Negativity

NoobCruise

One must read these boards with a degree of skepticism and look at overall attitudes. Yes, there are sometimes too many whiners....but there are also too many "cheerleaders" and perhaps the two offset. We find the same when we are on cruises. Typical conversation might go like this: "We would never go on Carnival because we know its a terrible cruise line." Then my question to this person would be "which Carnival ships have you cruised." Then the answer..."We have never been on any Carnival cruise...we would never go on such an awful line." My response - "If you have never been on any of their cruises how do you know they are such a bad line?" Persons response " We just know because everyone says so."

That being said, we fall into the category of somebody who understands the negativity. Ok, so shoot us for being very experienced cruisers (far more then 2 years on over 60 ships) and expecting quality. And yes, we often compare (in our little minds) what exists today vs what existed in years past. The reality is some things are better and many things are not! We have noticed cut-backs on every cruise line (we have been on 14 lines) although Celebrity seems to show less of an impact then other mass market lines. On HA (we like HA and are 4 Star Mariners) the cutbacks have become a bit too obvious although its still a darn good product. Keep in mind that all the cruise lines monitor CC so posting the good and the bad can have some impact on the future. In fact, we know of one major policy change (this happened at RCI) due to negative posts on CC.

Hank

Come on now and be fair. Startwin was expressing hurt over being called a liar and not rehashing any Zuiderdam issues. We have both moved on to the point of being eager to retake the trip next year on the Zuiderdam. :)

Thanks sapper, but consider the source and just move on.

Well, I understand and respect your opinions as far as the changes. but.....as this thread degrades into negativity again, I just want to restate to anyone looking at HAL for the first time, HAL still offers a great experience and is worth trying.

The 5th march will be my first cruise and first time with HAL . Cannot be worst compare to the career spend has a electician with the Royal Canadian Navy.

I guarantee it. After years on aircraft carriers, 30 men per berthing compartment, long periods on the line, generally crummy chow, dirt and constant noise, a HAL cruise is heaven on earth.:)

I would far rather read negativity about a ship than cheerleading. Positives are good, but negatives are definitely more interesting! It also gives more meaning to the term "critic". But the cheerleading makes me ill. It goes so far beyond the point of balancing out a negative with a positive, or legitimately arguing a point. It's the ceaseless borderline rude smackdowns against anyone who says anything negative. Thankfully it's rare on the HAL board. Anyone who is feeling the negativity here should go over to Carnival and ask what the time of day is. You'll be feeling the sting in five posts!

I do agree that we should say the things that have gone downhill and the negatives of our cruises, should there be any. Absolutely- hold the cruise lines accountable.

Funny that I've never met anyone on board who resembles a CC member. I think we all just get like this when we're not on a cruise :)

I would far rather read negativity about a ship than cheerleading. Positives are good, but negatives are definitely more interesting! It also gives more meaning to the term "critic". But the cheerleading makes me ill. It goes so far beyond the point of balancing out a negative with a positive, or legitimately arguing a point. It's the ceaseless borderline rude smackdowns against anyone who says anything negative. Thankfully it's rare on the HAL board. Anyone who is feeling the negativity here should go over to Carnival and ask what the time of day is. You'll be feeling the sting in five posts!

I do agree that we should say the things that have gone downhill and the negatives of our cruises, should there be any. Absolutely- hold the cruise lines accountable.

Funny that I've never met anyone on board who resembles a CC member. I think we all just get like this when we're not on a cruise :)

Negatives are basically positive criticism. What really rankles is when someone reports something negative from a cruise and they are instantly labelled a "whiner", and called such. Or at the very least, not believed, ergo" liar.

My all time favorite thread was the one where people were reporting lack of a/c and huge plumbing problems on a couple of ships. I guess these issues were horrible and yet several cheerleaders came in and blasted the posters. The supposedly were being negative and if they were going to cruise they needed to learn to deal with these issues because "ship"happens.

I'm with you 100% on this one!!! I have no idea what things were like "in the old days." Nor do I care!! What I do care about is what I see and feel and it has been GREAT!!

Cutbacks, I have not seen any because I am not looking for any. And it is iirrelevant as you say!!

Thanks for your thoughts on this!!

Joanie

Hang on a minute, you were the one that posted the thread "Snootiest ship in the Dam fleet" with many negatives about the Niew Amsterdam - both the ship and the crew - not so long ago, and you weren't thinking that was great. Or is it irrelevant?

Hang on a minute, you were the one that posted the thread "Snootiest ship in the Dam fleet" with many negatives about the Niew Amsterdam - both the ship and the crew - not so long ago, and you weren't thinking that was great. Or is it irrelevant?

OT, I know- but put me out of my misery- is it Star Twin or Start Win?

OT, I know- but put me out of my misery- is it Star Twin or Start Win?

I know she is still asleep out there in BC so I will put you out of your misery sooner. :)

Startwin and I cruised together and we were explaining the origins of our screen names. Her's is Star Twin, after the motorcycle.

I saw a thread once about screen name origins and it was most interesting.

It was NOT relevant to this thread!!

I was not speaking "Past Tense" when I posted my review of the Nieuw Amsterdam. That was not years before and what we went through or thought was current then. What I posted was current at that time.

And yes, it was negative in part because of how little I care for that ship and its ambiance, my health at the time of that cruise, etc. BUT (stressing the But, not yelling it:rolleyes:) Negativity in a post or 2 is one thing, to continue harping on it is another. I ignore questions that I feel are irrelevant, but others tend to point out my comments on that review and continue to harangue me on it. So be it........

