buffet bashers, how do you feel about the bev packages?

happy cruzer

I get over the no tray problem by slipping someone a few quid to hold all my plates for me.

When they have their arms full I take the cash back out of their pockets then put my plates on the table, if they complain I just call for a crew member at the top of my voice saying I'm being mugged.... simples

OK, I don't care who you are thats funny right there...LOL :D

I think what you want from this is that you like to purchase a ticket. and see everyone be charged a fee to eat.

:eek:

no more free food on a cruise ever.

The food on a cruise is not free, but some is included.

Through the years, we have seen services cut back, so it seems only a matter of time before all dining room meals will be charged, or as the case of Blu on Celebrity cruises, included with more expensive staterooms - Suites will probably include dining room privledges also, as the cost would be included.

As cruise lines cut back on services, they also seem to request us to pay more for gratuities. I was reading that even though specialty restaurants now are $30 or $40 more per person, they suggest a gratuity be given to the waitstaff for their service. Hey, these guys are already making L 1.30 and hour and only working about 16 hour days, 7 days a week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9579284/Cruise-ship-staff-paid-1.30-an-hour.html Probably a bit more for top chefs and servers. :confused:

Buffet hogs can pile up stuff on one plate as well as they can on trays. I often eat lunch alone and I've taken a plate of salad to a table, gone for my main dish so I can eat them together and returned to see either the salad gone or someone else sitting at the table. How about just going to get some iced tea to drink with your meal.....I've done that...had my plate disappear....and vice versa. And if you get up, you have to find another seat because your seat has already been taken....and don't forget to pick up new silverwear everytime you get up because your old napkin/etc will disappear. And this is true in the aquaspa as well.....

On our cruise last week, I asked about trays in the aquaspa (millenium) since they did have trays the week before. The maitre d' told me (with a straight face) that the trays were eliminated because if people got everything at once, some of it would be cold by the time they ate it.....they did it to help people eat hot food hot. It was hard to avoid laughing..... He actually believed that the elimination of trays was to help passengers.

:confused: Are you sure that's what you meant Burt, shouldn't you have said taken less and therefore leave no waste?

Goodness we try, but many items are served with minimum portions. Ever try to request a smaller omelet, trust me it's not worth the effort. Sally and I typically share desserts but even that doesn't prevent waste. And some food just taste bad.

I stand by my original post, it is better to leave waste than to feel compelled to clean your plate

Burt

Buffet hogs can pile up stuff on one plate as well as they can on trays. I often eat lunch alone and I've taken a plate of salad to a table, gone for my main dish so I can eat them together and returned to see either the salad gone or someone else sitting at the table. How about just going to get some iced tea to drink with your meal.....I've done that...had my plate disappear....and vice versa. And if you get up, you have to find another seat because your seat has already been taken....and don't forget to pick up new silverwear everytime you get up because your old napkin/etc will disappear. And this is true in the aquaspa as well.....

On our cruise last week, I asked about trays in the aquaspa (millenium) since they did have trays the week before. The maitre d' told me (with a straight face) that the trays were eliminated because if people got everything at once, some of it would be cold by the time they ate it.....they did it to help people eat hot food hot. It was hard to avoid laughing..... He actually believed that the elimination of trays was to help passengers.

I avoid the buffet for many resons but sometimes there is no choice so I know where you are coming from, and it is frustrating to be constantly having your cutlery and napkin taken (or your food). I usually ask the waiters to get them for me.:D

Happy to report that we did not waste a drop of our premium packages :D

And the buffet on Summit was so icky that you weren't really tempted to take that much in the first place so not much waste there either. And they did have trays, everywhere, so you could really load up if you wanted to, but didn't really see too much of that happening. That was why we liked Aqua Spa Cafe, nicely pre-portioned options...they should really expand the hours of this.

What were the lunch time cooked to order options in the buffet area on the Summit? I had read that there is an asian wok area and a pasta bar? Are there any others that you could recommend? I despise buffets in general when I cruise, so I always look for alternatives at lunch time. Thanks

Archived