Negativity

NoobCruise

I like to read good and bad. The cheerleaders can be a bit annoying always implying that whatever was bad about the cruise always seems to be the cruisers fault. eg. had a surley waiter...your fault you should smile and chat more:rolleyes:

One thing is certain there are many more negative posts on all lines. We loved the Westerdam in December but did notice some cost cutting since our last cruise with HAL 3 years before. Still my favourite line though.

Last year some of us posted a favourable report on our Zuiderdam repositioning cruise (that cruise was a blast!) but also reported factually on the plumbing and air conditioning issues, and front office attitudes. I still laugh at some of the names we were called, "petulant troll" being at the top of the list, but liars and whiners close behind. And this followed a good six months of negative reports of the ship from previous cruisers. Even yesterday a poster said he/she was glad they didn't believe our reports. Huh?

The intent of having a forum like this is to share information with fellow cruisers, good or bad. If it's negative, so be it. It is what it is.

IMO if it were not for those negative posts which are in the main justified, cruise lines might just say 'Well everyone seems SO happy, lets make a few more cuts'.

For myself I am more than a tad upset about the way that HAL, and Princess are heading, I no longer write in to praise either line, [other than Princesses smoking new regulations]. In fact I am beginning to wonder if cruising is now worth the money due to the practices, or lack of them over the past few years.

IT'S A GREAT SHAME.

JOHN

DH said the same thing just the other day. After more than 30 years of cruising, he feels "cruised out," partly because cruising just isn't what it was. And it's partly because we've done all the itineraries we've always wanted to do. Unless a really interesting itinerary comes up, I'd have a hard time selling him on the idea. For the first time in I don't know how long, we have no cruise booked.

As for value for money, I have to admit that we've found lots of great prices in recent years, so we have to accept that something's gotta give. If we're paying bargain fares, we probably shouldn't complain about decreasing services. (But we still do)

Negatives are basically positive criticism. What really rankles is when someone reports something negative from a cruise and they are instantly labelled a "whiner", and called such. Or at the very least, not believed, ergo" liar.

i could not agree more. It is almost to the point that some posters do not like negative posts.

A shame since the cruise lines read what we write, and, it seems in rare cases correct the reported 'incidents'.

[i used to ride BSAs and Triumphs].

john

I'm not saying you're wrong about cutbacks and how things have changed. I'm just saying from a new cruisers perspective, these multiple threads going make HAL sound like a horrible experience. Does a new cruiser really care whether there are fewer flowers than 5 years ago? There were still beautiful flowers everywhere. I'm sorry that the HAL loyals feel the experience has degenerated so much. That is sad. My message really is to new cruisers that HAL offers a great experience, even if "it isn't what it used to be". As a new cruiser, what "it used to be" is irrelevant. What it is now is what I'm interested in, and it was a great experience I hope to do again.

My sentiments exactly.

We cruise 2 or 3 times a year but have not cruised on HAL since June of 2008 for various reasons, primary being I did not like the ambiance of their ships.

I have been a user of Cruise Critic for quite a few years and use it less and less as time goes by. Generally because regardless of which forum I am on and which cruiseline I am reading about it always seems like the same issues are raised:

1. Things aren't like they were (always true, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. My observations on the last 5 or 6 cruises I have taken is that things are improving. The food is better, the prices are better, and the passengers are better dressed).

2. Everyone complains about the dress code of the "other passengers". Not sure why I care how they are dressed unless they are at my table.

3. Complaints about smoking or no-smoking rules.

Generally when I read this board my approach is to read several threads. If I hear the same issue raised three or four times I tend to give it credance, either negative or positive. If it is raised once I attribute it to the sensitivities of the poster.

We cruise 2 or 3 times a year but have not cruised on HAL since June of 2008 for various reasons, primary being I did not like the ambiance of their ships.

I have been a user of Cruise Critic for quite a few years and use it less and less as time goes by. Generally because regardless of which forum I am on and which cruiseline I am reading about it always seems like the same issues are raised:

1. Things aren't like they were (always true, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. My observations on the last 5 or 6 cruises I have taken is that things are improving. The food is better, the prices are better, and the passengers are better dressed).

2. Everyone complains about the dress code of the "other passengers". Not sure why I care how they are dressed unless they are at my table.

3. Complaints about smoking or no-smoking rules.

Generally when I read this board my approach is to read several threads. If I hear the same issue raised three or four times I tend to give it credance, either negative or positive. If it is raised once I attribute it to the sensitivities of the poster.

