I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Great pics again, Jack. You maybe closer than you think with your wish bone theory of the monument.

It is actually in honour of how the natives hunted with extra large sling shots. Unfortunately, over the years, the rubber sling has been repeatedly stolen, this mainly due to high cost of rubber and the high catholisism in the country, the theives have been making black market condoms.:D

Great pics again, Jack. You maybe closer than you think with your wish bone theory of the monument.

It is actually in honour of how the natives hunted with extra large sling shots. Unfortunately, over the years, the rubber sling has been repeatedly stolen, this mainly due to high cost of rubber and the high catholisism in the country, the theives have been making black market condoms.:D

Obviously you are a scholar of great insight. I now know how to label the picture. Thanks for sharing your expertise with me!:D

Just discovered this review - will read it in it's entirety tonight. SailorJack there are just some things you shouldn't do at work and reading your reviews is one of them. No laughing allowed at our Institute of Technology. Seeing you are from British Columbia you might know what I am talking about. Funny I never thought about us that way :D

Just discovered this review - will read it in it's entirety tonight. SailorJack there are just some things you shouldn't do at work and reading your reviews is one of them. No laughing allowed at our Institute of Technology. Seeing you are from British Columbia you might know what I am talking about. Funny I never thought about us that way :D

Not having attended BCIT I cannot attest to the culture, so I will take your word for it.:) However, from my experience at UBC I suspect there is a good correlation. That said, humour in Canada is dryer than it is in the states and more prone to smiles than belly laughs. Anyway, that was many years ago and things may have changed?

Jack

You are in for a real treat. We have done a fair number of cruises, but this one was probably the most unique. What an itinerary for a first cruise! I hope you have great weather for the trip. I hope you post a review of your experience.

Jack

Thanks Jack, will definitely be posting a review! Love the sound of your Tahiti cruise to, that is also on my (not necessarily OH's!) agenda but I think he will enjoy our first one so much I'll get him there!;) Enjoy the safari. It keeps telling me I can't post this as it is too short:confused:

You are in for a real treat. We have done a fair number of cruises, but this one was probably the most unique. What an itinerary for a first cruise! I hope you have great weather for the trip. I hope you post a review of your experience.

Jack

Thanks Jack, will definitely be posting a review! Love the sound of your Tahiti cruise to, that is also on my (not necessarily OH's!) agenda but I think he will enjoy our first one so much I'll get him there!;) Enjoy the safari. It keeps telling me I can't post this as it is too short:confused:

I don't think I have ever gotten that message! Anyway, your post obviously came through. I know he will enjoy the cruise and will look forward to the one to Tahiti as well.

Jack

I don't think I have ever gotten that message! Anyway, your post obviously came through. I know he will enjoy the cruise and will look forward to the one to Tahiti as well.

If you write inside the quote (so that nothing shows up as a new comment) that comes up.

Also , if the only thing you post outside the quote is an emoticon the same thing happens. (I've tried to "like" posts on here and found that out.)

And, definitely do that Tahiti cruise! It's the most beautiful place on earth! :D

Sailor Jack,

After having read all your fantastic, hysterically funny, previous reviews, I really should know that it is not wise to be drinking ANYTHING (alcoholic or otherwise) while enjoying your prose. BUT I FORGOT!!:eek: Now I have to get all the Coke Zero out of my keyboard - any hints about how to go about it??

Thanks again for another wonderful read -- you just keep getting better and better! (And, before you ask, NO, the house on Tenerife is still not sold! But I have a feeling that you might be the one to write the phenomenal exposé that will find a buyer for us!):D

If you write inside the quote (so that nothing shows up as a new comment) that comes up.

Also , if the only thing you post outside the quote is an emoticon the same thing happens. (I've tried to "like" posts on here and found that out.)

And, definitely do that Tahiti cruise! It's the most beautiful place on earth! :D

Yes, currently a thread on south pacific (Tahiti, Moorea) with some pictures, truely wonderful photos, lacks SailorJack's review skills though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843468

:D

Sailor Jack,

After having read all your fantastic, hysterically funny, previous reviews, I really should know that it is not wise to be drinking ANYTHING (alcoholic or otherwise) while enjoying your prose. BUT I FORGOT!! Now I have to get all the Coke Zero out of my keyboard - any hints about how to go about it??

Thanks again for another wonderful read -- you just keep getting better and better! (And, before you ask, NO, the house on Tenerife is still not sold! But I have a feeling that you might be the one to write the phenomenal exposé that will find a buyer for us!)

Sorry to hear about the house. Perhaps it is a sign that you should hold on to it. It must be a fabulous vacation home. Are you at least renting it out when you are not there?

However, it was still good to hear from you. At least the Coke Zero has no sugar so it wasn't sticky! :)

Edited by SailorJack

Yes, currently a thread on south pacific (Tahiti, Moorea) with some pictures, truely wonderful photos, lacks SailorJack's review skills though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843468

:D

Those are, indeed, some stunning photos...he has a great talent there.

Good information...I did not know that. Thanks!

Hi Sailor Jack, am looking for a little bit of information please. I know I have loads of time before the cruise but I like to be organised! My main concern at the moment is what to pack, I know I will need thermals for out on deck and maybe Port Stanley but I presume when you are inside the ship its warm? What sort of thing do people wear during the day on board? I believe you can never be overdressed at night so that is not a problem. Also, did you have any opportunity to use the outside pool without freezing to death? I thought it was summer down there when we go so are the first and last days more temperate? Appreciate your advice.

