Tip question

racnwdow

Are suggested tips the same on each line (pp/per day)? I know what to budget for RCI but not sure if they are the same or different on NCL.

Also, can I prepay tips before we cruise?

$12 per person/per day. And yes, you can prepay.....I just paid for mine for my November cruise.

Are suggested tips the same on each line (pp/per day)? I know what to budget for RCI but not sure if they are the same or different on NCL.

You will find that there may be small variations in the recommended amount and on NCL it is a daily service charge of $12 per person per day. They may be prepaid if you wish by contacting your NCL or your TA.

$12 per person/per day. And yes, you can prepay.....I just paid for mine for my November cruise.

Can you not add it prepaid and pay cash at end of cruise? or are all cruise lines now adding it directly to on board account? If added to on board account, can u adjust amount once on board ship? where do this?? Thanks.

Can you not add it prepaid and pay cash at end of cruise? or are all cruise lines now adding it directly to on board account? If added to on board account, can u adjust amount once on board ship? where do this?? Thanks.

There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of threads on this topic. Here's a link to the most recent one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788873

Can you not add it prepaid and pay cash at end of cruise? or are all cruise lines now adding it directly to on board account?

You don't have to pre-pay the DSC (daily service charge). If you don't it will be added to your account daily and then you can pay cash for it at the end of the cruise if you feel like it. Many cruise lines added it to your account. Here is what NCL's site says:

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Cruise lines discourage taking the service charges off, as they would rather fix the service problems than have you deduct the DSC, as this is a major portion of how the staff is paid. You can also tip individual staff members over and above the DSC in cash if you would like, but it is not expected and really doesn't have any impact on the excellent service you will received; it is just a nice jester and thank you for those that have gone above and beyond for you.

Why would you adjust it? If you have a problem with any aspect of the service on the ship, talk to the front desk or hotel director and get the issue resolved immediately. There should be no reason to adjust your DSC...unless you mean UP.

If you want to give more than the $12 per day, you can do this with cash or you can go to the service desk and add it to your account. You can also specify who gets any increase.

To the OP: Yes, you can prepay it, but I don't know why you would want to. The $12 gets added to your account each day and if you just settle up with a credit card on your account you're good to go. If you plan on using a cash down payment on your shipboard account, yes, you can prepay the $12 per day in advance. Just contact your TA or NCL

YEs, you can prepay. The Daily Service Charge is $12 per person, per day for those 2 and older.

Yes, on NCL you can prepay it, through your TA or NCL.

You can pay cash, minus your prepaid DSC, at the end of the cruise.

If you want to adjust the DSC go to the front desk, but they will ask you what is unsatisfactory about the service. Keep in mind that if you reduce the DSC you are depriving MANY people of their share. So leave it in place.

Why would you get flamed for that?:confused: If you feel he deserved it that is all that matters anyway.

The "nuts" who feel that they should not pay the DSC let alone the additional tips. In fact, there are some who feel that the staff should tip them.

$12.00 per person on all NCL cruiseship and yes you can prepay in advance .

Effective March 1, Royal Caribbean International is replacing its recommended gratuity guidelines with automatic tips of $12 a day per person ($14.25 for suite guests). The tips will be automatically added to each passenger's SeaPass account on a daily basis and will be shared by dining services staff, cabin attendants and other housekeeping personnel.

Passengers who have prepaid their tips will not be charged daily.

According to Royal Caribbean, the new automatic gratuity is based on industry standards. Previously, the line recommended a total of $11.65 per day, per person ($13.90 for suite guests) and passengers could pay via their onboard account or pay in cash.

Under the new system, passengers who believe they've received poor service may ask Guest Services to reduce or remove the automatic tips while on the ship.

The new policy applies to all guests who do not prepay their gratuities before February

Archived