Since you have not been with HAL for 5 years, I respectively observe that you will find a few things have changed a little, but not for the better. Included, but not limited to, would be food, and the way passengers are dressed.

john

We really do not find very much difference between HAL, Celebrity, or Princess.

Certainly the ships can vary in size, age, or condition but we have had good experiences on all of them. But in general the food, level of comfort, service levels, and friendliness of the staff have been similar for our preferences on all three lines. I guess this is how the cruise experience is boiled down on mass market lines.

Any one of them can provide you with a great cruise experience. And you also have the same probability on all three lines of having a less than perfect cruise. The key is to do a little research on the various ships and select the one that best meets your wants and demands

We really do not find very much difference between HAL, Celebrity, or Princess.

Certainly the ships can vary in size, age, or condition but we have had good experiences on all of them. But in general the food, level of comfort, service levels, and friendliness of the staff have been similar for our preferences on all three lines. I guess this is how the cruise experience is boiled down on mass market lines.

Any one of them can provide you with a great cruise experience. And you also have the same probability on all three lines of having a less than perfect cruise. The key is to do a little research on the various ships and select the one that best meets your wants and demands

I have never sailed with Princess, but I agree that I have found very little difference between HAL and Celebrity. I'd happily cruise with either line.

If I have a cruise (or any other holiday) where about 90% of the experience is good, I am happy. I don't expect perfection.

How dare you call Carnival the Wal Mart of the Seas and impose your class judgement on me? ;)

I don't understand your post. I have never called Carnival any name. The Voyage of the Damned was a reference to the world ending and Startwin wanting one last cruise. The damned was a play on words re a damship and doomed people.

I don't understand your post. I have never called Carnival any name. The Voyage of the Damned was a reference to the world ending and Startwin wanting one last cruise. The damned was a play on words re a damship and doomed people.

FWIW, I thought it was funny. Don't let any "nattering nabobs of negativism" get you down.

Trivia question--who coined that expression?

Spiro T Agnew (without looking it up). What do I win? Other than showing my age, though I was a kiddie when he said that.

You win my admiration, for what that's worth. this thread made me think of the phrase, and I googled it to check the source. I had thought it was Ronald Reagan. (At least I had the party right.)

FWIW, I thought it was funny. Don't let any "nattering nabobs of negativism" get you down.

Trivia question--who coined that expression?

I Know I know!!!

Vice President (and the only Greek to be in such a High Ranking Position): Spiro T. Agnew!!

sapper, did you see that seago had a wink at the end of what was said?? I think it was said in jest

EDITED: I had to look it up because Cruising Ham thought he/she'd answered wrongly, and I thought I remembered Agnew saying it in a speech (yes, I am that old *GRIN*) Anyway Agnew did say it in a Speech written for him by then Presidfental Speech Writer William Safire

QUOTE "Safire is still remembered some 40 years later for the words that he put in the mouth of a previously inarticulate and later disgraced vice president, Spiro Agnew, and for one phrase in particular:

"Nattering nabobs of negativism." UNQUOTE http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/Nabobs_natter_about_the_passing_of_William_Safire_1929-2009.html

Joanie

I shoulda looked it up. It was William Safire. Now you know my motto on going through life... Ready. Fire. Aim.

Yes, Safire wrote it. He was brilliant, when he had a column in the NY Times, it was one of the first things I read every Sunday.

But Agnew SAID it, and you should get credit for knowing that.

Joking and harking back to the "voyage of the spammed" paranoia on the carnival boards- endless arguments about whether spam and pop tarts were or were not airlifted to the Splendor, whether there is anything wrong with spam, why people cruise if they're going to let a little three day drift without power ruin their vacations etc.

Joking and harking back to the "voyage of the spammed" paranoia on the carnival boards- endless arguments about whether spam and pop tarts were or were not airlifted to the Splendor, whether there is anything wrong with spam, why people cruise if they're going to let a little three day drift without power ruin their vacations etc.

OK. I missed that thread. Now I see what you were referring to. Can I give you a belated LOL? :) I was thinking I must be a little slow on the uptake but now realise I wasn't even in the game. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hang on a minute, you were the one that posted the thread "Snootiest ship in the Dam fleet" with many negatives about the Niew Amsterdam - both the ship and the crew - not so long ago, and you weren't thinking that was great. Or is it irrelevant?

So negatives are good except if they come from Joanie??

Archived