Civitivecchia- what can I expect at check-in?

frogsgirl

We have cruised from Southampton 3 times & found the process to be smooth & comfortable.

Now we are branching out & 1st time going from Civitivecchia, after scouring the boards I know how to get to Civitivecchia & which hotel we will be staying in but can find very little information on the process getting onto the ship.

We are being shuttled to the port on the day of the cruise via a local hotel & I wonder if you wonderful folks can advise what happens next? Will we instinctively know where to go?

All advice appreciated :)

FG:)

Checkin is mostly a cruise line procedure issue, not so much a port issue. So the procedure should be very close to the same, if you are sailing on the same cruise line.

Physically, the only difference might be in the layout of the room. Civi uses sort of large temporary buildings, but they are well laid out for the checkin process. Signage should be fine, and, yes, it will be somewhat instinctive.

Checkin is mostly a cruise line procedure issue, not so much a port issue. So the procedure should be very close to the same, if you are sailing on the same cruise line.

Physically, the only difference might be in the layout of the room. Civi uses sort of large temporary buildings, but they are well laid out for the checkin process. Signage should be fine, and, yes, it will be somewhat instinctive.

Thanks very much CruiserBruce :)

You MAY be shuttled from your hotel to the front of the port, which runs its own shuttles. So you may have to get off one and onto another, which will take you to the checkin area. Just a heads up.

Thanks CathyCruises, I'll drop the hotel an email to double check.

On our return we are being picked by AIM Limo who advise they will pick us up at our ship, does that mean we just walk off ship, get into the car & not go through customs/ a terminal would you know?:confused:

I see you're on Celebrity. Our checkin at Civi was seamless- the only caveat is that you should have your express boarding pass at the ready as ours was checked before we could proceed into the actual Celebrity checkin area. We also had to complete a health survey before moving on.

Our RomeLimousinePlus driver dropped us right at the entrance where baggage was handled. We were picked up from the Campo de Fiori area at 10am and were aboard the Silhouette before noon.

In general, it will be like your other cruises once you reach the place to drop your luggage. The variable will be whether you have to use the port shuttle busses to get to your ship-specific terminal. As mentioned above, your hotel shuttle MIGHT just take you to the port entrance. If that is the case, once you depart their bus, you look around for the bus stop signs for the port busses. There will likely be others with their luggage standing around trying to figure out the same thing. Depending on timing, a port bus may or may not be right there at that time since they may be out delivering a load of passengers. Also, if there are more than one ship loading at that time, there may be different busses going to different terminals/ships. So you need to look at the front of the bus to make sure it's going to your ship. You don't want to get on the wrong bus. The busses run very frequently, so if you miss the first one, another will be along shortly. I can't recall if I had to show any paperwork to get on the bus, but i think not.

I see you're on Celebrity. Our checkin at Civi was seamless- the only caveat is that you should have your express boarding pass at the ready as ours was checked before we could proceed into the actual Celebrity checkin area. We also had to complete a health survey before moving on.

Our RomeLimousinePlus driver dropped us right at the entrance where baggage was handled. We were picked up from the Campo de Fiori area at 10am and were aboard the Silhouette before noon.

Thank you so much for the information, I'll make sure we have the boarding pass ready :)

In general, it will be like your other cruises once you reach the place to drop your luggage. The variable will be whether you have to use the port shuttle busses to get to your ship-specific terminal. As mentioned above, your hotel shuttle MIGHT just take you to the port entrance. If that is the case, once you depart their bus, you look around for the bus stop signs for the port busses. There will likely be others with their luggage standing around trying to figure out the same thing. Depending on timing, a port bus may or may not be right there at that time since they may be out delivering a load of passengers. Also, if there are more than one ship loading at that time, there may be different busses going to different terminals/ships. So you need to look at the front of the bus to make sure it's going to your ship. You don't want to get on the wrong bus. The busses run very frequently, so if you miss the first one, another will be along shortly. I can't recall if I had to show any paperwork to get on the bus, but i think not.

Thanks so much for the information. Getting on the wrong bus would not be the smartest thing, so I'll ensure I have a picture of the ship handy :eek:

Thanks so much for the information. Getting on the wrong bus would not be the smartest thing, so I'll ensure I have a picture of the ship handy :eek:

The busses had nice cardboard signs with the name of the ship on it in their front window. The names were in English. Easy peasy.

Archived