220 adapter

katykrol

I am new to Oceania and read that the cabins have two different types of plugs, 110 voltage and 220 voltage. I wondered if anyone had used an adapter so there would be an extra plug for charging cameras and cell phones. I don't need to use it for a hair dryer or anything else. Anyone?

An adapter will convert the 220 outlet to North American 110. I used one on my last cruise.

Not many adapters will convert 220V to 110V, they just change the plug type.

But if you look closely at most chargers for cameras and phones, they are rated for 110-230V so will work just fine.

Do check before you plug anything in though.

I am new to Oceania and read that the cabins have two different types of plugs, 110 voltage and 220 voltage. I wondered if anyone had used an adapter so there would be an extra plug for charging cameras and cell phones. I don't need to use it for a hair dryer or anything else. Anyone?

In the regular cabins there are at least 3 x110V outlets

How many do you need?

Our camera stays charged for a couple of days the netbook I may charge up while at dinner, do not have a cell, we may charge up some rechargeable batteries during the cruise for DH SW radio

But we only use 1 plug at a time

There's a difference between an adapter and a converter. An adapter is simply a little plug with different pins. A converter actually converts the power between 110 and 220. Most electronics these days have the converter built in, so you just need an adapter. Exception would be a hair dryer or something like that.

If you really need lots of outlets, bring a little power bar--there are some great travel ones around.

We use a Belkin mini surge protector. It has electrical sockets as well as USB sockets. Small and handy.

I just wanted to clarify - this device isn't a voltage converter. It just gives us a handy charging station in the room using the wall socket near the desk.

It's worth reading the fine print on your camera, laptop and phone chargers, shavers, hair appliances, etc to see if they are 'dual voltage' or indicate 110/220v or otherwise show they can operate on both voltages. If everything electric that you're bringing has this feature, all you need is enough outlets and plug adapters.

As Wendy points out, if any device you bring along runs only on 110v, be sure not to plug it into the 220v outlet unless you are using a heavy voltage converter to transform/step-down the voltage, rather than a little plug adapter.

Tansy Mews, we just received a Belkin mini surge protector as a gift. Looking forward to taking it on the next cruise.

One good packing tip another CC member posted a while back is an extension cord w/ a 3-outlet adapter at one end. Took one on an O cruise and it was great; plugged it in at the desk, and could then charge various devices several feet away from the wall outlet. Saved desk space for the ice bucket etc. :p

Also FWIW I have a hair dryer with a switch on the back that changes it from 110 to 220v. So although it's not auto-switching, it is dual voltage.

It's worth reading the fine print on your camera, laptop and phone chargers, shavers, hair appliances, etc to see if they are 'dual voltage' or indicate 110/220v or otherwise show they can operate on both voltages. If everything electric that you're bringing has this feature, all you need is enough outlets and plug adapters. <snip>

Also FWIW I have a hair dryer with a switch on the back that changes it from 110 to 220v. So although it's not auto-switching, it is dual voltage.

On the Marina, a hair dryer is supplied in each stateroom. Assume it is the case in all Oceania ships, so it is not necessary to pack that.

On the Marina, a hair dryer is supplied in each stateroom. Assume it is the case in all Oceania ships, so it is not necessary to pack that.

Yup & most hotels have them so I do not take up valuable luggage space for mine anymore

More room for shoes ;)

Archived