Zuiderdam

Dipsylee

On board the Zuiderdam now--2 nights left of our 10night cruise. Any questions?

Hope you had a wonderful cruise. We'll be sailing her in March. Any AC/toilet flushing issues? We have a balcony cabin on the Veranda Deck (5106) - would you say that it is in a good position on the ship? What was your favorite meal? How was the entertainment? Will you be writing a review? Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I would like to know the best place to stand to go thru the canal and what time should a person be up to watch. We leave in 11 days.
As this photo shows, you can stand most anywhere.

But it's best to move around and get different views.

One favorite view was from our stern balcony (2nd photo).

We were up at 4:30am to see all the lighted ships in line.

Once we'd eaten breakfast (room service) we headed up to the bow.

There was a line waiting to get out there and they opened the doors

20 minutes earlier than the posted time.

Yes, it made for a very long day but we'd been looking forward to it

for years and IT WAS AWESOME!

Don't miss the Panama buns served on the bow!:):)

Cheers!

312canal_7981507fc4_o.jpg

View from the back of the Zuiderdam.

ENGINESTART.jpg

How are the lounge chairs by the pool area? I saw a recent photo and the looked new? Is there a big screen tv in the lido pool area for movie watching? How was the MDR food? How was the crew? Friendly or just so-so? Thanks in advance for answering and asking to answer questions, that's very nice of you.:)

We will be on the ship in March as well, do they only serve Panama Buns on the bow? Keep hearing about them so have to try them!

You should be able to find them on the outside decks, and probably in the Lido, too. The Lower Promenade and aft on Lido Deck are likely spots.

On the Zuiderdam I got one on the deck outside the forward elevator bank when leaving the Crows Nest. I got a small plate of them to bring to friends when I was having breakfast in the Lido.

As this photo shows, you can stand most anywhere.

But it's best to move around and get different views.

One favorite view was from our stern balcony (2nd photo).

View from the back of the Zuiderdam.

ENGINESTART.jpg

This bodes well for our aft wrap around. I may have finally gotten something right for once...LOL!!!

I'm jealous. A canal transit is still at the top of our to do list.

They have slashed the prices on this one. $999 for a VH and $1299 for an SZ. The SZ is a Guaranty, I think there are 2 SZ cabins on the entire ship so your chances of getting upgraded are obviously very good. A month ago the SZ was nearly twice the $1299 price.

I will try to answer the questions that I can. I may not have all the answers, but I will give it a try! We are having a great cruise, the weather has been perfect! I will be doing a review after we get home but we have an hour and a half left on our internet package so thought I would do this while the memories are fresher. The panama buns were served on the bow--they may have been available other places but we were on the bow so I know they were there, but not on the bow of deck 7 which was the only other public area we went to. The buns are wonderful--filled with vanilla custard and peaches. They served coffee as well. We went to deck 7 because it was less crowded--we actually got spot at the railing which wasn't possible on the lower decks. Had a momentary shower while heading into the 1st lock but that was really the only rain we had. After we went into the 1st lock we went back to our aft cabin to watch the closing of the lock--a ship's photographer was out on the gates taking photos of the guest on the aft of the ship.

No, we have heard of no toilet issues on this cruise. Also the a/c is working great--too much so in some public areas. The only complaint I heard about it not working was yesterday in the Lido as the doors to outside were in constant use and the a/c couldn't keep up. We have noticed a slight sewer type smell in some spots on the ship--I don't know where it comes from, but it's here and there on different decks.

I will check back later to see if anyone else has any comments or questions--now back to cruising!!!

I will try to answer the questions that I can. I may not have all the answers, but I will give it a try! We are having a great cruise, the weather has been perfect! I will be doing a review after we get home but we have an hour and a half left on our internet package so thought I would do this while the memories are fresher. The panama buns were served on the bow--they may have been available other places but we were on the bow so I know they were there, but not on the bow of deck 7 which was the only other public area we went to. The buns are wonderful--filled with vanilla custard and peaches. They served coffee as well. We went to deck 7 because it was less crowded--we actually got spot at the railing which wasn't possible on the lower decks. Had a momentary shower while heading into the 1st lock but that was really the only rain we had. After we went into the 1st lock we went back to our aft cabin to watch the closing of the lock--a ship's photographer was out on the gates taking photos of the guest on the aft of the ship.

No, we have heard of no toilet issues on this cruise. Also the a/c is working great--too much so in some public areas. The only complaint I heard about it not working was yesterday in the Lido as the doors to outside were in constant use and the a/c couldn't keep up. We have noticed a slight sewer type smell in some spots on the ship--I don't know where it comes from, but it's here and there on different decks.

I will check back later to see if anyone else has any comments or questions--now back to cruising!!!

I am very happy to hear they seem to have resolved many of the issues with plumbing and a/c. The panama buns are delish, they were filled pineapple last year, and available on all open decks.

Ruth... come join us next year for the full transit:)

Ruth... come join us next year for the full transit:)

I'm all booked up through April '14. But after that I'm free as a bird.

I haven't seen any schedules after my current bookings, though. When are you going???

By doing the Canal Experience Shore Excursion we have done a full transit but will never do that shore excursion again! It is listed as 6 1/2 hours and ours took 10. Way too long!! But we loved seeing the Panama City skyline. Just back now from our last Mixology class--best activity we did on the Zuiderdam!! Jillian and Vince were the best!! Met so many fun passengers!

By doing the Canal Experience Shore Excursion we have done a full transit but will never do that shore excursion again! It is listed as 6 1/2 hours and ours took 10. Way too long!! But we loved seeing the Panama City skyline. Just back now from our last Mixology class--best activity we did on the Zuiderdam!! Jillian and Vince were the best!! Met so many fun passengers!

Did you take any of the Cooking Classes?

I'm all booked up through April '14. But after that I'm free as a bird.

I haven't seen any schedules after my current bookings, though. When are you going???

April '14 - go on, what's one more cruise, you only live once:D

Archived