Hi Sailor Jack, am looking for a little bit of information please. I know I have loads of time before the cruise but I like to be organised! My main concern at the moment is what to pack, I know I will need thermals for out on deck and maybe Port Stanley but I presume when you are inside the ship its warm? What sort of thing do people wear during the day on board? I believe you can never be overdressed at night so that is not a problem. Also, did you have any opportunity to use the outside pool without freezing to death? I thought it was summer down there when we go so are the first and last days more temperate? Appreciate your advice.

Jeans and shorts were worn inside the ship. When we were in the Antarctic it was mostly jeans but it was warm enough inside to still wear shorts. Outside gloves, scarves, hats and coats. Temperatures in Buenos Aries and Montevideo were in the high 80's (F). Ushuaia was cool (not cold), but some people who were doing a B2B were in Ushuaia the week before and said it was shorts and T-shirt weather - so it can vary.

Overall, there were more days when you could enjoy the pool than when you could not.

But be aware that the weather can vary greatly when down there. When we were in the Antarctic there was heavy fog in the morning that lifted by noon. People on the following cruise reported no fog and bright, sunny (and warmer) days. I talked with one gentleman who was on his third cruise to Antarctica and he said this was the first one he was on where he could see the sun!

The only day it rained was in Port Stanley and it only started to rain late in the PM so most people were already heading back to the ship.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them.

Jack

. I talked with one gentleman who was on his third cruise to Antarctica and he said this was the first one he was on where he could see the sun!

Jack

I am taking a punt here and suggest you were talking to a Gentleman named Harold (Hotshot80), also a keen photographer. He is returning on our cruise next year, he just loves the Antarctic and it's wildlife.:D

This is the Palacio Legislativo - the Uruguayan legislative branch of the government. It is in this building that the Constitution is kept under guard.

4c24f01d-7ba7-43f4-87f2-e455738bf698.jpg

The building in the background is the Torre Antel - the government owned communications center. At 37 stories it is the tallest building in Uruguay.

435.jpg

This was a very modern office complex near the Palacio Legislativo.

434.jpg

Our last visit to a park before we headed back to the ship and on to Buenos Aires.

471.jpg

I finally found you! So Jack, when and where is your next cruise given you have seen so much of the world?

Yes it is me, Anne

Hi Anne! Long time no see.:D Hope things are going well down under. We are looking at two cruises - both next year. One going from Sydney to Honolulu and one going from Cape Town to Southampton (although this one is currently showing as sold out). I think you will be cruising again before us. As Jill probably mentioned to you we are looking at doing a safari in South Africa - but that is still in the wind.

Give my best to Mr. B.

Jack

Hi Anne! Long time no see.:D Hope things are going well down under. We are looking at two cruises - both next year. One going from Sydney to Honolulu and one going from Cape Town to Southampton (although this one is currently showing as sold out). I think you will be cruising again before us. As Jill probably mentioned to you we are looking at doing a safari in South Africa - but that is still in the wind.

Give my best to Mr. B.

Jack

Good evening Jack,

We would be interested in knowing the month the Sydney to Honolulu cruise is?

You both have ambitious travel plans for 2014 don't let Nicky know!!!

Give my best to Jill.

Good evening Jack,

We would be interested in knowing the month the Sydney to Honolulu cruise is?

You both have ambitious travel plans for 2014 don't let Nicky know!!!

Give my best to Jill.

Good Morning. MicCanberra is correct. The sailing would leave Sydney in April. We have not booked this cruise yet as our plans are still up in the air. Say Hi to Mr. B. for us.

PS I sent a "friend" notification to you a couple of days ago. If it went through you should find in on the upper right hand corner just above your log in box. Just click on it and then "accept" or "not accept" to make it go away.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Our cruise ended in Buenos Aires (where it had begun), but as we docked at 7:00 AM and planes back to the states did not leave until 7 -9 PM we spent the day sightseeing and visiting places which we had not seen before.

One of our stops was at Memory Park - a park dedicated to the (as many as) 30,000 people who simply disappeared during what is known as the "Dirty War" (1976 - 1983) - waged against the people of Argentina by the government. It was a moving experience.

These first two photos are of the walls (there were three of them) in which the names of the missing people are posted. They are listed by name and age in alphabetical order and are on removable plaques so that as new names are identified they can be resorted alphabetically. I saw some ages that were as young as 14 years of age.

583.jpg

584.jpg

This memorial reads (in translation) "Thinking is a Revolutionary Act" which is meant to reflect the fact that even carrying a book during those years could cause the government to become suspicious of you.

578.jpg

This memorial is made of cast concrete that was formed in a mold that was dug into the earth in the park. On the day of the park's dedication, the sculpture was dug up and erected -symbolizing (according the artist) - the unearthing of the missing people.

577.jpg

The park is located on the banks of the Rio de la Plata. One of the ways the government dealt with the "disappeared" was to put them on a military plane, fly out over the river, drug the prisoners and then throw them (still alive) off the plane. This memorial shows an unidentified person looking out to the river.

586.jpg

Thanks Jack, I find those pictures and your descriptions quite moving. It is amazing how a picture can tell a thousand words but a picture and a brief description can be much more powerful. The memorial of the man at the river for example, without the words is just a man at the river.:D

Thanks also from me, Jack, for these pictures that don't let us forget a horrible time in Argentina's relatively recent history.

We didn't know about this Memorial Park when we were in Buenos Aires last year, but did get to one of the Tuesday afternoon demonstrations held in front of the Casa Rosada, and organized by the mothers & grandmothers of the abducted and missing children (Madres de Plaza de Mayo). We were told that these demos have been taking place regularly since 1977. There has been some progress recently, and it is reported that the 108th missing person was found in April. Bravo to those who refuse to give up searching.