Crown Grill or Sabatini's...or Both?

Caribbean Beach Bum

There are mixed reviews because preference is subjective. There's no one answer but rather each person's likes, dislikes and preferences.

I much prefer the Crown Grill but others will say Sabatini's so check out the menus and decide which type of dining experience you prefer. Keep in mind that Sabatini's is fine northern Italian food, not southern Italian which most Americans are more familiar with. No pastas, chicken parmigiana, ravioli, etc.

I have enjoyed delicious dinners in both. The Crown Grill on each ship I have eaten on is a cosy relaxing room (rich dark woods,dim lighting,art highlighted on the walls and steaks you would pay for on dry land). You can't get steaks and service like this on dry land-in my experience-for $25 a head.

Sabatini's as Pam said is not your heaping plates of tomato sauce drenched starch. The flavors are more refined and less sauce-heavy. The room decor is beautiful, the music low (usually Neapolitan songs) and the waiters friendly

and bending over backwards (not easy to do when carrying a tray) to make your experience a memorable one.

In either if you buy a bottle of wine and don't drink it all it can be retrieved for you at another meal in another restaurant.

Hope this helps.

Norris

thank you Pam,

I am going on my first Princess cruise in September with DH DD SIL and 2 small grandsons to Alaska for our 25 wedding Anniversary. We picked this cruise because it departs and returns from San Francisco. Since we live 20min away it works very well for us.

Have you ever cruised on NCL ?? We usually cruise on NCL and book suites, my husband and i met 26 years ago on an NCL. I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison of Princess to NCL. I know this is a Princess site so it may be a little biased. Just interested in some honest opinions

thank you

cindi :):)

I love both of these restaurants.

My husband doesn't agree with me about Sabatini's..he likes southern Italian food. And he thinks the whole thing takes too long. The calamari is to die for! The espresso creme brûlée is heavenly! I was a bit disappointed with focaccia; it was just ok.

At the Crown Grill be sure to get the onion soup...so good. I always get the small filet mignon because the other steaks are HUGE. the creamed spinach is really good, too.

Also try the Pub Lunch. It will be announced in the Princess Patters, usually on the first page. It's not offered every day; usually just on sea days. If you like fish-n-chips, you'll love this.

We were on Sapphire a few weeks ago and did Sabitini's. There were 4 of us and all 4 of us were disappointed ....nothing that special to us. We have had meals at various specialty restaurants on different cruise lines and this was the first time we thought we should have saved our money.

We did do Crown Grill on another Princess cruise and enjoyed it.

I think they're both very good. We've never had a bad meal in either venue and we go to both on every cruise. However, don't go with the same mindset you may have with the main dining room. It's a more elaborate dinner and if you're in a rush to make a show you might be disappointed. If you're on a ship that has an Adagio lounge (they are adjacent to Sabatini's), I highly suggest you go there before and/or after dinner for a cocktail in a very beautiful room with pleasant music.

thank you Pam,

I am going on my first Princess cruise in September with DH DD SIL and 2 small grandsons to Alaska for our 25 wedding Anniversary. We picked this cruise because it departs and returns from San Francisco. Since we live 20min away it works very well for us.

Have you ever cruised on NCL ?? We usually cruise on NCL and book suites, my husband and i met 26 years ago on an NCL. I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison of Princess to NCL. I know this is a Princess site so it may be a little biased. Just interested in some honest opinions

thank you

cindi :):)

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by Princess. We have taken only one NCL cruise and that was enough for us. Although we didn't get "caught" with wine, were really put off by their Mickey Mouse bag checks for wine and their "naughty" room. How utterly foolish.

We were further put off by the fact that they had no ballroom dance opportunities, and the buffet felt a lot like a high school cafeteria. The whole experience was just not up to our expectations.

Princess on the other hand has made us happy enough that we have made over 25 cruises with them.

Keep in mind that Sabatini's is fine northern Italian food, not southern Italian which most Americans are more familiar with.

Yes, Northern Italian Food and we always find it to be very good.

Actually, we like both Crown Grill and Sabitini's and are always happy with either!:)

LuLu

~~~~

Archived