High End Mexican? Really Good Deli?

sail7seas

I'm looking forward to learning more about alternative restaurants that may be added to Pinnacle Class ships and got to thinking about what type I'd really like.

High End Mexican or a Really Good Deli are sounding good but, I admit, not likely to be chosen.

What do you think/would like to see for added alternative restaurants on the ships?

I'm looking forward to learning more about alternative restaurants that may be added to Pinnacle Class ships and got to thinking about what type I'd really like.

High End Mexican or a Really Good Deli are sounding good but, I admit, not likely to be chosen.

What do you think/would like to see for added alternative restaurants on the ships?

I heartily agree with your choices: High End Mexican or a fabulous Deli.......those would be great!!

Also, being from the south, I would not mind some really good Southern style food, like excellent fried chicken, catfish, turnip or collard greens, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, ribs, and/or good Carolina BBQ pulled pork (I know I am starting a discussion/comparison of BBQ here! Sorry!). I could go on and on. Now I know what some folks will say, "why do you want that on vacation when you can get that at home?"......I guess you could say that even though I was born in PA, I have been influenced by spending half my life in the south, and I just love the food down here.

I would like to see a high class French restaurant. There are so many good French dishes. Entree and dessert souffles.

A high end deli would also be very nice. Mexican would be nice but it would have to be very, very good and that isn't always easy with Mexican dishes.

I would like to see a high class French restaurant. There are so many good French dishes. Entree and dessert souffles.

A high end deli would also be very nice. Mexican would be nice but it would have to be very, very good and that isn't always easy with Mexican dishes.

I'm with you - a high end, haute couture French restaurant. Now THAT would be nice. A nice TAPAS spot would be nice too. Mexican - well, I cook it all the time. DH is Mexican - it would have to be awful dam good or we would be very disappointed. If I could have done better at home, I wouldn't be a happy camper:rolleyes:

oh, irish eyes, how i agree with you. i'm also from the south, born and raised, though lived in the north for 30 years prior to coming home. oh, oh, oh, fried chicken done the 'southern way,' with good bisquits and gravy, good greens, cornbread, and all the fixin's. and lots of good old sweet tea with lemon. there are lots of cruisers from the south, and our cuisine is just as celebrated as many others. but.... someone has to know how to cook fried chicken the right way -- small chickens, coated in flour with a minimum of spices, sans gooey coating. fried fast and drained. crispy and heavenly. corn bread that is MOSTLY corn meal, not flour. greens stewed slowly with a bit of ham or, lord forbid, bacon or fatback, and maybe a dash of tabasco, but NO sugar. and perhaps, some stewed okra and tomatos, and a side of black eye peas. or ref. craig clayborne's recepies; he was from mississippi, and the new york times certainly thought he knew what he was doing. yes, i can see it now, TARA. yummy. oh, and don't forget the peach pie.

oh, irish eyes, how i agree with you. i'm also from the south, born and raised, though lived in the north for 30 years prior to coming home. oh, oh, oh, fried chicken done the 'southern way,' with good bisquits and gravy, good greens, cornbread, and all the fixin's. and lots of good old sweet tea with lemon. there are lots of cruisers from the south, and our cuisine is just as celebrated as many others. but.... someone has to know how to cook fried chicken the right way -- small chickens, coated in flour with a minimum of spices, sans gooey coating. fried fast and drained. crispy and heavenly. corn bread that is MOSTLY corn meal, not flour. greens stewed slowly with a bit of ham or, lord forbid, bacon or fatback, and maybe a dash of tabasco, but NO sugar. and perhaps, some stewed okra and tomatos, and a side of black eye peas. or ref. craig clayborne's recepies; he was from mississippi, and the new york times certainly thought he knew what he was doing. yes, i can see it now, TARA. yummy. oh, and don't forget the peach pie.

Now you have done it, you have made me VERY hungry!!:D

A REALLy good Deli (not a sandwich shop that serves cold cut sandwiches, wraps and grilled sandwiches) , but a real NY Deli would be awesome.

The Stage Deli recently closed after almost 80 years in business. Maybe they would consider it ....... One can always dream *LOL*

No Mexican...the East coast does not do Mexican well...I can get the best BBQ in the world here:D

would love a really good seafood....lots of shellfish....and a good Deli with really good deli meats....and now I am hungry:):):)

No Mexican...the East coast does not do Mexican well...I can get the best BBQ in the world here

would love a really good seafood....lots of shellfish....and a good Deli with really good deli meats....and now I am hungry

Ah so, Jane ..... :)

Here is the problem.

