked around the port

Invergordon I cannot recall what we did I think there was a distillery involved

Dublin did the HOHO tour

I would check the British Isles forum

Take a rain jacket with a hood & some waterproof shoes;)

We did the British isles many years ago but I am sure if you check the EXCURSION tab

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/exploreashore/default.aspx

You can find what Oceania is offering on other cruises that may go to the same ports

We docked at Leith in Edinburgh so cannot help with the docking location

Lerwick we did a tour to Jarishof prehistoric archaeological site

Geiranger you can take the tour up the mountain, there is a boat tour up the fjord near the dock

We just walked around the port

Invergordon I cannot recall what we did I think there was a distillery involved

Dublin did the HOHO tour

I would check the British Isles forum

Take a rain jacket with a hood & some waterproof shoes;)

Thanks. That's what's a little weird - when I check the Excursions (general tab) only excursions for Edinburgh/Rosyth (is that different from Leith??) pop up. When I log into my actual cruise and hit "book excursions" nothing shows up for Edinburgh, which started me wondering if we'd actually dock or tender in South Queensferry at all. However, the cruise is still 5 months away, so I imagine the excursions for Edinburgh haven't been finalized yet, or perhaps not posted to the web site yet. I will, however, go back and look at the excursions from Rosyth, as they're probably similar to any that will be offered from other dock locations for Edinburgh. And yes, I'll be checking the British Isles forum.

Thanks for the reminder about waterproof shoes!!!

Thanks. That's what's a little weird - when I check the Excursions (general tab) only excursions for Edinburgh/Rosyth (is that different from Leith??) pop up. When I log into my actual cruise and hit "book excursions" nothing shows up for Edinburgh, which started me wondering if we'd actually dock or tender in South Queensferry at all. However, the cruise is still 5 months away, so I imagine the excursions for Edinburgh haven't been finalized yet, or perhaps not posted to the web site yet. I will, however, go back and look at the excursions from Rosyth, as they're probably similar to any that will be offered from other dock locations for Edinburgh. And yes, I'll be checking the British Isles forum.

Thanks for the reminder about waterproof shoes!!!

This lady wrote a great trip report in her British Isles cruise last year - if the link doesn't work it was on page 5 on the Princess board and she's Delorean Girl. You will need a cup of coffee! ;):)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652129

Thanks. That's what's a little weird - when I check the Excursions (general tab) only excursions for Edinburgh/Rosyth (is that different from Leith??) pop up. When I log into my actual cruise and hit "book excursions" nothing shows up for Edinburgh, which started me wondering if we'd actually dock or tender in South Queensferry at all.

Leith is closer to town & is where the Britannia is docked at Oceania terminal, Like I said it was many years ago when we were there

http://edinburgh.ca/hotels/leith.html

SQ is a tender port according to a search for that port

this is an interesting site, you can check many ports

http://www.whatsinport.com/Queensferry-Edinburgh-Scotland.htm

I would look at the port under the excursions tab on O website & other cruise that are before yours

The tours will most likely be the same so it will give you an idea of what is available

Thanks. I'll look at the cruises before mine on O's web site.

I called O. yesterday afternoon. They said we are definitely scheduled to dock at South Q, but we'll see!! They said it was likely that excursions for Edinburgh had not yet been finalized, which sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the link to DeLorean's review. After finishing my one cup of coffee, she was just getting to the part about boarding the ship (whew! great review for Princess folks) but I scrolled quickly and at least managed to read about Cobh, which was helpful. Will read more later.

I was looking for some less daunting and less of a read information for you and I came across this website

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/showthread.php/2554-Cruiseships-in-Scottish-waters-–-2012

It is worth a look for some stunning photos of Leith dock with the Seabourn Sojourn there last year and then of a Princess ship at S Queensferry - so I think only the smaller ships can dock at Leith, but it looks beautiful there next to the former Royal Yacht HMS Britannia. And is nearer the centre of Edinburgh, but in saying that SQ is only 8 miles so maybe 20-30 minutes drive into the centre.

But you won't be disappointed if you tender at SQ, the views back towards the bridges and Edinburgh are stunning. And if you keep scrolling through this website there are photos of the tender and pier at SQ. I hadn't seen that before so that was interesting and there's lots more photos of different ships at Leith.

Rosyth is actually in Fife, across the water from SQ and a big naval dockyard.

If you need any more info just ask and I'll do my best to try and answer any questions you have.

Get the kettle on! :);)

Wow - what great photography in that thread, and it was lots of fun looking at ships I had not seen before. Of course, my heart belongs to Oceania ships....and I DID Nautica in there. That gigantic Princess ship sure towered over South Queensferry - but it looks like not just humongous ships anchor there, as an Azamara ship (not that big) was there, too.

I will continue to look for a web site that shows specific docking info/locations for cruise ships. It's really not a big deal, but now it has turned into a challenge! Maybe I'll just write the tourism folks in South Queensbury and ask if they know what cruise ships are coming this summer! Even though it looks to be a tender port, perhaps they would be able to find out that information!

I noticed a lighthouse near (or on) Fort William - where would that be (which port location?) I love lighthouses.

