First PG cruise questions -

ALB0711

Hi PGer's - less than 4 months till we sail. DW and I are trying to make the most of our first trip to FP and the Paul Gaugin. We are staying 2 nights pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti - will spend first day at the hotel and enjoy the Polynesian show Friday night.

We were wondering if there would be any issues dropping our luggage at the ship Saturday morning and taking a full day tour with Patrick Family to see the interior of Tahiti. We are thinking we won't be boarding until 5 or 6PM. Will we miss anything if we don't board at 3PM with the crowd? What time will dinner be served (can't miss that!)? Will the ship accept our luggage as early as 9AM day of departure?

DW would like advice on dining room temperature. Is a wrap or sweater advisable in the dining room at night? She finds the big ships air conditioning to be cooler then she likes.

We are doing Tekkng's tour in Aitutaki, he wants to be paid in NZ dollars. Will there be much of a need for NZ dollars for other things in Aitutaki or the next day when we visit Rarotonga? I don't want to overbuy NZ$'s and we will have US dollars, a few Euros and credit cards with us.

We appreciate the regulars here who share so much great information. Thanks in advance!

Tell your wife to bring a wrap of some kind. I usually take a silk one, doesn't take any room to pack. A sweater or pashmina would be too much, at least for me.

An open weave linen sweater might work well. It's just enough to keep the drafts off but you don't have to fight to keep it around your shoulders while eating like you do with a wrap--especially a silky one.

ALB0711 where do you live? On my cruise we could not get to the Cooks and I was supposed to do the Teking tour and I still have my NZ $ left. Maybe we can work something out.

Larry

Hi Larry - I'm in Colorado. We will need 200NZ for Tekking and was thinking we would get another 50 or so for extras. I had planned on ordering them from Wells Farge, but if we can figure out a safe way to make the exchange - I'd be happy to buy them from you.

I would highly recommend some sort of long sleeved light sweater, cover, etc. I froze. I live in South Florida though, so it was actually cooler in Tahiti when we were there in July than at home. I lived in my one sweatshirt in the mornings, and my one light sweater in the evening.

I would highly recommend some sort of long sleeved light sweater, cover, etc. I froze. I live in South Florida though, so it was actually cooler in Tahiti when we were there in July than at home. I lived in my one sweatshirt in the mornings, and my one light sweater in the evening.

DW says "bless your heart".... I think that means she is bringing a sweater. ;)

I think people have done it before but I dont know the drop dead time. Check the roll calls and ask anyone who is going on an earlier cruise to find out about this.

My one fear is that my bags will be mixed up with those who are departing and go off to some hotel!

Albo the last bus leaves the ship at 1.30 at least for us that is what happened.So if you leave at 1.20 or so then you will arrive at the very time the last bus is departed.

If you want to walk around downtown you can do it on the last day. They give out a walking tour and Donna on our cruise completed it. She was a bit tired as the weather was humid but there was time enough for that if you leave after breakfast.

I like to visit all my friends on board but it would likely be nice for you to see the whole ship and maybe make your restaurant reservations.

I agree with Emdee ( being a newbie) it was nice to board at 3:00pm, unpack, make dinner reservations and obtain our fins for snorkeling. Yes, we did the walking tour after breakfast on the last day. It took 90 min and included the market for any last minute shopping, pearl museum, etc. You are going to have a FANTASTIC trip as we are having PG/Tahiti withdrawals from our wonderful cruise and visit. Donna

We booked the Teking Cruise and paid online via pay pal. Therefore, we didn't need any NZ$.

I like that idea - but would worry that if for some reason we have to miss Aitutaki for weather or sea conditions it may be difficult to get a refund. On the other hand - if I do get NZ$'s and we miss Aitutaki - then I've got a handful of NZ$'s to unload.:rolleyes:

I am going to keep my unused NZ dollars and exchange them in Tahiti.

Wells Fargo is a good place to get them. Polynesian Francs too. Now is a good time as the $$$ has gone up about 4% the past couple of weeks.

Archived