Chankanaab National Park or Paradise Beach?

top of the world

We enjoy going in the water for a swim and maybe do a little snorkeling (but not necessary), which one is better? Do Chankanaab National Park and Paradise Beach have sandy bottoms in the water? From what I read, it appears that both have sandy beaches, but rocks in the water.

Chankanaab National Park seems to have more to do besides just sitting on the beach. Which one would you pick and why?

There's a big price difference - PB charges $2 each for chair rental while adult admission to Chank is about $20. Chank does offer a sandy beach (great for young kids) as well as a more rocky area (water shoes suggested) with good snorkeling from the shore; they also offer swim with the dolphin programs (for a hefty price :eek:), etc. PB is a traditional beach club with great facilities and a huge pool; use of the water toys comes with an extra ($10-12) fee and the water is deep enough that they are not safe fro young kids.

Little kids and I just wanted a day at the beach and a few margaritas - PB.

Older kids and I wanted to snorkel from the shore, see the doplphins, etc. - Chank.

Mitsugirl had a great review of Chank posted here -- try the search function for more info. Good luck! :)

I love Chankanaab. I have been to Cozumel twice and have gone there both times. Staff is great, it's a nice beach, great drinks and food, and beautiful water for snorkeling. I was snorkeling with my little sister and a staff member just swam up and offered to show us around free of charge. It was amazing!!!

I can't speak to Paradise Beach, but we went to Chank and had a great time. We were doing the dolphin swim anyway, so we ended up there. The dolphin "push, pull, swim" was great, but even if you don't do that, the beach and location were beautiful. The facilities were very clean and the lockers were free. We walked down the beach to the left and there is a nice beach for kids. Beyond that there are some less crowded restaurants with great views on the beach. We went to a little dive shack beyond that to rent snorkel gear and stumbled upon a great dive deal. My husband went out alone with a guide for $45 (much less than the ship excursions). He said it was amazing. So amazing, he wanted to go again. He negotiated a second trip out for only $21. They brought out a camera and took a bunch of pics of him and sold us the CD for $30 (also after some negotiation). The restaurant nearby (Bucaneros) delivers food and drinks out to the lovely free chairs and umbrellas on the beach. It was a fun and relaxing afternoon!

We've been to both Chank and PB, and are returning next month and have chosen Chankanaab this time. Our kids are now teenagers and I think that they will enjoy it more as the snorkeling is better and there is more to do. I also think the beach area is much prettier. Costs a little more but worth it I believe.

If you are interested in Chankanaab, I have done 2 reviews on it over the last year. We loved it so much that we went twice in 6 months. :D It still remains our favorite place in Cozumel so far.

Here are the reviews with TONS of pictures (a link at the bottom of each review).

First review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=59

Dolphin swim at Chankanaab if you are interested in doing that too: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=65

Other review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=48

We have been to Chank about 3 different times & loved it. It has been quite a few years now since we've been there & look forward to going there in April off of the Mariner of the Seas. I was glad to see everyones info. about pricing, etc. Our first trip to Chank was only $3 entrance fee;) Those days are gone. I think the last time we were there it was about $12. It seems that it goes up a little each year. Some of the best & easiest snorkeling I've ever done. Does anyone know if they still have the sea lion show? I really enjoyed that years ago.

We were in Coz last yr for the day & spent it at Nachi Cocum. It was a nice relaxing day, but a pretty quiet one. The food, beach & pool area was quite nice, but the AI drinks left much to be desired. If you drink their beer, then you will be fine. We will give Chank another visit this year so we can enjoy the great snorkeling!

It seems like I am returning to Cozumel next month. Having already done Chankanaab, I now want to do something different.

I was thinking PB, Park Royal resort or get a driver for the day and go around. The issue is that the ship leaves at 4pm, that is why I was kind of inclined towards PB or park royal.

You might combine some relaxing hours at PB with a margarita (or two :D) with some morning snorkeling - check out the Money Bar with great snorkeling from the shore:

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Good luck!:)

Do you think the snorkeling is as good as it is at Chank? & is it fairly close to cruise ship port? I checked out the website and it looks nice, Thanks for the link!

Since there is no admisison fee, I think it is better. ;) Some of the snorkel tour boats set up just off the coast here and snorkel the same area. Taxi from the piers should be about $10 for up to 4 in a cab. Good luck! :)

Archived