Negativity

NoobCruise

I visit CC looking for information and over the years I've gotten many helpful tips from returning cruisers.

But reading snide comments aimed at other posters is a turn-off.

And in reality neither the nay-sayers nor the cheerleaders are much help in making informed decisions.

I found CC before our first cruise another line) in 2005 and stayed on the boards for about a year during our second cruise. I stopped reading because of negativity of that particular board and a more demanding work schedule. As I couldn't remember my user name etc. and had a different e-mail. :o I once again signed up when we booked a cruise this summer with HAL. I was delighted that the HAL boards were so friendly....that is until about two weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's February or something else but I am really hoping that the tone of "some" posts and "some" people do a 180. I love reading all the information, the reviews and seeing the great friendships that have developed here. My hope is that those who post without a thought to the reaction they may get (or perhaps that is what they are looking for ...hmmm) and those that reply to the negative posts will take a deep breath and use the delete key. Some threads seem like the thread that never ends and others are one reaction after another. Any way I love CC and I love the amazing HAL board. Thank you for welcoming me and answering my questions so fully and quickly. I'm sure that I will have more questions as our cruise becomes closer and lets hope that March brings wine and roses once again. :p

I'm not saying you're wrong about cutbacks and how things have changed. I'm just saying from a new cruisers perspective, these multiple threads going make HAL sound like a horrible experience. Does a new cruiser really care whether there are fewer flowers than 5 years ago? There were still beautiful flowers everywhere. I'm sorry that the HAL loyals feel the experience has degenerated so much. That is sad. My message really is to new cruisers that HAL offers a great experience, even if "it isn't what it used to be". As a new cruiser, what "it used to be" is irrelevant. What it is now is what I'm interested in, and it was a great experience I hope to do again.

My biggest mistake her, IMO, is that I sometimes fail to state IMO on most of my threads. When I make a statement, I should be adding IMO on most of them. ;)

I'm with you 100% on this one!!! I have no idea what things were like "in the old days." Nor do I care!! What I do care about is what I see and feel and it has been GREAT!!

Cutbacks, I have not seen any because I am not looking for any. And it is iirrelevant as you say!!

Thanks for your thoughts on this!!

Joanie

Oh Yeah! Absolutely, Agree! Let the good times roll!!!!!

We cruised with HAL for the first time in September. We booked in Feb 2012. I'm saddened to see the number of extremely negative threads on this board now. If I was booking for the first time today, I would steer clear of HAL. Not just because of the HAL bashing, but threads that so severely bash other pax, I wonder if the pax being bashed are so bad, or is it the people doing the bashing that I wouldn't want to sail with. Either way, I think the negativity on this board is needlessly scaring new cruisers off of HAL.

I just want to say we had an amazing time on the Westerdam and the other pax we encountered were great. We didn't see rude slobs or snotty "elites". With only 2 exceptions, the passengers we cruised with were polite and enjoyable and HAL was great. I hope new cruisers won't take these boards too much to heart.

I have been sailing HAL since November of 1996 and my experience has always been like yours with a couple of exceptions. But these were exceptions to the rule, not the norm.

I love HAL and the negativity turns me off. A few years ago someone really badmouthed the Volendam and I was going to be on the ship for two weeks. I dreaded the cruise and yet it was outstanding. I was really angry at that poster. These posts can be very subjective.

Are those of us who have sailed HAL for decades not supposed to notice that things have gone downhill in some areas? Or are we just not supposed to mention it?

Are we not allowed to express our disappointment that standards are lower than we are used to? Can we not express a hope that there will be a return to those higher standards?

The fact is that HAL has changed over the years, and not all of those changes are for the better.

Some of us would like to stay with the line that still pleases us in so many ways, but would like HAL to please us again in the ways they no longer do.

I think most everyone is still in the post-holiday doldrums, and with all the bad weather nationwide (and cold foggy days at home), I know I am ready for spring.

I am one of the "lurkers" described! I read through a lot boards and only post occasionally.

The first time I posted was on the HAL board and everyone at that time was friendly and welcoming! However, I think there are some posters who overstate the obvious-- especially regarding search queries and their meaning, and being on the internet, and not in person, "meaning" or "tone" can be easily misconstrued. Whenever I see a post that I first interpret as negative or inflammatory, I always take a step back and re-read.

I think most people are genuinely trying to be helpful on these boards, while a small, yet very vocal minority, are just nasty and seek to promote discord.

Are those of us who have sailed HAL for decades not supposed to notice that things have gone downhill in some areas? Or are we just not supposed to mention it?

Are we not allowed to express our disappointment that standards are lower than we are used to? Can we not express a hope that there will be a return to those higher standards?

The fact is that HAL has changed over the years, and not all of those changes are for the better.

Some of us would like to stay with the line that still pleases us in so many ways, but would like HAL to please us again in the ways they no longer do.

Well said, Ruth, I totally agree. While I haven't sailed HAL for "decades", it's certainly been long enough that I remember what HAL used to be - my first cruise was on the Veendam, and that set the bar for me. I am so sad to see the decline. If it's considered to be negative to voice that regret, then so be it.

Right on. I agree 100%

This is the point exactly. I cruise four different lines, including HAL. For the last 6 years the boards for each line have helped me make informed decisions. I need positive and, especially, negative feedback to help make those decisions. I don't accept things at face value, but I do look for patterns and one pattern is that things are not as good as they were even just 5 years ago on all the lines I sail. And I want people to keep posting those deteriorations so I can still compare the current cruise experiences that are out there.