Back to my quest - and perhaps next I will look again at Oceania's web site, find the cruise before mine (on Marina, one of their larger ships - the one I'll be on), and see where Marina is scheduled to dock/anchor for that cruise.

Thanks for the link. Gorgeous photos!

I have lived in South Queensferry for more than 40 years and can assure you that all ships, no matter what size, have to tender in South Queensferry. I saw Marina last year when she tendered in South Queensferry. On another note, my husband and I are not long back home from the Riviera 2nd February cruise and had a fantastic time. Thanks to all on Cruise Critic for their great advice.

• 1 month later...

Seascot is quite right.....South Queensferry is a tender port 100% of the time. Leith is the closest to Edinburgh city centre at only 3 miles away, but is subject to tide restrictions and can only accept smaller vessels - Fred Olsen used to operate part of their ex UK programme from there, but this has been dropped in favour of Rosyth (the former Naval dockyards) and more sailings from Greenock on the west coast, as they had too many issues with Boudicca & Black Watch (both a shade smaller than the R ships) passing through the locks.

We did Marina around the UK last year. Our itinerary said Leith but we went to South Queensferry where a ship has no option but to tender. Oceania did not provide any sort of shuttle but a local company had a coach waiting and did a good trade. We took a taxi from SQ into Edinburgh and back. Lots of taxis at the tender landing point and not too expensive.

Thanks to everyone. We are definitely going into South Queensferry, as the itinerary for Marina indicates (and now the port site, too), and I see that tendering it is. It's also nice to know there is a coach to Edinburgh. I don't mind finding the infamous steps and walking to the train, but my husband will appreciate an easier alternative.

Has anyone docked at Ringaskiddy instead of Cobh? Was a shuttle available to Cork or Cobh? Ringaskiddy is near Cobh but seems much more remote. That's where we're sceduled to dock rather than Cobh.

Yes, I've checked the British Isles forum - thanks!

Ringaskiddy is a similar distance from Cork as Cobh. It is the main ferry port for the south of Ireland with services from Wales and France. There are frequent buses into Cork city centre, but no rail service unlike Cobh where the railway station is adjacent to the liner terminal.

Thanks; I did look for public transportation and found an Eireann bus that leaves 9:10 and gets into Cork (Parnell Station) at 10. I'm not sure exactly where the bus departs from in Ringaskiddy, but assume it's around the ferry. Unless you happen to know more, I'll dig some more to get that information.

Thanks; I did look for public transportation and found an Eireann bus that leaves 9:10 and gets into Cork (Parnell Station) at 10. I'm not sure exactly where the bus departs from in Ringaskiddy, but assume it's around the ferry. Unless you happen to know more, I'll dig some more to get that information.

I continue to be amazed by your focus on port possibilities, and I gratefully tag along as you make your discoveries. I know only one of our ports-Dublin--and if I may, perhaps I can repay your research with a couple of insights. Don't take the inevitable bus tour. Walk. This is the most walkable city in Europe, and because you speak their language, nothing is hidden behind "foreignness." So, planning your day. Have lunch at the Stag's Head, round the corner from the Irish Times so it gets a crew of journalists, who can be interesting to listen to and occasionally helpful. Of course you will prowl along Grafton Street, the pedestrian only street in Southside. As you wend your way, Brown Thomas, the patrician department store will be on your right. Keep walking, and at the end of Grafton hang a right and you will eventually get to Frederick Street. (Admittedly, my directions are a bit vague.) This little street has a number of art galleries showcasing local Irish artists. And while not cheap, there is no better remembrance of Ireland than a soulful, slightly mournful painting of the countryside. At number 14 is a very good Italian restaurant--Dunne & Crescenzi--which sits directly across from an interesting gallery. Elsewhere, The National Gallery of Ireland has a lustrous collection, and a terrific gift shop.It's on Merrion Square, which is a beautiful area to walk around, with some charming boutiques. Several hotels serve a prideful tea--the Shelboune and Merrion hotels leading the way--but at ferocious price points. At the appropriate hour, check the tea offerings as you pass restaurants and tea shops. If you want more walking, google Walking Tours in Dublin; they are offered for virtually every interest, and perhaps the ones by enthusiastic locals are most appealing. In any case, walk!

I continue to be amazed by your focus on port possibilities, and I gratefully tag along as you make your discoveries. I know only one of our ports-Dublin--and if I may, perhaps I can repay your research with a couple of insights. Don't take the inevitable bus tour. Walk. This is the most walkable city in Europe, and because you speak their language, nothing is hidden behind "foreignness." So, planning your day. Have lunch at the Stag's Head, round the corner from the Irish Times so it gets a crew of journalists, who can be interesting to listen to and occasionally helpful. Of course you will prowl along Grafton Street, the pedestrian only street in Southside. As you wend your way, Brown Thomas, the patrician department store will be on your right. Keep walking, and at the end of Grafton hang a right and you will eventually get to Frederick Street. (Admittedly, my directions are a bit vague.) This little street has a number of art galleries showcasing local Irish artists. And while not cheap, there is no better remembrance of Ireland than a soulful, slightly mournful painting of the countryside. At number 14 is a very good Italian restaurant--Dunne & Crescenzi--which sits directly across from an interesting gallery. Elsewhere, The National Gallery of Ireland has a lustrous collection, and a terrific gift shop.It's on Merrion Square, which is a beautiful area to walk around, with some charming boutiques. Several hotels serve a prideful tea--the Shelboune and Merrion hotels leading the way--but at ferocious price points. At the appropriate hour, check the tea offerings as you pass restaurants and tea shops. If you want more walking, google Walking Tours in Dublin; they are offered for virtually every interest, and perhaps the ones by enthusiastic locals are most appealing. In any case, walk!