I hated the ship, hubby loved it. So instead of continuing to bring up how I felt then is unfair as I do not continue to rant my dislike of Nieuw Amsterdam, unless you or someone else points out that I hated it. Why do you not point out the positives I have posted/mentioned, when it comes to other HAL ships? Because Positivity does not make for a good thread?? Or is there another reason?? Who knows the reasoning...I sure do not and while negativity is fine sometimes, if it is current and not dated (in regards to a specific cruise and/or time frame,) I see no reason to continue mentioning it here. What is experienced 2 months ago is a lot more pertinent than 1, 2, 3 or more years ago.

Once again, the negativity seems to have reared its ugly head on the HAL Boards and as a result I will again have to step back and say that I will not post to a specific thread because of it:(

EDITED TO ADD: Let it go people!! If you have had a bad expereience on a ship or cruise line, do not let it ruin everyone elses experience. Just because I do not like the Nieuw Amsterdam does not mean I would presume to tell anyone who askes me about it, to not sail on her..........I tell them, "My tastes are different than yours and if they wish to try her, do so!! Experience for yourselves and you might be surprised that you love it!" Unlike others who will not let a bad experience go and harp on it (yes,, I said Harp, as that is what I have seen so much of lately, harping:(

Joanie

I got taken to task by the cheery ones a few years ago after a November Westerdam cruise.

It was the first cruise of the season and the dining room/kitchen seemed disorganized. The wait between courses in the MDR went on and on, etc.

I was told that 1) 'smart' people don't book the first cruise of the season (this is the Pancake Theory of Cruising - throw the first one out.)

2) Posters said that they had sailed the Westerdam a few years ago and had no problems, therefore I just thought my food was cold. And it was up to me to make the best of things. It's all about attitude. And obviously mine needed improvement.

3) This was followed by the 'who are you anyway?' and 'why should we believe you?' queries.

The final blow came from the This PROVES BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT that HAL is on the Skids Camp. Once they chime in, logic takes flight.

We talk about dress codes and other signs of pseudo-gentility, but sometimes seem to forget politeness.

I think that most people coming to this site hope to hear factual reviews both good and bad. However, it's one thing to say " passengers dressed less formally than I expected" vs "my fellow passengers were a bunch of slobs". While I enjoy reading about the onboard experiences of others I don't like the put downs and general nastiness I see so often on these boards.

As far as what happened in the "good old days"... it doesn't help anyone with decisions about current cruises. Maybe there could be a new category just about the "good old days" so that people could go there if that interested them.

It was NOT relevant to this thread!!

I was not speaking "Past Tense" when I posted my review of the Nieuw Amsterdam. That was not years before and what we went through or thought was current then. What I posted was current at that time.

And yes, it was negative in part because of how little I care for that ship and its ambiance, my health at the time of that cruise, etc. BUT (stressing the But, not yelling it:rolleyes:) Negativity in a post or 2 is one thing, to continue harping on it is another. I ignore questions that I feel are irrelevant, but others tend to point out my comments on that review and continue to harangue me on it. So be it........

I hated the ship, hubby loved it. So instead of continuing to bring up how I felt then is unfair as I do not continue to rant my dislike of Nieuw Amsterdam, unless you or someone else points out that I hated it. Why do you not point out the positives I have posted/mentioned, when it comes to other HAL ships? Because Positivity does not make for a good thread?? Or is there another reason?? Who knows the reasoning...I sure do not and while negativity is fine sometimes, if it is current and not dated (in regards to a specific cruise and/or time frame,) I see no reason to continue mentioning it here. What is experienced 2 months ago is a lot more pertinent than 1, 2, 3 or more years ago.

Once again, the negativity seems to have reared its ugly head on the HAL Boards and as a result I will again have to step back and say that I will not post to a specific thread because of it:(

EDITED TO ADD: Let it go people!! If you have had a bad expereience on a ship or cruise line, do not let it ruin everyone elses experience. Just because I do not like the Nieuw Amsterdam does not mean I would presume to tell anyone who askes me about it, to not sail on her..........I tell them, "My tastes are different than yours and if they wish to try her, do so!! Experience for yourselves and you might be surprised that you love it!" Unlike others who will not let a bad experience go and harp on it (yes,, I said Harp, as that is what I have seen so much of lately, harping:(

Joanie

Just my opinion......

The things I comment I miss on the ships is very much the here and now. It isn't past tense.... it is very much the present and likely the future.

Maybe not relevant to anyone but me (though I know that to not be true), but in any case certainly relevant to me so I'd rather not be dismissive about people speaking their minds about their cruises.

There is nostalgia and it has it's place and there is 'stating the facts and that, too, has its place. I know I used to be able to order certain menu items but I no longer can..... inability is due to them not being offered.

Seago - Indeed it is star twin, as in the BSA Startwin motorbike.

Just got up, cheery start to the day.:D

Bout time you were up. You snooze and ya miss the good stuff that seems to appear overnight. :D

That is, the stuff you know will go poof.

I like to read good and bad. The cheerleaders can be a bit annoying always implying that whatever was bad about the cruise always seems to be the cruisers fault. eg. had a surley waiter...your fault you should smile and chat more:rolleyes:

One thing is certain there are many more negative posts on all lines. We loved the Westerdam in December but did notice some cost cutting since our last cruise with HAL 3 years before. Still my favourite line though.

Archived