I don't expect people to write comments on this board or any other that make me feel more secure about a cruise. I want to know what's going on out there to make the best choice I can.

But I understand that having booked a cruise and then reading negative comments about it can be disheartening. My way of handling it is that I read until final payment day when the decision is irreversible. Then I stop reading about that particular ship and enjoy the cruise.

Sorry I just had to put that in. I'm 10 hours back from our Eastern Caribbean cruise and in withdrawal. Does feeling like I've been evicted from home count?

Yes, I could have tried to stow away or book the Western portion I know. Damn when life gets in the way of a Dam good cruise.

I don't pretend to know what cruising used to be on HAL and for those of you who do I respect how you feel. I may not have experienced it but I respect it. No one likes to have things 'taken away'from them. Not in work or life.

What I do think in the here and now is that HAL provides a superior product for people wanting a certain experience- now that may be vague but so many things are subjective. I haven't sailed another line but this I know:

Norwegian- not for me

Carnival- not for me

RCI- not for me

Oceana,Seabourne, Regent etc- not for my budget

So HAL gives me the best bang for my buck all things considered today in the here and now.

We all look at things differently. Some have glasses have full and others half empty. I look at negative post as just what they are, just one persons opinion.

While yes there have been cut backs, there are also things that have been added since my DH started cruising on Hal.

Neptune

Secondary Restaurants

Pinnacle

Tamarind

Taco Bar

Wonderful beds

Explorations Cafe

Happy Hour

So yes there have been cut backs but I wouldn't trade them for what has been added and yes that is just my opinion.

Hear, Hear, Ruth! :)

I think this fallwith Sandy and this endless winter ...ours has been cold ontop of snow ontop of more snow. And more snow ...has put everyone off. many suffer from cabin fever and tend to be a little snappy

Just blame winter blues!!!

Yesterday i saw geese coming home ....what!??? ..theres still snow on the ground??? Are they early or do they know somethingwe do not???perhaps Spring is around the corner???

I am no expert on HAL, after only cruising once to Alaska. I can say this: my cruise experience on HAL was much better than Carnival or RCI. The ships are smaller, and there is more personalized service IMO. The food also seemed superior. Now I don't know how it was years ago, and it is possible things have declined since then. But in the here and now, I cannot find much fault. I try to have a good time no matter what. Vacations are not an everyday thing for us, we save for a year or more to go on one and I am usually determined to enjoy my vacation by the time it arrives. It would have to be pretty poor for me to complain. This is just my opinion, and others may have a different view. My opinion may also take on a different light after sailing HAL in the Caribbean. We will see how it goes, and if my opinion of HAL changes. I respect others' views, and in some cases you all have cruised on more trips and longer trips, and more often than I do, so perhaps you may be right in your criticism. But for right now, I can't find too many negatives at my experience level.

to continually complain now about the way things were 5 years ago is really pointless, if they have not changed it back in that amount of time they are never going to. I can understand when a cut is recent discussing it and your disappointment but to drag it on and bring up the way things were years ago continually serves no purpose to people wanting to know what they are going to experience now.

If I had believed everything I read on here about the Zuiderdam it should have been an experience less than sail on the Motel 6 of cruise ships. I was very much regretting booking our cruise with HAL and in reality it was a lovely ship and we had a fantastic time

You hit the nail on the head!!

to continually complain now about the way things were 5 years ago is really pointless, if they have not changed it back in that amount of time they are never going to. I can understand when a cut is recent discussing it and your disappointment but to drag it on and bring up the way things were years ago continually serves no purpose to people wanting to know what they are going to experience now.

If I had believed everything I read on here about the Zuiderdam it should have been an experience less than sail on the Motel 6 of cruise ships. I was very much regretting booking our cruise with HAL and in reality it was a lovely ship and we had a fantastic time

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Zuiderdam. However, saying you didn't believe everything you read is a huge slap in the face for those of us reporting back on our own experience. We are not liars. I also enjoyed the Zuiderdam, but I also had to deal with huge problems while on her. As did many others. Your reality was not ours.

i think negativity is a 'spiral' kind of thing. i know i have been maligned many times for opinions on this board that do not agree with those of others. and even 'suspended' for five days because someone having a bad day clicked the red icon. and, yes, that has hurt me, because i never set out to hurt anyone; only to express MY opinion. but being slammed and demeaned leads to a cynical attitude, which often begets more negativism. and on it goes. i had heard this about CC before i even joined, and it is, imho, true -- to an extent. imho, imho. "imho" is a great way to exit the arena. :D i'll be willing to bet that if the various 'sides' on this board were to meet on a cruise, it would be peaceful and enjoyable meeting, indeed. what think any of you?

IMO if it were not for those negative posts which are in the main justified, cruise lines might just say 'Well everyone seems SO happy, lets make a few more cuts'.

For myself I am more than a tad upset about the way that HAL, and Princess are heading, I no longer write in to praise either line, [other than Princesses smoking new regulations]. In fact I am beginning to wonder if cruising is now worth the money due to the practices, or lack of them over the past few years.

IT'S A GREAT SHAME.

JOHN

Had a bad trip on the Zuiderdam,what will it take to move forward?

1. A Brinks truck filled with 100's

2. A Nobel Peace Prize

3. Have HAL name the next ship after you

please pick one,we'll make it happen:eek:

Come on now and be fair. Startwin was expressing hurt over being called a liar and not rehashing any Zuiderdam issues. We have both moved on to the point of being eager to retake the trip next year on the Zuiderdam. :)

Archived