Hi writer100. Yep, I'm now getting obsessed with learning all I can about the upcoming ports, and planning to me is half of the fun. If you see me on Marina, eating breakfast out on the Terrace (if it's warm enough - sigh!) and I'm pouring over sheets of notes or maps, don't be surprised. I tend to over plan, over research, and occasionally don't have the sense to just book a tour (ship or independent), pay the extra bucks and be done with it - rather than doing all this research, using public transportation, etc. However, that's what I love to do, and exploring on my own (or with my husband) is very rewarding to me. I recently went to the Caribbean to fairly typical ports and felt a little nerdy and out of place, as many people just wanted to head to the beach and then return to the ship for drinks while I tramped around port cities, looking for things to photograph and new things to explore.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Dublin, which I'll add to my notes. I have compiled some info about Dublin (and a couple nearby places like Howth), but don't really know what I'm going to do there yet. Therefore, I really appreciate your knowledge and sharing. Since we have a long day there (8 to 8, I think), we certainly will have time to explore the city! However, yes, I was planning to walk, as I hear it's a wonderful place to walk. My husband may not want to walk as much as I do, but if need be, he can get a cab back to the ship and we can eat dinner together, even if it's at 7:30 on the Terrace. (The Terrace is probably his favorite place to eat - casual, can eat outside, can get cooked-to-order meat and fish, etc.)

I believe you were the one to arrange a tour in Lerwick, and if you happen to have space available at the last minute, I may want to join you. I just can't commit right now - but I think you found some folks, so that's good. It sounds like a great tour and price. I have been looking at Alesund tonight - looks like a beautiful place, and another walking port. I'm not a big city person, so the smaller places on our itinerary interest me as much as the bigger ones, and Alesund (and Lerwick, too, for that matter!) sounds like my kind of place.

In any case, I'm plodding away on my port research. You are welcome to any of it, although it may be too geared toward independent travel to suit you and most Oceania cruisers. Email me at howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com if I can help with info.

If that's what you love to do, and that's the way you want to travel -- do it! You don't need me to tell you that, of course.

We all do it our own way. No one is wrong.

Mura

Wow, I wish I had read this before we went. We walked it and got horribly lost! Still loved the city though!

OP, what do you want to do while in Dublin? Beautiful city - and everything within walking distance! Will try to help you as best i can!!

Thinking of heading into Dublin the day you are in port, just to see the ship!! We are travelling on the Regatta 7/5/13, and will make for interesting comparsion!!

OP, what do you want to do while in Dublin? Beautiful city - and everything within walking distance! Will try to help you as best i can!!

Thinking of heading into Dublin the day you are in port, just to see the ship!! We are travelling on the Regatta 7/5/13, and will make for interesting comparsion!!

Well, when I figure out what I want to see, I'll come back here and you guys can help! I wish I loved the Irish writers more. Then I'd be off on a literary tour. (The person staying at our house while we're gone is green with envy. She's a writer...) Wish I loved beer more. Then I'd be on a pub crawl. But both of those things are no doubt only part of what Dublin has to offer, however, so I'll probably settle for a little of everything! I really love things I can photograph, and love lighthouses, so that's a start....

As to Marina, she looks like a bigger version of Regatta, and the ships inside are very similar, of course. While you won't get the extra restaurants and the enhanced food in the "buffet" (which is really more than that) you'll get a more intimate cruising experience with the smaller number of passengers. I don't know if you're headed to the British Isles or not, but on Regatta, you may get better docking locations in a few ports where there are multiple docking locations, due to Regatta's smaller size and lesser draught (or whatever it's called). Last year we visited Helsinki on Marina. I was envious when I took the shuttle into the "downtown" part of the city and found one of O's smaller ships docked right next to the ferry, market area, etc. We were out with the bigger ships at the main dock area. Sigh! It was no huge deal, as there was a shuttle provided to the main tourist area, but those guys got to roll off the ship and be in the heart of things, which is always a nice thing.

In any case, I'll come back here if I have Dublin questions! (Just where do ships dock in Dublin, by the way? I looked at Google Earth and found what looks to be a cruise ship in the port area, but wasn't sure if that was "it.")

In any case, I'll come back here if I have Dublin questions! (Just where do ships dock in Dublin, by the way? I looked at Google Earth and found what looks to be a cruise ship in the port area, but wasn't sure if that was "it.")

It's a very dull industrial area which requires a 5-10 minute cab ride (or $8 cruise shuttle) into town. I will post my photo of it if I can link it.....

Archived