I am from Boston and want Mexican as our choices are limited though decidedly getting very much better.

You are from No. Carolina and want shellfish. I'm from Boston and get all the wonderful shellfish we want. The problem for a ship serving shellfish in an upcharge alternative restaurant for a less than ultra deluxe cruise line is they can't have all that fresh fish. Frozen lobster, scallops, clams...... not good. IMO :D

This is a fun conversation but goes to show how hard it is for HAL to please all of us, all the time. :)

That kills me Stage Deli closed. We had some amazing lunches there. :)

They were in Boston for a few years but then 'went away'.

Sad to see them close.

You still have The Carnegie a couple blocks away, which is very good also, but I always loved the Stage.

And of course you have to have those wise mouth old waiters to Kibbitz with to get the full effect. *LOL*

No Mexican...the East coast does not do Mexican well...I can get the best BBQ in the world here:D

would love a really good seafood....lots of shellfish....and a good Deli with really good deli meats....and now I am hungry:):):)

Glad we agree on the BBQ - the Carolina BBQ is the best IMHO. Some folks from Memphis or St. Louis or Texas may disagree with me.

I would love to see more great seafood/shellfish here in NC as well as on a ship, although I agree with Sail7 that it probably would be impossible for them to pull it off well. I lived in Boston for 6 years and I have never stopped loving the fresh seafood up there. No place else (except maybe Alaska) compares IMO.

Glad we agree on the BBQ - the Carolina BBQ is the best IMHO. Some folks from Memphis or St. Louis or Texas may disagree with me.

That's all we need... BBQ Wars on a Dam ship, LOL! :eek:

It is impossible to please everyone, every time. Take lunch in the Tamarind for example: people seem to really like it but I find it disappointing since I can get so much better Dim Sum in Chinatown. But I just don't go to the Tamarind for lunch and that frees up space for the fans. ;)

No more Stage Deli--I didn't know. I grew up in the Bronx and the Stage Deli was a great day trip into Manhattan. very sad.

And, "high end Mexican"--hmmm, isn't this an oxymoron??:D;)

Actually, we have great Mexican food in New Mexico--our chili's are the best in the world (just ask any chili farmer here)!!

ML

Ah so, Jane ..... :)

Here is the problem.

I am from Boston and want Mexican as our choices are limited though decidedly getting very much better.

You are from No. Carolina and want shellfish. I'm from Boston and get all the wonderful shellfish we want. The problem for a ship serving shellfish in an upcharge alternative restaurant for a less than ultra deluxe cruise line is they can't have all that fresh fish. Frozen lobster, scallops, clams...... not good. IMO :D

This is a fun conversation but goes to show how hard it is for HAL to please all of us, all the time. :)

Funny isn't it!! I swear the subs taste so much better in Boston...I think the meat is fresher or something..just cannot get good deli meat here...and I was raised in California...cannot stand the Mexican around here!!

Judy...I guess I would take the frozen in place of fresh...although we do get great shrimp at the coast...and oysters from the Chesapeake Bay.

On my cruise out of Boston this summer I am spending all my shore excursion money on Lobster and fish...have already told DH...he just laughs at me:D

I would love to see more great seafood/shellfish here in NC as well as on a ship, although I agree with Sail7 that it probably would be impossible for them to pull it off well. I lived in Boston for 6 years and I have never stopped loving the fresh seafood up there. No place else (except maybe Alaska) compares IMO.

We actually ordered live 2 pound lobsters this Christmas from the Fresh Market in Greensboro...they were wonderful..but cannot wait to have some New England Seafood this summer...oldest son was born in Boston:):):)

That's all we need... BBQ Wars on a Dam ship, LOL! :eek:

It is impossible to please everyone, every time. Take lunch in the Tamarind for example: people seem to really like it but I find it disappointing since I can get so much better Dim Sum in Chinatown. But I just don't go to the Tamarind for lunch and that frees up space for the fans. ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a war!!:o

And I agree, your Asian food in the northeast is excellent.

We actually ordered live 2 pound lobsters this Christmas from the Fresh Market in Greensboro...they were wonderful..but cannot wait to have some New England Seafood this summer...oldest son was born in Boston:):):)

Maine (New England) lobster is the best ever, I agree. I will rarely, if ever, order it anywhere else. I got too spoiled when I lived up there.

Archived